Gransnet forums

House and home

What makes a house feel comfortable

(90 Posts)
Beswitched Thu 15-Jul-21 13:19:47

Just asking out of curiosity really.

If I'm staying in someone's house, as long as it's clean and warm I don't really care about anything else.

But rooms I really like are ones that aren't cluttered but do have lots of character - a mix of new and old furniture, paintings and photographs dotted around, colourful cushions, vases or jugs of flowers.

I'm not keen on matching 3 piece suites, or a very minimalist look.

coastalgran Fri 16-Jul-21 18:14:22

Nice comfy chairs, little tables to put down a cup or glass, lovely paintings, photos, plenty throws and cushions and a feeling that no-one is going to get the vacuum cleaner out as soon as you move or karate chop the cushions into shape when you leave. I have been in a show house, modern open plan place that looked superb and was the most uncomfortable place with no soul.

Shropshirelass Fri 16-Jul-21 17:16:04

Comfortable and inviting with nicknacks, books, magazines and pictures, nothing that remotely resembles a show home. Dogs and cats around too. As long as it is clean, then that’s fine for me.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 17:03:14

The people in it.
I'm not worried about the rest too much, though a cat to cuddle is nice.

Redhead56 Fri 16-Jul-21 16:54:56

Clean but lived in flowers cushions books lots of cookery books. Grandchildrens toy box a clean dog bed. Soft lighting plenty of wine on ice and little tray of savoury snacks if friends come around.

Polly4t42 Fri 16-Jul-21 16:40:35

A clean but lived in look, children’s toys in a basket in the corner, bookcases, comfy chairs, family photos, pictures that have special meaning.

Destin Fri 16-Jul-21 16:33:14

Definitely a clean and tidy bathroom and kitchen - but doesn’t have to be minimalistic. No pets...don’t like pet smells, pet hairs around the house, or dogs and cats wanting to jump up or be petted or stroked! Freshly cut flowers around the house and a guest bedroom to sleep in that really is a guest bedroom and not a teenagers space, or a sewing room!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 16-Jul-21 16:20:43

Monica, on Thursday you described my living room except we have two squashy sofas, a his and hers and full length so you can lie on them

oodles Fri 16-Jul-21 16:06:17

not minimalist, plenty of books, not being afraid to sit down in case I crease a cushion, and signs that there is normal life going on. I don't like the doggy smell that I've only come across once, which is that of dogs who are shut in most of the time and the place is never cleaned, my son has 4 dogs and the place doesn't smell
If I'm staying I like to have a bin or access to a bin a light, in the bedroom so I can read if I want to and turn it off without getting out of bed. And being told the wifi password
If I'm staying I like to have a bit of an idea of what is going to happen so I can plan around that. It's nice to be given free rein to make a cup of coffee or get a bite to eat if I'm hungry. I like the chance to have a bit of chill time, maybe have chance to look at the garden if possible, and to explore the bookshelves
I personally would supply towels and have a little basket of things people often forget - toothbrush, soap, paracetamol, little pack of tissues. I like to know if anyone has any dislikes or problems with any food or anything else really, or particular needs foodwise that I might not ordinarily have in

I don't find leather sofas always that comfy, but if there is a throw that can be moved that is to, and a little footstool is always handy. And it's good to have rugs if there is no carpet. Comfy chairs are good too. Not keen on synthetic smells, or meaningful slogans or verses on the walls.
Obviously I'm talking about what I feel comfy with when visiting, and if you area just visiting for a couple of hours you can put up with almost anything, and wouldn't need a toothbrush lol

muffinthemoo Fri 16-Jul-21 15:46:02

A good squashy dog(s) for petting.

Soft couch.

The odd blanket.

Good cooking smells.

Aired out bedrooms.

As many books as possible.

fluttERBY123 Fri 16-Jul-21 15:37:19

Squashy well used cushions so you can get really comfortable. A cat, of course.

Notright Fri 16-Jul-21 15:02:09

I love books, pictures, some p interesting ornaments. I find that I think a person is comfortable in my rooms if they look around at things, and/or ask questions about them. That means they feel at home.

Beswitched Fri 16-Jul-21 14:54:44

OnwardandUpward

It's clear that some of us think comfortable = pets and some of us don't , which is understandable. I know some people have serious allergies or fears from animals or just don't feel comfortable around them. I keep throw blankets on the sofas so the pets don't sit directly on it and if someone is coming I take those throws off and clean everything, put all the dog chews and toys upstairs and offer to banish the pets. Our cats never stay around if there are visitors, anyway! They are really antisocial. I've never actually had anyone say yes to me putting the dog upstairs or in the garden, but I do offer to people I don't know well who might have a phobia or other problem.

That's thoughtful and considerate of you.
I realise it can be annoying for dog owners to have people visiting who don't like their dogs. Certainly if I'm staying in a house I just steel myself for that initial period where I'm of interest to the dog, and usually after a while they get bored of me and leave me alone for the duration of my stay.

But I think there has to be give and take. Allowing your dog to wander around the table looking for food when guests are eating, or making no effort to stop them jumping all over a guest who is obviously nervous or uncomfortable around dogs is inconsiderate.
And taking a dislike to someone who isn't fond of dogs is really narrow minded.

OnwardandUpward Fri 16-Jul-21 14:45:46

It's clear that some of us think comfortable = pets and some of us don't , which is understandable. I know some people have serious allergies or fears from animals or just don't feel comfortable around them. I keep throw blankets on the sofas so the pets don't sit directly on it and if someone is coming I take those throws off and clean everything, put all the dog chews and toys upstairs and offer to banish the pets. Our cats never stay around if there are visitors, anyway! They are really antisocial. I've never actually had anyone say yes to me putting the dog upstairs or in the garden, but I do offer to people I don't know well who might have a phobia or other problem.

polly123 Fri 16-Jul-21 13:56:28

Lots of books, music playing preferably jazz, lots of artworks and photos,lovely scented diffusers or candles - a bit quirky but clean and definitely no dogs but love cats. I do also like space to move around comfortably in and prefer doors to be open where possible.

annifrance Fri 16-Jul-21 13:33:36

Reasonably clean and warm. Very comfortable seating of all types and beds. Cats and dogs. Books. Well equipped kitchen for cooking and dishwasher so I can do my bit big time of wanted.

sazz1 Fri 16-Jul-21 12:33:23

I think I'm more at home in homes that are a bit cluttered. Can't stand showhouses as I always feel out of place and uncomfortable
People who make time to talk to you and have animals are my favourite people to visit

olliebeak Fri 16-Jul-21 12:22:34

Friendly hosts - pleasant smells - comfortable seating/cushions.

JanaNana Fri 16-Jul-21 12:17:07

Comfy sofa or chairs, books, plenty of colour ,a few plants or flowers, warm and cosy in cold weather - too cold in some homes. Maybe a view of the garden but ( no artificial plug in smells). Don't mind the family pets and friendly hosts who don't spend most of the time on their phones.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 16-Jul-21 12:15:19

I always warn first time visitors that we have cats. That way if anyone is allergic we and they can find a B&B for them. If they are scared of cats, then the cats can be outside if the weather is good, or are confined to our bedroom for the duration.

I am on the tidy, clean but not over clean or tidy team.

Alioop Fri 16-Jul-21 12:12:37

I love lamps, especially soft lighting in the winter evenings with a throw over me listening to my dog snoring in her bed in the corner. Also a quiet spot with a big squishy chair where you can sit and read a good book.

maryrose54 Fri 16-Jul-21 11:55:20

I have 2 friends that I visit from time to time. One has a pristine home, all colours toning in shades of beige and cream and nothing lying around. The other friend has a more relaxed style, with colourful cushions, bookshelves with ornaments etc, family pictures, and I always feel more comfortable there.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 16-Jul-21 11:55:00

I occasionally dog sit overnight for friends so I’m ready for doggy smells, even in the bedroom where they inevitably join me!
I take my own food but appreciate tea, coffee, sugar, milk, bread and butter. I would also love a radio in the bedroom and a decent bedside light so I don’t have to take my own. I’d also like the room nearer to the family bathroom instead of the one on the other side of the gallery.
Also a central heating thermostat that comes on when it should and is easy to adjust if need be, not one if those awful digital things which is impossible to work out.

Fiona57 Fri 16-Jul-21 11:54:48

A couple of labradors?

Namsnanny Fri 16-Jul-21 11:53:57

A comfortable sofa, clutter free and fresh flowers.
We only have the flowers at home at the moment, and my back knows itshocksmile

knspol Fri 16-Jul-21 11:48:04

It's the people in it that makes it comfortable but if I was staying anywhere it would have to be clean, don't mind clutter or any kind of decor or muddled furnishings so long as clean.