Gransnet forums

House and home

Converting an old shed into a nice summer house… well that’s the plan! ?

(218 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 09:54:57

I have a shed 10‘ x 10‘ and not in bad condition, I thought!I had a guy come round from a shed company to see about doing the repairs and I’m having new windows doors and a roof however he did not pick up on the rotten wood at the bottom of the shed and I rang the company and was very peeved but it is what it is and I need to carry on. On the right side of the shed there about two panels of wood that are really rotten and a few along the front as well but the rest of the shed seems to be quite good condition. It is dry lined and has electricity. Anyway first thing to do is get all the rubbish out of it and my son is coming today to take rubbish to the tip so will see how it goes and keep you informed…. As you can imagine any advice very gratefully received(As long as it’s not burn it down and start again!!!?‍♀️) And inside the shed on the side where the rotten wood is the floor is quite damp so all in all I think this is going to be quite A big job…

Shinamae Mon 25-Oct-21 17:36:20

My friend came over this afternoon and we were sat chatting in El Sheddo and I noticed a bloody great spider crawling along the back of the sofa bed!!?‍♀️ I have a plastic cup in there for just such emergencies and managed to get him in the cup and put him outside but I bet there are loads in there but out of sight out of mind ???????

lemongrove Thu 21-Oct-21 23:30:22

Looks like a comfy nap zone....zzzzzz

Shinamae Thu 21-Oct-21 20:53:15

Thank you Bikergran……????

bikergran Thu 21-Oct-21 19:01:57

Lovely ? really glad you decided to restore your old shed, hope it will last you many more years and lots of enjoyable times ☕?

Shinamae Thu 21-Oct-21 11:29:29

A bit cosier now…?

Shinamae Thu 21-Oct-21 09:52:03

I will get some canapés made and your invitations issued….?

lemongrove Wed 20-Oct-21 22:47:47

Ah, that’s it’s name...El Sheddo! ?
Glad you are enjoying it Shina you need a small bar in that corner over there, all it takes is an old packing case with five bottles of flavoured gin on the top, a few tonics and glasses and you’re good to go.
We will join you presently.?

Shinamae Wed 20-Oct-21 22:24:01

Have been able to go out the last two nights and listen to that absolute pouring rain,fabulous. I just take my kindle and go out there for a couple of hours, very very relaxing…?.. and thanks for asking Bikergran ?

bikergran Wed 20-Oct-21 10:32:24

Shinamae Just wondering if your enjoying your new pad, have you spent many hours in it yet (tea n biscuits etc) hope you haven't made any crumbs hmm

Bet its as nice sitting in it in all weathers, make the most smile

Callistemon Tue 28-Sep-21 22:31:54

Don't worry, they're all in my conservatory sheltering from the rain!

Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 22:30:20

Hopefully if any real spiders see this one sat on the floor in my shed they will think “ Hell no, I ain’t going anywhere near that big bugger“…??????

Shinamae Mon 27-Sep-21 10:15:40

Callistemon

We'd all be there with you if we could all fit in, Shinamae, or is it like Soop's kitchen - a Tardis?
Bringing ? brew and ??

Enjoy your haven.

Thank you so much, when I went out it was really really pouring and I thought is the roof going to withstand all this rain and then I thought well it’s got to,it cost £700 just for the roof!!.. needless to say it was fine..

Callistemon Mon 27-Sep-21 10:04:55

We'd all be there with you if we could all fit in, Shinamae, or is it like Soop's kitchen - a Tardis?
Bringing ? brew and ??

Enjoy your haven.

Shinamae Mon 27-Sep-21 09:21:23

Finally some torrential rain, I nipped out to El Sheddo with an umbrella and had an enjoyable half an hour just listening to the rain beating down on the roof absolutely fabulous….?

Shinamae Sat 25-Sep-21 11:29:40

JaneJudge

It is really lovely smile thank you for including us on your she shed refurbishment journey grin

My absolute pleasure Jane ?

JaneJudge Sat 25-Sep-21 11:12:45

It is really lovely smile thank you for including us on your she shed refurbishment journey grin

Shinamae Sat 25-Sep-21 10:04:17

Thank you BG, got some wall prints to go up because the walls do look a bit stark but then it’s more or less finished I’m just waiting for the wild winter weather! ?⛈?

bikergran Fri 24-Sep-21 20:40:18

Lovely, well done, calming and serene .

Beechnut Tue 21-Sep-21 09:28:45

You’ll be all cosy looking out on the rain. It looks lovely. ?

Shinamae Tue 21-Sep-21 08:03:31

It is such a contrast and I am so pleased, just waiting for some artwork for the walls, when I say artwork I need prints from Wayfair!!

Shinamae Tue 21-Sep-21 08:00:00

cornergran

I fear you won’t have to wait long shinamae. I love your garden room but not your weather choice smile. Sunshine and calm breezes for me.

Yes, I realise I am in the minority with my choice of favourite weather…??

cornergran Mon 20-Sep-21 22:46:24

I fear you won’t have to wait long shinamae. I love your garden room but not your weather choice smile. Sunshine and calm breezes for me.

Shinamae Mon 20-Sep-21 22:37:59

Still too warm to go out in my garden room, I am waiting for heavy rain and wind….

Shinamae Fri 17-Sep-21 21:49:09

Amberone

Shinamae it's looking lovely. What a nice, calming place to retreat to. But please don't ask for nasty weather, I could do with a bit more Summer yet ?

?? sorry but I do not like hot weather, I thrive in the rain and wind, maybe it’s because I was born in February!! ????.. The wilder the better for me…?

Amberone Fri 17-Sep-21 21:22:57

Shinamae it's looking lovely. What a nice, calming place to retreat to. But please don't ask for nasty weather, I could do with a bit more Summer yet ?