Gransnet forums

House and home

Outdoor cushions

(16 Posts)
Polarbear2 Sat 10-Jul-21 09:24:20

I’m the happy owner of 4 new garden chairs with lovely big cushions. They’re showerproof but obviously I need to take them in in the evening. I have a plastic box thing already which is full with some thin chair cushions and some steamer chair cushions from when OH bought 3 steamers we don’t use but they were ‘a bargain’. The 8 big new cushions though are a problem as they’re very big (4 seat and 4 back). Is it an obvious answer in that I need another plastic box or does anyone have other solutions to storing these things? Thanks.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 10-Jul-21 09:27:24

That’s the problem with outdoor furniture, storage for the Winter or wet weather, I’m eagerly awaiting responses to your OP as I have to put ours in the garage every evening and it’s not ideal, especially as I often forget and they don’t look so special after a winter amongst DHs paint pots and axle grease!

ElaineI Sat 10-Jul-21 09:30:19

Can you get rid of the steamer ones if you don't use them? These bigger cushions are difficult to store. DD1 has them and they take up a lot of space in her utility room cupboard. In her area there have been thefts of garden furniture some the day following delivery so if you have a gate put a lock on it. The cushions are very comfortable though and they have used them a lot throughout lockdowns.

kittylester Sat 10-Jul-21 09:39:42

We pile ours on top of the outside (well in the garage) fridge and freezer - that's if we remember to take them in.blush

Polarbear2 Sat 10-Jul-21 09:47:21

I’ve just (?) thought I could ask him to sell the steamers. He likes to get a bit of cash. He bought them second hand and did them up so he’d get more for them. But, it wouldn’t free up enough space for these new ones ?

Ellianne Sat 10-Jul-21 10:06:57

Years of stacking cushions from round our pool and from swing seats taught me not to pile them horizontally on top of each other. They can go sweaty or even mouldy. I line them up like soldiers with room for air to circulate in a dry garage, not in the boxes.
Good luck.

Caleo Sat 10-Jul-21 11:19:59

I have three plastic Keter boxes but I'd not store sucions in them as they all let in some rain . Thet are quite useful for plastic ware, and decorating supplies if |I cover such things with plastic basins. I think cushions would get musty.

I keep cushions in my open fronted gazebo from one year to the next, thoughout the winter. I had split bampoo screening put round the sides, and the rare showers that actually get inside the gazebo don't matter much as the place is so airy that the cushions dry very readily and have never become musty. The colours fade, but I rather like faded chintz.

Caleo Sat 10-Jul-21 11:20:43

cushions

Polarbear2 Sat 10-Jul-21 14:25:58

Thanks all. Garage would be perfect if it wasn’t full of half built cars and associated other rubbish accumulated by OH. I think I need to reclaim my summerhouse which has been appropriated for large mowers and shredders etc. Great tip re the horizontal stacking though! Thanks.

Pittcity Sat 10-Jul-21 14:47:32

We have a giant holdall made from the same stuff that the BBQ and table cover is made from. It sits in the garage until the cushions are needed and folds up when they're in use. Bought it from the large river company.

Polarbear2 Sat 10-Jul-21 17:29:13

I could make one of those and sling it across the roof of the summerhouse/shed. Good plan ?

ElaineI Sun 11-Jul-21 09:23:36

Some great ideas here.

Lilypops Sun 11-Jul-21 09:29:22

Same problem here ,I seem to have so many outdoor cushions. I have thought about a storage box but am afraid the rain would get in , so they are thrown behind the sofa in the sitting room we don’t use , and dragged out to the garden when the sun shines !! ?

timetogo2016 Sun 11-Jul-21 09:38:20

Put them in the cars Polarbear2.

Polarbear2 Sun 11-Jul-21 12:01:17

timetogo2016

Put them in the cars Polarbear2.

Plan!! ????

glammanana Sun 11-Jul-21 12:32:13

Put your foot down and tell OH he can use the garage or the summerhouse not both .