Gransnet forums

House and home

Outsize Wine Glass.

(12 Posts)
Franbern Fri 14-May-21 09:56:26

Oh, I had one of those back in the sixties. Green glass one. Wish I had kept it -sure I would havefound so many uses for it now decoratively.

Mapleleaf Thu 13-May-21 16:50:40

Fill them with sweets, perhaps, or put in some pot pouri (spelling?) to give a lovely fragrance to a room. There are good suggestions already given, so perhaps some of them appeal?
Have you got many?

JackyB Thu 13-May-21 16:47:08

Most of the ideas are Christmas-themed but you can adapt them for any season with silk flowers, glass baubles or natural items such as pine cones.

JackyB Thu 13-May-21 16:42:39

I have seen ideas for these where you fill them with baubles or fairy lights, put a card over them, turn them upside down and decorate the stem or place a candle on the top, which is actually the base. Something like that.

For something more permanent, definitely put small plants in it, a dried flower arrangement or fresh flowers.

For a party drink, serve some punch or Pimms in it with a small ladle for decanting into smaller glasses.

At a party or barbecue, put ice cubes in it. Or crisps or sweets.

Maybe stand it decoratively in the bathroom with bath salts or cotton wool balls in it.

I'm sure people will pay a pound for it if it's not chipped or gone milky.

Greyduster Thu 13-May-21 16:31:55

We have some of those - one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time! Never used them. I will watch this thread!

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 15:47:09

I like the table decoration idea, could look lovely.?

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-May-21 15:00:19

Nice for floral table decorations?
Candles? - have seen some tea-lights with shades in these.

kittylester Thu 13-May-21 14:47:44

Use them at Christmas with lights, baubles etc.

Calendargirl Thu 13-May-21 14:40:30

Would be pleased to make £1 Chestnut

Chestnut Thu 13-May-21 14:36:13

Take them to the car boot sale and give away for £1 just to get rid of them. ?

Aldom Thu 13-May-21 14:19:09

Miniature bottle garden perhaps?

Calendargirl Thu 13-May-21 14:16:20

Just been in loft, sorting stuff for when we can do a car boot.
Any suggestions for an alternative use for those huge wine glasses that hold a bottle of wine?
Don’t think they will sell, and am sure charity shops get plenty of them.