Gransnet forums

House and home

Has anyone tried a Roomba?

(55 Posts)
ExD Mon 14-Jun-21 15:43:41

I have a seriously bad back (broke it 2 years ago) and hoovering is really painful as anyone suffering from the condition will tell you.
I have looked at these robot vaccum things - and wondered.
They are pricey, and I'm not well off but would be willing to shell out if I thought they'd do a reasonable job. I can see they wouldn't be good with corners and edges, although these could be managed on an 'as needed' basis. But, living on a farm, I wonder how they'd cope with hay and straw?
At the moment I have a heavy upright Dyson - and I do do a lot of hoovering.
Any thoughts?

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 16:59:55

My cheapo version is lovely.
Still going strong.
Picking up enough to keep the mess down a bit.

Durga Fri 16-Jul-21 16:34:48

I’ve had one for years…the expensive model and finally gave it away. I foiled it more trouble than it was worth and no good place to keep it. I have a small townhome. Bought acBissel stick…love it.

muse Thu 24-Jun-21 17:00:58

I have heard of them but never priced one up.

Roomba have a sale on. Cheapest one is £199.99 - most expensive £1,899.98 (sweeps, cleans and empties)and that with approx 25% off. With about 15 different machines - how do you choose? I'd love one that does all three things but that's pricey.

ExD Thu 24-Jun-21 16:04:07

All very interesting, thank you. I don't have £1000 spare, but a gRam or Vax cordless cost £150-ish, and don't last long - so depending on how long they keep working for, a simple robot is sounding possible.

effalump Mon 21-Jun-21 12:50:38

I had one years ago when they first came out. Unless you are a minimalist, I'd say save your money. It took ages to clean roughly a patch five feet across. As a person with 36 years of general 'stuff' and hobby 'stuff', the damned thing could only go in a small area without getting stuck.

icanhandthemback Thu 17-Jun-21 18:32:06

We've got one. Unless you have uncluttered hard floors, they are hopeless. Ours gets stuck under the dog's bed, under cupboards, etc, etc.

Dylant1234 Wed 16-Jun-21 09:30:20

I heard the other day of one that didn’t recognise a dog poo on the floor and spread it all around the house ???. I don’t know if it’s true but ……..

tattygran14 Wed 16-Jun-21 07:29:59

Where did I read about the poor dog who was very messily ill in the night. The robot didn't know, and carried on, busily spreading it everywhere...

freedomfromthepast Wed 16-Jun-21 04:21:21

I have a Shark IQ. Not sure what you have available in the UK.

It is cheaper then the Roomba. Plus it has the trap where it empties itself. This is a MUST IMO. If you dont have it, you may as well be sweeping yourself.

We have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 kids, plus chickens, though they aren't allowed inside I do find feathers at times. My little Shark IQ keeps up.

We have to empty the trap every two weeks or so and once a month will go through and give it a good vacuum and mop it.

I was resistant to a smart home, but I find (with teens and a husband) the Shark Vacuum and Alexa are the only ones who listen to me and do any work around here. I cant wait until the day that a robot can do my laundry.

Llamedos13 Wed 16-Jun-21 04:01:49

I never heard of an Eufy until I read this thread , I knew about Roomba but found them very pricey. I’ve just looked on Amazon and have ordered an Eufy, greatly reduced.Can’t wait for it to arrive, hope it lives up to its great reviews.

Patsytaylor Tue 15-Jun-21 19:26:17

I love my Eufy. Good on edges but not corners. Picks up cat litter that cat has flicked out of tray but not sure how it would cope with hay.

GrauntyHelen Tue 15-Jun-21 19:14:36

Farmer's wife here don't get a robot it won't cope Get someone else to hoover

Kali2 Tue 15-Jun-21 17:33:29

A Roomba won't do the stairs!

Kali2 Tue 15-Jun-21 17:32:56

Ooops Hymnbook- just seen your post. GTec is absolutely brilliant- hard floors and carpets.

Kali2 Tue 15-Jun-21 17:32:11

ExD

Sweeping with a brush is almost as painful for me as hoovering. It's the forwards and back movement with no resistance that catches you out.
I thought the hay and straw would be a problem. The Dyson doesn't like it either
I would prefer one made in the UK and not China (?) too.

The best Hoover and so so light and easy to carry upstairs, etc, and with so little resistance, is the GTec one- absolutely love mine- effortless.

Hymnbook Tue 15-Jun-21 17:27:39

G tech light weight and clean well carpet or hard floors.

5together Tue 15-Jun-21 17:26:26

I recently bought a Roborock, recommended by a colleague. It mops as well as vacuums. We have a cat and a dog and I was fed up of mopping the kitchen floor of paw prints after the rain, not to mention fur. You can map rooms- so I can tell it to clean all of downstairs or just the kitchen and it can connect to Alexa as well (although I haven’t tried that yet - I just use the app). I’d give it a strong 8/10 - it can’t lift dried on marks as well as fresh ones but it has significantly reduced the cleaning I do. I set it to work while I went to walk the dog a few days ago and was happy to return to clean floors. If only it could tidy too! Mine can avoid obstacles (and isn’t fazed by moving from hardwood or tiling to a thick (of thin) rug but if you have a lot of things lying around, that would limit what the machine can do.

Pammie1 Tue 15-Jun-21 15:20:57

I have a Roomba that I picked up on ebay. I have a physical disability and find hoovering with an upright very difficult. I love my Roomba and have connected it to WiFi so that it cleans on a schedule. It does a really good job too. The dust bin needs emptying quite often as it’s small, and the dust filter is a bit fiddly but apart from that I love it.

JdotJ Tue 15-Jun-21 15:15:28

The money it would cost, could you possibly put towards a cleaner instead ?

Merrymary Tue 15-Jun-21 15:10:17

I bought one last year and am delighted with it. My floors have never been so clean. I can honestly say I feel genuine affection for it. I used to have a dyson which I hated as it was so heavy and didn’t even do a good job. The Roomba is far more effective. I highly recommend you treat yourself!

ALANaV Tue 15-Jun-21 14:34:20

I bought one when I moved from a rural house in France to a retirement flat in the UK ....ha ha ....it's never been out of its box....I stayed with friends in Germany who run their own computer business from home ....they have one (in fact the whole house is technically operated ....from the window blinds, doors, lighting, coffee machine etc ! BUT it ate all the computer wiring .....since they are clever they re programme it as to avoid these areas ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but sadly mine will have to stay in its box as I have so many obstacles for it to manouvre
round ! I bought a Shark stick ....much better for me !

Luckygirl Tue 15-Jun-21 13:54:30

I have one too. It works really well, but slightly heavy to lift to where you want it to start.

ExD Tue 15-Jun-21 13:29:09

I love your reply grandetante but you obviously don't know farmers, thank you for your concern all the same. smile
However I'm not going to start asking anyone who finishes work at 7pm hot, tired and needing a shower, to pick up a few strands of hay. I really think my DH works more than hard enough to be excused basic housework. At this time of year he's often working until 11 or 12pm.
And its 7 days a week including Christmas day. Oh sorry, he'll take a break on Christmas day from 1pm till 4.00 and then finish by 7pm - unless we have a sick animal or other emergency.
People may say I'm a wimp, but this arrangement has worked for us for 62 years. (yes DH is still working in his 80s).

ExaltedWombat Tue 15-Jun-21 13:27:57

They work if your room is so tidy that normal vacuuming would be very easy! But in my house, where the first job is to FIND the floor...

grandtanteJE65 Tue 15-Jun-21 12:57:41

In your place I would definitely get one or preferably two - one on each storey.

If it leaves the straw and hay, some other member of the household will have to deal with it,. Someone else should be doing all the hoovering, sweeping and washing of floors.

Put your foot down and tell them so. You surely are not all alone on a farm, are you?