Gransnet forums

House and home

drying washing

(64 Posts)
busybee6969 Wed 19-May-21 22:40:13

moving soon , always had a washing line outside,none at new house,what are the whirly round ones like ,never had one,or shall i put a couple of hooks up and tie a washing line up,

mokryna Thu 15-Jul-21 15:49:55

What did you decide on Busybee?

Coolgran65 Wed 14-Jul-21 22:30:29

I’ve never had a rotary just a long line. One very tall metal pole cemented in at the end of the garden and a fitting on the wall of the house. It’s wonderful to see bed linen blowing on a sunny breezy day like today.

My sister had rotary lines that always looked drunk.

Lin52 Wed 14-Jul-21 22:29:05

Have always had washing line, after this one snapped, I spoke to my neighbour who has a rotary dryer, maybe looking to change to one, and says she’s very envious of my line, and wishes she had room for one, as her dryer doesn’t always let all dry. A new line brought for me. Still each to their own, and sometimes not enough room for a line.

welbeck Wed 14-Jul-21 22:26:46

you can buy the cord to wind it around again.
it's a good design.
also get a cover to protect when folded down.
less likely to be chewed maybe ?

DillytheGardener Wed 14-Jul-21 22:21:26

Mine just died a death by my dogs chewing on it while it was folded down (rotary) so watching to see what others recommend.

Mollygo Wed 14-Jul-21 22:14:27

A 4 side rotary is great. Takes two lots of washing or bedding and towels. It folds down and I’d covered when not in use. Ours isn’t set in concrete but is OK.

welbeck Wed 14-Jul-21 18:35:50

oh i loved to see those, glimpsed up from the side of old large divided houses.
it looked like sails on a ship's rigging.
i thought it very romantic and exciting.
never had to deal with the practical aspects. everything is wonderful to a child. so long ago. yet fondly remembered.

Whiff Wed 14-Jul-21 18:34:12

I used to have a rotary airer in my old garden. But here I have a line which I attach to 2 hooks. I only put it up when I use it. Which I prefer. Also the clothes dry better.

Franbern Wed 14-Jul-21 18:28:26

When I was small, used to visit my g.parents who lived in a very large shared house. Their main Living Room was a very large one at the rear of the house - (2nd floor). They had a washing line from the window there which ran across that long garden with a system which meant my G.Ma could sit at the wndow, pegging clothes onto that line, then pushing it away from her to bring a clear spot for next item to be pegged out. All done in reverse to bring the dry washing in. It was magical to me then, can imagine how difficult it must hve been to use, so slow and trying to bring washing in quickly when it rained must have been a nightmare.

M0nica Wed 14-Jul-21 16:13:28

Never had anything else, It is nice and near the utility room door and hidden away. In our last house we would shut it down and get it out of the way if visitors came and we were all outside.

However do have it set in concrete in the right sized hole. All aternatives fail far too soon, if they work atall and the rotary dryer wobbles.

Infinity2 Wed 14-Jul-21 15:45:28

I use two clothes airers I bought from Argos. I haven’t got anything high to tie a clothes line to, so had no choice. I use one for bedding and towels and the other for my clothes. Everything dries really quickly on them outside, and if it’s raining or wintry I can stand them indoors as well. If it’s windy I put pegs on them so my pants don’t blow away.

Blossoming Wed 14-Jul-21 14:40:42

We have a small garden with a large pond, a workshop and a greenhouse so hanging space is limited. Also my various impairments and compact (not short nonono) height make pegging things out a trial. Mr. b has a habit of boobytrapping the garden with heavy parts and various tools for me to trip over. I can’t remember who in GN recommended this to me, I bought a folding 4-arm dryer and it’s perfect for me. It’s just above waist height when opened and it folds up and goes into a storage bag when not in use. Mr. B has to open and close it for me as I can’t manage it one-handed. It goes out on the patio and dries a full weekly wash.

Caleo Sat 26-Jun-21 10:07:29

I walked into my whirly washing lines and get an awful bash on the head. I much prefer straight washing lines and have three of them tied to trees and fences.

Franbern Sat 26-Jun-21 08:22:53

Before I moved into my flat, I loved my four-armed rotary in the garden. Had a washing basket which had four foldable legs (Lakeside), so could take this from my utility room to stand close to rotary and two loads of washing could be pegged out without me having to do hardly any moving, or bending. Again the same when taking dry washing down. I could stand in one spot (on dry patio), and take down and fold washing into this basket without bending. Great when one has problems with mobility,

Going into a flat, everything is dried in my heat pump tumble dryer. With limited room, I changed that lovely folding leg basket for a collapsible one, which takes minimum storage space, but gives me a full-size laundry basket taking my washing from washing machine to tumble dryer.

Have not used a long line for many decades.

Oldbat1 Fri 25-Jun-21 20:50:50

We have rotary aka whirligig. I also have a pulley in the kitchen above the Aga which I loved ve.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 25-Jun-21 17:11:35

I don’t like rotary ones, love my conventional line. Love to see the long line of washing blowing in the breeze

JackyB Sat 29-May-21 10:20:26

I prefer a conventional washing line but have a rotary one. I try and wash little and often so the washing is not all squashed up together but well spread out, preferably only round the outer line.

lynx Thu 27-May-21 22:32:55

Another fan of the rotary. We had a line when we moved to this bungalow but the garden is small, so about 7 foot of line! With a four arm rotary I can put out a weeks wash. Dries just as quickly. Concreted in but still removable for when we want to sit outside.

NotAGran55 Thu 27-May-21 14:20:21

I have the same as Muse . It’s great that is only on display whilst it is in use .
Mine is attached to the back of the house , across to a tree , through a loop and back to the other side in a V shape .

Buffybee Thu 27-May-21 13:26:25

Another fan of the Rotary Dryer, as others have mentioned the good quality four sided ones are best, and make sure you have it set in concrete.
I find the advantage is, I can put my washing basket on a garden chair and stand in the same position as I turn the washing around towards me.
I usually fold large sheets and duvet covers in half, then turn around later.
Also they're much neater, no posts in the garden and you can remove completely and put in the garage if you want.

TerriBull Thu 27-May-21 13:12:18

Yay! washing out on the rotary line today, about time too! Actual sunshine what a horribly wet May it's been.

nadateturbe Thu 27-May-21 12:54:30

I have had both. think a washing line dries clothes quicker than a rotary.

silverlining48 Thu 27-May-21 12:42:42

It’s a lovely day for a change and I have just hung out my third lot of washing on my long line. The first is already dry and back indoors and the line has two loads on it and is full.
I use two props and love to see it all blowing in the breeze. I think it dries quicker too.
If I put my dd washing on her rotary, I make sure everything is evenly spaced. It’s a long time since I did that though...blooming Covid.

B9exchange Thu 27-May-21 12:37:21

Oh dear, I told DH when we got married that there would be no children unless I got a tumble dryer, and virtually everything goes in that, unless has to be dried flat, which I do indoors unless it is really sunny. I save electricity in other ways, but for me life is too short to be pegging clothes out and removing them and wondering it if is going to rain. All power to those that enjoy it!

Nandalot Thu 27-May-21 12:31:03

When I moved to this house, I insisted on a washing line as my previous rotary airer did not seem very efficient. However, after 30 years of getting my feet wet on dewy grass I decided to go back to a rotary. This time I was able to afford a good quality four arm dryer. It is great. It seems to dry the clothes as efficiently if not better than before and as I can stand on the patio no more wet feet!