Gransnet forums

House and home

In House Security Cameras

(16 Posts)
TaraLee Sat 22-May-21 11:17:13

My son and his wife just had security cameras installed inside their home. They said it’s because there are always workers and cleaning people there when no one is home. They recently had a baby and I will be watching their child when his wife goes back to work. One of these cameras points at the couch, I don’t know where the rest of them are, but I’m sure I’ll see them if I look.

I am extremely uncomfortable in a home where the owners are recording their invited guests. Apparently these cameras were active on Mother’s Day, unbeknownst to me and my family members who were there.

I understand not everyone cares about this. My husband doesn’t mind. But I will feel self-conscious every time I’m in that house. I feel it is an incredible breech of reasonable expectation of privacy. I don’t know what to do. If I say something and they take them down, it’ll look like I’m, I don’t know, something bad. If they say, basically, too bad, get used to it, I will be uncomfortable visiting. Aaaackk!

biglouis Sat 22-May-21 12:02:46

One of my relatives had a stroke 4 years ago and it was days before we found out because he could not get to a phone. With his consent he had a camera (attached to my system so I pay the fees) installed in the hall of his flat. It doesn't infringe on his privacy but does show that he is moving about between rooms which I would expect to see a few times a day if he was up and about. It does set my mind at rest. He does have a small notice in the hall stating that there is a camera so visitors know there is one.

cornishpatsy Sat 22-May-21 12:26:56

When you are in their house it will be as though they are there too, which I expect you are comfortable with.

I think you will soon forget the cameras are there as you do in shops and other outside places.

tanith Sat 22-May-21 12:28:05

Could you ask them to be disabled when are there babysitting even if just the living room one?

MerylStreep Sat 22-May-21 12:33:40

My daughter has them because of an incident some time ago.
I’d forgotten they had them until you mentioned it.

GillT57 Sat 22-May-21 13:20:42

I too would feel uncomfortable with cameras everywhere, why on earth are they having them running while guests are in the house?

CanadianGran Sat 22-May-21 22:17:37

I understand your discomfort. Can you just let them know if makes you uncomfortable and ask them to turn them off? Either that or throw a tea-towel over them while you are there.

TaraLee Sun 23-May-21 12:44:01

Thank you all for your thoughts. Yes, I will cover them while I am there babysitting. And I did explain to them that some people, myself included, will find being recorded while a guest in their home an invasion of privacy.

CatNurse Sun 13-Jun-21 22:08:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LtEve Mon 14-Jun-21 08:55:44

I would feel very uncomfortable. What happens if you go to adjust your bra or knickers, children undress in camera range or you change a nappy on your knee on the sofa? No system is totally unhackable and you have no idea who is viewing it. By all means have them on when the house is empty and make sure there are signs warning cleaners etc so they don’t get caught flashing but not when you have guests.

M0nica Mon 14-Jun-21 09:33:22

I would find them a really intrusion of my privacy when I was there.

I do understand a camera in the hall to monitor movement because this will capture intruders moving about, but when you say cameras and wanting to monitor cleaners and workmen, who are always there, why, do they run a business from home?

It strikes me that all this monitoring smacks of paranoia. I would just refuse to go to the house, with such excessive monitoring, for all the reasons and more mentioned in LtEve's post.

TaraLee Tue 29-Jun-21 12:29:35

Update: All’s well that ends well. I have babysat several times now, and after the first time I told my daughter-in-law that I ate my lunch in a corner like a shameful fat person.

They removed the cameras. ?

JaneJudge Tue 29-Jun-21 12:32:12

brilliant grin

kissngate Tue 29-Jun-21 16:04:00

My daughter has cameras inside and out. The outside ones were installed first due to incidents of daytime burglaries in the area. The inside ones were installed after she hired cleaners and soon realised the work she paid for wasnt being done. Once the company knew they were being recorded there were no issues after that. I was very conscious of them when I first looked after my gc. But you soon forget plus I was too busy running round and nappy changing to give them a second thought.

V3ra Tue 29-Jun-21 16:22:22

I can see that the cameras might provide useful evidence in the event of an incident, but on a routine day to day basis I can't see how anyone would have the time to watch the recordings.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 29-Jul-21 18:01:00

While some people maybe bothered about visiting a home with in house cameras on, it wouldn’t bother me in the least, I used to clean a house that had cameras videoing constantly, I was told when I applied for the job, and had seen the sticker on the window next to front door,