Gransnet forums

House and home

Toilet seat covers - are they a thing of the past?

(113 Posts)
LyWa Sun 04-Jul-21 12:31:41

I have a small shower room with basin & toilet. When I have had my shower I need to sit down to dry my feet, so the obvious place is the closed toilet, but I’m finding it really difficult to buy a towelling cover as I’ve had in the past. My usual go to stores John Lewis or Dunelm, no longer seem to stock them, Amazon have a few three piece sets, but they don’t look very good quality, they are all highly patterned and I only want the toilet cover, not a whole set. What do other people do?

BlueBelle Fri 06-Aug-21 06:18:42

No I don’t like them, never see them nowadays, and doubt if they are made any more
Never had a problem after my daily shower I just step out onto a washable towel mat, walk to the bedroom and by the time
I ve pottered around to get my clothes out I m more or less dry In the winter I just wrap a towel around me I ve never ‘dried me’ as in rubbing my body? always drip dry
I also never had a problem using public loos my Nan used to put toilet paper on them when I was a child ? but that didn’t stay with me have used thousands over the years without ‘toilet paper seats’ never think about it

NotAGran55 Fri 06-Aug-21 06:02:49

polomint

Hi*lywa*, I have just received the damart catalogue through the post and there are bathroom sets available. Mat, pedestal mat and toilet seat covers in various colours

Bumping for you LyWa with the link to the listing online

www.damart.co.uk/F-10050-bathroom-linen/P-353935-deep-pile-mat---covers

mokryna Fri 06-Aug-21 01:23:05

Callistemon

nadateturbe

Actually Callistemon that info could be useful. I hate using public loos but sometimes needs must Having a couple of these in my bag sounds good.

Yes, crouching is not always possible, nadateturbe!

I may order some for when I venture further afield.

My gynecologist has dispenser that automatically changes the disposable toilet seat cover to stop the spread of germs. I think I have seen them in hotels also.

jeanrobinson Thu 05-Aug-21 15:38:39

Like all the women in my family, I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, so cannot stand for long. After my shower (mostly
sitting) I wrap myself in two thin bath sheets and then sit on the closed loo seat.

polomint Thu 05-Aug-21 14:56:28

Hi*lywa*, I have just received the damart catalogue through the post and there are bathroom sets available. Mat, pedestal mat and toilet seat covers in various colours

Franbern Sun 11-Jul-21 08:52:22

Re cold tiles underfoot in bathroom/shower room. - When I had my en-sute installed at my house, the builders did a wonderful job, high standard - which included putting on the floor those ceramic tiles which are so very, very cold during the winter.
I detested them, and needed to keep a pair of easy slip-on slippers by the door to wear each time I needed to go into the loo during the night in colder weather.

Much prefer having a laminate put down in these places and this is what I have now in both bathroom and my en-suite - and that does not feel so cold underfoot, is just as easy (perhaps easier as it is all in one piece) to keep clean.

Grandma11 Fri 09-Jul-21 12:50:34

I much prefare to sit on a little shower stool bought specially from the disability store to get dried afterwards, the height is easily adustable, it has handles to hold onto, and the seat has a textured surface which is non slip and easily wiped. No more sitting on unhygienic surfaces!

Katek Wed 07-Jul-21 22:27:24

I have to confess that I don’t dry between my toes and have never had any problems with athletes’ foot or similar. It’s probably helped by the fact that I go barefoot indoors all the time,,and very seldom wear socks even outdoors in winter. My feet get a good airing all year round!?

Caleo Wed 07-Jul-21 21:51:13

I like to have a mat handy for the shower room in case the floor is wet, and worse, has been washed with bleach--death to dark trousers.

Once a woman came to buy a caravan at my place and needed to use the toilet. It had just been washed and I was glad I had a mat handy to lay on the floor.

M0nica Wed 07-Jul-21 15:22:55

Callistemon I was thinking of tie on candlewick rather than disposable paper.

Calendargirl Wed 07-Jul-21 13:25:02

LyWa

I’m sorry that as a new poster you don’t feel very welcome, and that GN is judgemental.

I can think of several topics, tea towels, bath mats, toilet brushes, outdoor shoes being kept on indoors, sell by dates on food, plug holes in showers to name a few, where I am left thinking my standards are not as high as other members. It sometimes seems a case of ‘one up-manship, my house is cleaner than yours’.

I don’t have a cover on my loo, so can’t advise, but I do have a mat near the shower and basin to feel warmer than cold tiles. Washed regularly, but obviously a bit naff nowadays.

???

Callistemon Wed 07-Jul-21 13:01:02

Or hovering!

Callistemon Wed 07-Jul-21 13:00:42

nadateturbe

Actually Callistemon that info could be useful. I hate using public loos but sometimes needs must Having a couple of these in my bag sounds good.

Yes, crouching is not always possible, nadateturbe!

I may order some for when I venture further afield.

felice Wed 07-Jul-21 12:58:11

Just please do not do what the previous tenant of my previous!!!! apartment did.
She had glued carpet to both sides of the toilet lid, yuck and more yuck. I do actually have a photo of it somewhere as people did not believe me when I told them.
It had been well scrubbed when I moved in but by the end of the first week was replaced.
I have never seen covers here but the paper liners for the toilet are easily available.

JaneJudge Wed 07-Jul-21 11:29:49

maddyone, I just thought they were a style statement too smile

maddyone Wed 07-Jul-21 11:12:30

JaneJudge

I had no idea that is what those toilet seat covers were for, to sit on after a bath.

Neither did I JaneJudge. I thought the matching three piece sets were to look pretty. They are now out of vogue, but you can still buy them.

Caleo Wed 07-Jul-21 10:57:06

Toilet seat covers look as if they are sort of permanent, which is obviously not desirable when people want to sit down with bare bottoms. As someone has said better to use a loose towel.

Why not keep a basket of small towels beside the lavatory pan?

JaneJudge Wed 07-Jul-21 10:26:52

I had no idea that is what those toilet seat covers were for, to sit on after a bath.

nadateturbe Wed 07-Jul-21 10:26:02

At times we do get shirty with each other, but in many thread we also reach out a hand of compassion to each other and we laugh a lot.

I totally agree.

nadateturbe Wed 07-Jul-21 10:24:16

Callistemon Wed 07-Jul-21 10:07:41

I have never seen or heard of a cover for the part you sit on when using the unit for its prime use and do not think they exist.
I think you can buy packs of paper ones and in fact I've seen them in dispensers in loos in airports etc in the Far East.

Available from the big river company and other outlets.

I am a mine of useless information.

maddyone Wed 07-Jul-21 10:04:33

Good post Monica.

M0nica Wed 07-Jul-21 09:42:55

LyWa For most of us a cover for the loo lid is called a seat cover. They are one and the same thing. I have never seen or heard of a cover for the part you sit on when using the unit for its prime use and do not think they exist.

Terminology is so often a matter that causes confusion on GN because we come from so many different countries and regions of the UK and the same word or group of words describe different things in different areas.

I must admit I was surprised by all the concerns about hygiene, for all the reasons you listed and like you I find bare skin directly on plastic unpleasant.

I am sorry you have found us so judgmental. I am not sure where you live, but unfortunately this type of loo lid cover has been the subject of derision in UK popular culture for at least the last three decades, so you stepped into a mine field when you so innocently inquired about them and I think a lot of us, including me, were so consumed by the humour of the object, we forgot that there was a person behind the enquiry. For which, on my part, I do apologise.

Please give us a second chance. At times we do get shirty with each other, but in many thread we also reach out a hand of compassion to each other and we laugh a lot.

Callistemon Tue 06-Jul-21 22:06:25

Follow my links!!

muffinthemoo Tue 06-Jul-21 20:35:10

LyWa Amazon have a lot that are just the two piece set to cover the lid and actual seat - you could try one of those and just bin the bit that goes on the seat itself?