Gransnet forums

House and home

Oven cleaners professional or DIY?

(78 Posts)
Sago Wed 14-Apr-21 16:29:42

My ovens work hard and they have not had a professional clean for about 3 years.
S I have been doing it myself

I get sucked into buying all kinds of miracle or magic creams,foams,and sprays thinking this time it will be different.
It never is!
I scrub, remove layers of skin with nasty chemicals,ruin my nails, contort my spine and never get anything like the result on the you tube video.

So I’ve had a professional clean today.
It’s like new.

However, here’s the heads up..... one of the products the chap used was Pink Stuff paste.
He said it was better than a lot of the professional products and much cheaper.

I’m getting a tub to try and keep on top of the job in between cleans.

Anyone here had success with it?

Teacheranne Wed 14-Apr-21 23:34:32

As someone who lives alone who has just started employing a cleaner for a couple of hours every fortnight, an oven cleaning company is next on my list! I have always hated doing housework and now I am retired I refuse to waste my time doing it! Lockdown has forced me to spend more time in my house and I am going on strike!

Loz500 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:27:29

I use Pink Stuff and it really is good. Although perhaps dont use often enough lol

kissngate Sun 18-Apr-21 14:14:31

I use Pink Stuff for the oven shelves but it makes no difference to the oven door. Brillo pads work better however nothing beats the man from Ovenclean.

shysal Sun 18-Apr-21 16:08:07

Oven Pride makes the job almost a pleasure. Sparkling results with no elbow grease.

FlexibleFriend Sun 18-Apr-21 17:12:47

I'm disabled but manage to clean the oven myself, just put the shelves in a bag to soak and the rest just takes a quick wipe, it's a doddle. Oven pride is excellent and any stubborn bits just require a bit longer in the bag. I discovered Oven Pride when needing to clean my sons flat after tenants moved out and I think the oven hadn't been cleaned in years there was so much burnt on crud. I left the shelves to soak for several days and they came out like new. Virtually no effort from me. I now use it about once a year on my own oven and it's virtually effort free.

Hymnbook Sun 18-Apr-21 23:11:24

How do you clean the glass door without getting the Ovenpride on the rubber seals?

CafeAuLait Mon 19-Apr-21 07:36:44

What about installing a self cleaning oven next time you need one? We had that option but decided not to go for it. I don't find it hard to clean the oven. I use some foaming spray.

Ailidh Mon 19-Apr-21 08:05:03

Just had my done professionally on Friday. £60 for a double oven. The top oven wasn't bad, the bottom oven was grim.
Over the years, one minute I was cleaning the oven every use, then suddenly, it seemed, it became horrible.
It was worth it to have a brand new looking oven but I've promised myself to Do Better in future.

Our local b&m sells Pink Stuff. ?

Jillykins3 Mon 19-Apr-21 08:38:17

I can highly recommend the pink stuff. Got my tub from Poundland and they also sell a pink cleaning spray.... great for the bathroom.

FlexibleFriend Mon 19-Apr-21 09:43:44

For the glass I use white vinegar and baking soda. Pour it on and let it fizz away working its magic, anything really stubborn gets help from a ceramic hob scraper.

JaneJudge Mon 19-Apr-21 09:51:50

A man in my village does mine, double oven £60. I am quite allergic to all the oven cleaners so I would rather pay

WishIwasyounger Mon 19-Apr-21 10:33:14

I've checked out Oven Mate and it says not suitable for self cleaning ovens. I'm in rented property so how do I know whether the oven is self clean or not?

Camelotclub Mon 19-Apr-21 11:28:22

When we moved into this house the oven base had half an inch of dark brown gunky gel on it. I refused to use till it had been professionally cleaned and waited about 6 weeks for them to come!

readsalot Mon 19-Apr-21 11:29:19

I use Oven Pride and really pleased with the results. Pink Stuff works on other thing but not my oven.

TillyWhiz Mon 19-Apr-21 11:34:40

I have a Lakeland mat on the floor of the oven and self cleaning sides. But I too recommend bicarbonate of soda, tried it very recently and it was brilliant at getting the oven door clean with very little effort. I've since cleaned the bathroom with it!!

Sing19 Mon 19-Apr-21 11:37:32

I had my oven professionally cleaned before I moved house and it was worth every penny. The guy asked if I cooked a lot of chicken as chicken fat is the worst thing for ovens apparently.

paperbackbutterfly Mon 19-Apr-21 11:37:56

My friend had her oven professionally cleaned. The next day it would not work. The repair man said the acidic cleaning fluid had eaten through the electric in the fan and he'd seen this happen before with professional cleaning. So I do mine myself! I use an eco friendly product that does require more elbow grease but I think it's worth it.

leeds22 Mon 19-Apr-21 11:40:46

Professional cleaner, deserves every penny.

Davida1968 Mon 19-Apr-21 11:40:53

I do both: professional every now and then, and clean it myself with Oven Mate & the Lakeland Ltd "kit". A professional clean is fantastic - we had one when we were selling our house and truly I think that's what decided the people who bought it. (They were very impressed with the oven!)

LMW1 Mon 19-Apr-21 11:48:07

My Husband cleans ours smile

Jillybird Mon 19-Apr-21 12:03:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Juneandarchie1 Mon 19-Apr-21 12:09:14

Marigolds and Brillo pads seem to do the trick for me, on shelves and glass, although I don’t do the sides as they are self cleaning, or the bottom as I have a liner that I just wash every now and then.

Lulubelle500 Mon 19-Apr-21 12:14:50

How strange! I just booked my usual oven cleaner fifteen minutes ago, checked my emails and there was the post on oven cleaning. I used to do it myself using the products with the skull and crossbones on them until one day one of my DILs said: Life's too short, get it done professionally. So I did and, since then, I've done it every year. My kitchen opens onto the garden and gets all the sun (when it shines) so this morning when I came down there was my oven lit up in all its dirty glory. So....

GardenofEngland Mon 19-Apr-21 12:36:54

I do my own use the evil bag cleaning stuff in the garden but it is a chore I hate. My daughter has hers professionally cleaned twice a year and at £50 a pop it's not cheap but it is stress free no spillage of corrosive stuff and the oven looks great. I think I will just stump up and pay once a year for the luxurysmile

Bijou Mon 19-Apr-21 12:41:28

I never clean my oven. It is a mini oven and my cleaner keeps it in good order.