Gransnet forums

House and home

Theft insurance

(12 Posts)
stephenfryer Sun 27-Jun-21 17:09:54

Checking my insurance policy, I read this:

This policy will only provide cover for theft or attempted theft if the following security is put into operation whenever your home is left unattended:
External doors must have one of the following -
- mortice deadlock with at least five levers
- locks to a minimum rating of BS3621 (this can be found on the lock)
-double glazed doors with a 3 point locking system
-existing locks plus key operated security devices fitted top and bottom
Windows -
- key operated window locks

I am not sure I know enough about locks to assess if I am covered. Has anyone considered this and what advice did you get?

tanith Sun 27-Jun-21 17:53:52

Depends on how long ago your windows/doors were replaced. Mine were replaced 6/7 yrs ago and they fill all the insurance criteria. If yours are old maybe you could get them checked by a local glazier for peace of mind.

annsixty Sun 27-Jun-21 18:57:55

My windows all have locks but I couldn’t tell you the last time I locked them when out for a shopping trip or a meal.
Also it is worth noting that if you leave a spare set of keys with family or a neighbour as insurance against being locked out, your insurance is also invalidated.

SueDonim Sun 27-Jun-21 19:27:17

Some insurance websites have illustrations of different types of lock so you can identify if you have the right ones.

Auntieflo Sun 27-Jun-21 19:35:49

We contacted our insurers last week, as we have just had a key safe fitted, after advice from our GP, and thought we should advise them, as it could make a difference to our premiums.

The girl on the phone said she had not been asked that before and went to ask 'someone'. She came back to say that a note had been made on our file, but otherwise , no change.
So at least we have notified them.

Teacheranne Sun 27-Jun-21 22:23:11

annsixty

My windows all have locks but I couldn’t tell you the last time I locked them when out for a shopping trip or a meal.
Also it is worth noting that if you leave a spare set of keys with family or a neighbour as insurance against being locked out, your insurance is also invalidated.

I did not know that Annsixty, I don’t think my insurance company have that condition as I’m one of those odd people who read the small print in my policy very carefully. Mine gives me a reduction for having an alarm but does not state that it needs to be activated so I queried that before I bought the policy as I don’t always put it on if I’m just going out for a few moments - I know I should but I’m both lazy and forgetful!

I found today that my back door had been left unlocked since last Tuesday when I had someone round to quote for some work outside. Also just last month, after feeling a slight draught when coming into my house at the front door, I discovered that my patio door was wide open - from when I was sitting in the garden the previous day! I really am very careless and should check doors and windows etc more often.

I’m having a key safe fitted soon but I was planning to leave my neighbours with the key they have so I don’t need to give them the code - which they would need to write down!

stephenfryer Tue 06-Jul-21 11:48:12

Thankyou everyone for the advice.

I don't think that I can sleep at nights now! I'll find a professional to check my locks.

Nannarose Tue 06-Jul-21 12:09:14

You could also try asking the insurer to explain their criteria simply, and you can also ask them how much it would cost if you don't have all of those.

I personally won't have key operated windows, because I want to get out quickly in case of fire. My insurance policy notes the window locks that I do have.

Annsixty - my insurance policy allows me to leave a key with a 'trusted neighbour' when I am 'absent', and this fits with police advice.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 06-Jul-21 12:32:26

When we renewed our Insurance we had a questionnaire that I filled in, I deliberately said ‘No’ to burglar alarm, deadlocks, etc. Just in case I forgot to lock up or arm the burglar alarm, the difference in cost was only a few pounds and I know I’m covered especially as DH often leaves doors unlocked and forgets to set the alarm.
I don’t have any small print regarding keys left with other family members though.

Whiff Tue 06-Jul-21 12:39:17

Auntieflo there was a key safe fitted on my bungalow. Which I never used. When I had my new front door fitted the fitter said I hope you don't use that. Meaning the key safe I said no. He showed me why he will never fit them. He used a screwdriver and popped it open. Then removed it for me.

I hope yours can't be opened like that. The one here had a combination lock.

Calendargirl Tue 06-Jul-21 13:22:22

We have a burglar alarm, professionally fitted, but it doesn’t count for insurance as it’s not a monitored one.

I always set it when leaving the house.

MerylStreep Tue 06-Jul-21 13:33:58

Whiff
I was going to say the same.
Mine is buried in the garden.
I garden for a disabled lady. Last week we were having this conversation about keys.
She said that her daughter has the spare key. Her daughter runs a beauty parlour in Southend.
So that means said daughter has to leave a customer while she drives to her mum.
Plus the fact that her phone would be in her house ?