Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen Cupboard doors handles or not

(8 Posts)
Franbern Mon 28-Jun-21 14:40:37

Looking at having a new kitchen installed in about a year. At the investigative stage now. Wondering what is best, door handles on all cupboards, or the new handleless ones. No handles would definitely make it not only look sleeker, but could be better for corner units.
Anyone who has these be grateful of your comments.

MissChateline Mon 28-Jun-21 14:46:02

I have recently had a total kitchen refurbishment and looked into this. One of the complaints about handleless drawers & cupboards is that they get a lot of fingerprint marks which are difficult to keep clean.
I am a member of a Howdens complaints Facebook forum which is actually more interesting than it sounds as most of the posts are regarding all types of kitchen and people looking for design ideas and inspiration. You can ask any questions on there and people are great at responding often with photos.

Elegran Mon 28-Jun-21 15:10:45

I have had handleless kitchen units since about 1985, so they are not really new. Yes, you can get finger marks on the side edges of doors and the top edges of drawers, but against that, you are not getting sticky handles! Wherever you touch the units, you will have to clean that bit sooner than the rest. If your hands are sticky, the mess is transferred to either the handles or the edges.

yggdrasil Mon 28-Jun-21 15:19:11

If you don't have handles, where do you hang the shopping bags and other useful things before you put them away properly :-)

Mattsmum2 Mon 28-Jun-21 15:26:15

I’m renting at the moment and have a modern kitchen with no handles. What it does have is a ridge at the top that I find accumulates dirt and only way to clean is to use a cotton bud. I’ve had handles before and don’t mind either. When I designed a kitchen a few years ago the one things that the designer said was, you need a place for tea towels and towels and also trays and chopping boards. Have fun designing x

dustyangel Mon 28-Jun-21 15:35:12

I have had handleless units for the last three years or so. Yes, you have to clean the part your hands touch more frequently but on the plus side pockets and elbows are never caught unawares.

By the way, when we wanted to add two new units to a different wall (so not part of a run) we couldn’t decide whether to match the flat, existing, finish or go for gloss. The sales girl told us that gloss shows finger prints less and she was absolutely right.

cornergran Mon 28-Jun-21 15:53:50

We've hand kitchen cupboard without handles on and off for many years, I prefer them as it saves on the bruises. We have cream gloss units at the moment, 8 years old, still look perfect and strangely show few finger marks. A quick wipe soon removes any that do appear where hands touch the units, I find the pull runs easier to clean than fiddly handles.

joesephkern Tue 29-Jun-21 13:14:30

I will suggest you handleless cupboards because they are safe and easy to clean.
for more professional guidance you can contact "https://www.housebeautiful.com/"
they will give you the best solution.