Gransnet forums

House and home

the sound of small feet in the attic

(107 Posts)
kjmpde Tue 23-Mar-21 21:22:05

we think we have mice or something else in the loft. That happened over 12 months ago and we used tea tree oil in little pots and the smell seemed to work . we had nothing for months BUT now the new eucalyptus oil is not working . tried menthol crystals but again nothing works. The last resort is poison and it is a last resort so the question is a) has anything else worked in removing mice (the plug in does not work) and b) if you have used poison what is the best one? thanks

Noreen3 Wed 24-Mar-21 12:03:42

I had rats in my loft last year.Pest control were very good,he did what he had to,put some bait down.It's a council property,they can charge now for pest control,but I didn't have to pay,as my neighbours had ,and still have,a lot of rubbish on their garden.They admitted that they had seen rats there,but just laughed about it.My problem is that pest control man said he needed to check their loft too,and also the back of their propery,as there may be an entry point there.But they refused to let him do anything,the housing officer was refused entry too.They have learning difficulties and disabilities,so they can't be upset,but it didn't matter that I was terrified.They are animal lovers too,so am I,but there are times when you have to be cruel,dealing with rats in the loft is one of them

Noreen3 Wed 24-Mar-21 12:04:38

supposed to say Council property

Craftycat Wed 24-Mar-21 12:07:34

Get a cat- they will soon smell it & leave!

Cornishgreenhouse Wed 24-Mar-21 12:21:48

We had an unwelcome visitor at Christmas- a gnawing at approx 9.30pm in the roof each evening. Turns out it was a rat (we near a harbour). Check the droppings, you can identify if it’s a rat or mouse by colour and size. We worked out it was climbing up a drainpipe to get there so as well as a trap put wire wool around the drainpipe where it meets the wall and also in any holes we could see in the attic. Apparently wire wool to them is like walking on glass ... we never heard another squeak, nothing in the trap so maybe it put them off. The rat was later caught by a neighbours cat!

Barb22 Wed 24-Mar-21 12:39:21

We live in the country and get little visitors we use humane traps and let them go ...

nightwriter Wed 24-Mar-21 12:39:36

We have just discovered rats in our shed and someone has suggested that the smell of vicks vapour rub will drive them away. I'll let you know in a couple of days if its been succesful.

Granny1810 Wed 24-Mar-21 12:49:20

Please tell me, I wasn't the only one who thought you meant ghostly children in the attic. ?

Nanannotgrandma Wed 24-Mar-21 13:04:46

Poison is a cruel way to kill mice. Use a standard mousetrap which kills instantly. However, you need to find how they are getting in and block it, otherwise you will have a constant problem.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 24-Mar-21 13:09:57

Borrow two cats that are known for catching both mice and rats, or have in the rat-catcher.

I dislike poison, as you then have to crawl around up there gathering dead mice or rats.

You need to a) know whether it is mice, rats, a house-marten or squirrels, in order to get rid of them effectively.

b) know how and where they are getting in, because until you can prevent them getting into the house, the problem will not go away, even if you cull the creatures.

Is there anything up there that could be attracting them? Mice eat practically anything, paper, Christmas decorations, clothing etc. and unfortunately insulation and chew on electric wiring, so you really must get rid of them.

If you use the attic for storage, now is the time for a thorough clearing -out and making sure that whatever you store is in plastic boxes with tight fitting lids, as anything else except metal boxes with lids, mice or rats can chew through.

Aveline Wed 24-Mar-21 13:10:55

Years ago when I was a child my bedroom was in the attic. One morning I turned over in bed and met the eyes of a tiny mouse. It had climbed up my lovely (!) brushed nylon sheets. I was thrilled. It was so sweet. However, my Mum went hysterical when I told her. Dad brought home a lovely ginger cat that very day. No more mice in that house or in any of my subsequent homes as I've always had cats ever since - because I love them and always wanted one but wasn't allowed one until until my little visitor.

JaneJudge Wed 24-Mar-21 13:12:00

we thought we had them in the wall cavities (that or rats) and put plug in everywhere. They are called HAIKO

www.amazon.co.uk/HAZKO-Ultrasonic-Pest-Repellent-Packs/dp/B0893FGBCT?tag=gransnetforum-21

and we blocked up the holes in the masonry with wire wool, wherever there were gaps and we haven't heard anything since

JaneJudge Wed 24-Mar-21 13:12:23

they are actually called hazko
smile

Luckygirl Wed 24-Mar-21 13:53:21

We had a rat electrocute itself by chewing through a wire. We found it when we had some work done - it was a skeleton.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 24-Mar-21 13:57:35

Oh Whiff! What about the poor hedgehogs who will in all likelihood eat the bait and die? Please, please don’t put bait in the garden, even a bait box will let the hedgehogs in and it will be killed.
Kill rodents indoors, but let nature take care of them in the garden.

Whiff Wed 24-Mar-21 14:25:41

Oopsadaisy1 if I had a hedgehog I won't do it. Had one at my old house it lived under the Holly bush loved watching it at night. No way one can get into my garden. No gaps anywhere. Unless it can climb over 6' fencing. Unfortunately mice can.

Alioop Wed 24-Mar-21 14:28:11

My plug in didn't work. I lived in the country and I was tortured with them, they freak me out. I ended up getting pest control who set up camera to see how they were getting in. They were running up the outside wall, coming down the chimney where there was a little hole and into the attic. Clever wee field mice.
Had to end up and setting a lot of traps as they were breeding in my insulation and poo everywhere. I couldn't sleep with noise of them in the wall cavities at night and I worried if they chewed electric wiring. Get rid anyway you can!

chazwin Wed 24-Mar-21 14:31:12

kjmpde

we think we have mice or something else in the loft. That happened over 12 months ago and we used tea tree oil in little pots and the smell seemed to work . we had nothing for months BUT now the new eucalyptus oil is not working . tried menthol crystals but again nothing works. The last resort is poison and it is a last resort so the question is a) has anything else worked in removing mice (the plug in does not work) and b) if you have used poison what is the best one? thanks

There are better solutions to poison.
You obvious care about the mice since you have tried harmless remedies. But moustraps are better than poison for a number of reasons.
First is that poison causes suffering. Mice can be poisoned and find there way into the stomaches of cats who will get ill.
You might consider humane traps, where you can set them free far from home.
Beware you might have something larger than a mouse.

Candelle Wed 24-Mar-21 14:34:47

We have just discovered what is pattering about in our loft: rooks!

To our astonishment we stood outside and watched them pop out from under the soffits or bargeboards (the bit under the pantiles).

We are in a quandary...they must be a nesting pair so do we wait until their brood has hatched or, evict them now?

Would anyone here know if they would have mites/fleas or other creatures living on them?

Anyone know if rooks eat cables etc., as do mice and rats?

arosebyanyothername Wed 24-Mar-21 14:41:25

We’ve had this problem twice since we moved here. Once with mice and then collared doves.
We bought a high frequency thingamajig that worked for us. There are different frequencies for different pests.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 24-Mar-21 14:48:44

That’s a relief whiff ,
as you say mice and rats can run up straight walls and along the tops of fences, something that hedgehogs have yet to accomplish!

Buttonjugs Wed 24-Mar-21 14:49:24

Getting mice in my house would be my worst nightmare. No, rats would be but... years ago I temporarily living at my mum’s house and they had a mice infestation while I was there. They had been in a sack of potatoes her husband had bought from a farm. I slept in my car until pest control got rid of them. Horrible! Since then, every time I have moved house I haven’t been able to sleep for the first couple of nights listening out for them. I am so afraid of them it overwhelms my compassion I’m afraid. I hope the people who are feeling sorry for the mice don’t eat meat, because that’s rather hypocritical in my opinion.

Flakesdayout Wed 24-Mar-21 15:01:13

Many years ago we had rats in the garden, which were poisoned and I must admit it was a horrible death. When then had a couple of mice which we got rid of humanely. The cats will bring in the occasional mouse which we let go away from the house, but we did have some in our loft space and these were caught in a humane trap. I used to pick them up when the cats brought them in but after getting bit quite nastily and having to have tetanus jabs and antibiotics I wont do that again.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 24-Mar-21 15:37:02

Candelle if they are nesting you aren’t allowed to remove them.

M0nica Wed 24-Mar-21 16:16:09

Our roof was invaded by squirrels. We discovered that when they ate through the wiring for the theft alarm at 2.00am. We had to sit in the kitchen with pillows over our ears for an hour and a half until a repair man arrived. Luckily the alarm was ony going off indoors, not outdoors.

When we got into the loft, which is quite difficult, we found they had mounded up all the insulation in one bay of the roof and built a huge dray and were starting a second one, in the next bay.

They were getting in via our neighbours house because there was no proper party wall at roof level. We got a builder in to put in a proper partition wall that was security and fire proof and that solved the problem.

The squirrels had also eaten all the plastic sheath off several electricity cables so we had to do some rewiring as well.

Sgilley Wed 24-Mar-21 17:02:25

We found our problem was caused by a wasp nest inside the loft. Rodents eat wasps! Got rid of wasp nest and blocked hole with cement and vaccumed out nest. Seems to have solved problem ???