Gransnet forums

House and home

Prestige Pressure Cookers

(13 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 21-Mar-21 09:00:38

Before the days of microwaves, my great time saver was my pressure cooker. It was in constant use. It was great for soups and stews. I also used mine to bottle fruit in kilner jars.
Mine was made of aluminum then later they were made from stainless steel.
Times have changed so much and I wonder if anyone still uses a pressure cooker nowadays.

Elusivebutterfly Sun 21-Mar-21 09:23:18

I used to use my old one a lot in the 70s and 80s but gradually stopped using it.
I now have a pressure cooker function on my instant pot and it is useful. I prefer it to the slow cooker I was using though I'm more nervous about it than I used to be.

MrsEggy Sun 21-Mar-21 09:25:36

I still have one, I use it to cook oranges for marmalade, and for soups and stews.

Greyduster Sun 21-Mar-21 09:29:27

Like you, I always had a pressure cooker - bought my first in 1967. It was aluminium. I’ve had two stainless steel ones, but the latest one now has a dent in it so I don’t use it under pressure anymore but still use it for steaming food, especially steamed puddings. Rather than a new pressure cooker I would buy an instant pot.

merlotgran Sun 21-Mar-21 09:32:00

My mother in law taught me how to use a pressure cooker back in the early seventies and I've never been without one since.

Like mrsmopp, I started with an aluminium one, then stainless steel and now I have a 5ltr electric multifunction one.

I'll be downsizing to a smaller size before too long so will pass it on to DD.

aggie Sun 21-Mar-21 09:34:38

I have two pressure cookers , great for doing the Christmas puds , and so good for quick soups
It’s in use at least once a week ,
I have a slow cooker but it’s hiding in the cupboard , I prefer to do casseroles and other slow recipes in the low oven , better flavour

Marmight Sun 21-Mar-21 09:43:20

I used mine often until I got an induction hob so it went to the graveyard for redundant pressure cookers. My Mum used hers daily. In the early years, mid 50s, she managed to relocate the rice pudding, via the valve, to the kitchen ceiling ?

eazybee Sun 21-Mar-21 09:53:33

I still use my pressure cooker, bought in 1975, but only to cook a gammon joint or make leek and potato soup.

Franbern Sun 21-Mar-21 09:56:27

Loved mine back in the day. My AC all remember how much it was used, so good at being able to use cheap cuts of meat and making tender, making sponge puddings, making marmalade. I was delighted when, a few years back I found I was able to still buy replacement valves, and rubber ring for this very old machine. Never, ever had any problems when using it.
It got dented and not really fit for purpose, but I still kept it as a large saucepan. With reluctance I have got rid of it now - only me to cook for, combi-microwave and slow cooker has replaced all its uses.

fiorentina51 Sun 21-Mar-21 10:15:07

I used to use mine often too. Mainly for soups and stews and a Christmas pud. It is still in the cupboard but is now used as a big saucepan for batch cooking etc.

Redhead56 Sun 21-Mar-21 10:39:12

I did have a Prestige pressure cooker years ago. I now use an electric multi pressure cooker I bought from Aldi. Its really good for joints lamb shanks and oxtail it make a really nice cheesecake. I use a slow cooker too.

JackyB Sun 21-Mar-21 11:19:10

I still have mine but haven't used it for ages. I wanted to change the aluminium one for stainless steel when people started realising that aluminium pots could cause Alzheimers. However, I only wanted the kind I had always had, with weights to keep the pressure in and no complicated mechanism. I haven't been able to find one like that and somehow got out of the habit.

I used to use it for sterilising baby bottles, etc. And it was invaluable when camping, being a great saving on gas and time. And washing up because you did everything in the one pot. To save space in the car, I packed it full of tea towels, tin openers and stuff for the journey.

timetogo2016 Sun 21-Mar-21 11:23:36

I had one in the 80`s,found it very heavy but used it a lot.
Made great stews with it too,but not much else really.