Gransnet forums

House and home

Fitted furniture companies - worth it?

(18 Posts)
Kate54 Mon 05-Jul-21 12:00:52

I’ve had fitted furniture for bathrooms, bedrooms etc in the past but have never used any of the ‘big’ names e.g. Sharps or Hammonds.
But I’ve been seduced by a ‘half price’ offer spotted on line and seem to have a visit booked for tomorrow!
Has anyone used these firms? Are they ridiculously expensive? Would I be better sticking to a local carpenter?

Peasblossom Mon 05-Jul-21 14:26:05

I had Sharps for ne bedroom in my old house but would never have them again. They cancelled three times on the day of fitting and because I was still at work then that meant four days holiday taken. When the guy came it was obvious that they scheduled too much work for one day which left him perpetually catching up. He stayed till 9.00pm to try to get it done.
The contract excluded compensation for my lost time.

I went with Hammonds for the other bedroom and the fitting and quality was all I could have asked for. Excellent..

What I would say is don’t accept the first price. They give it a try but will come down to get the business. I think the planners work on Commission.

My current house has Hammonds wardrobes, bought by the previous owner. I’m very happy with them.

annsixty Mon 05-Jul-21 14:30:51

Another one who would never use Sharps.
Very expensive and very poor quality the Foil they use starting coming loose in a very short time.
Would never recommend.

BigBertha1 Mon 05-Jul-21 14:32:28

Years ago I had fitted wardrobes by MFI - they were excellent in the fitting, the quality and price. Pity the have gone now.

timetogo2016 Mon 05-Jul-21 14:38:07

Be carefull Kate54,i`m very wary shopping for big things online.

Witzend Mon 05-Jul-21 14:44:23

We had Hammonds round once, to quote for replacing a whole wall of perfectly sound and usable but very nasty plain white melamine wardrobes plus drawers.

The quote was hefty - about £3.5 - 4K IIRC, but he was giving us that tedious hard sell - ‘only at that price if you sign NOW,’ etc. which we hate. So we didn’t sign.

Eventually, while dh was away for a week, I emptied the whole lot completely, bought some cream cupboard paint, rubbed down and gave it all 2 coats.

Plus I changed all the horrible handles for much nicer ones from Wickes. Total cost £65 and the transformation was amazing!

Not sure I’d do all that again though - I was maybe 10 years younger then!

greenlady102 Mon 05-Jul-21 14:47:01

I priced sharps even at half price and went "HOW MUCH???????

JaneJudge Mon 05-Jul-21 14:49:22

they are very pushy and very expensive
we used a small family firm and the cost was plainly explained and broken down and was very reasonable with the labour fee on top. Ask on local facebook for recommendations?

Charleygirl5 Mon 05-Jul-21 14:51:04

I had a small, local company fit fitted wardrobes in a double bedroom more than 20 years ago. Very well made and fitted, no problems and I thought very reasonably priced at that time. I was asked what I wanted and they worked around my ideas.

Sharps prices at that time were OTT.

Lin52 Mon 05-Jul-21 15:12:03

Had a local firm for my fitted wardrobes, a while ago now, no problems. My daughter has also used local for hers, little problems, sorted out within 24 hrs, change of unit, sorted out within 48 hrs. Friend newly fitted kitchen all work sourced locally. Can’t beat it, quality work, and you can easily get hold of them if any problems.

tinaf1 Mon 05-Jul-21 15:25:35

I also had local guy do my fitted wardrobes, was recommended he was very helpful, came when promised and we were very pleased with finished work. Reasonable price.
Heard not very good reports of Sharps

Grannybags Mon 05-Jul-21 15:34:10

We used Hammonds for our bedroom about 12 years ago. Very pleased with it then and it's still looks good and all in working order

Kate54 Mon 05-Jul-21 16:03:23

Thanks everyone - very good advice, as always from fellow grans!

Franbern Mon 05-Jul-21 16:05:47

Would never use SHarps/Hammonds etc. My experience of them inthe past have shown them expensive, and unreliable.
Much prefer to use local companies for any such work.

Gabrielle56 Mon 05-Jul-21 16:16:01

I still have a 15foot wall of MFI shaker style wardrobes with interior chest of drawers and glazed door to some.and they look brilliant! Anyone who sees them asks where I got them or were they bespoke?! I have updated the handles and can change the fabric interiors to the glazed doors to accompany any redecorating I've done.often thought should I update.but to what? They're hygena units too!

Gabrielle56 Mon 05-Jul-21 16:16:38

#MFI wardrobes 22 years old!!

Kate54 Mon 05-Jul-21 17:16:57

Just cancelled!

varian Wed 07-Jul-21 14:08:10

I would buy the wardrobe components, frames, doors, shelves, drawers, rails etc fro IKEA and ask a local handyman to assemble them for you.