Gransnet forums

House and home

Big gilt mirror over fireplace.

(16 Posts)
Allsorts Sat 17-Jul-21 21:57:51

For fifteen years I have had this expensive large gilt mirror over the mantle piece, but I looked at it the other day and thought I’m tired of it. I do feel guilty getting rid of something expensive it seems so wasteful.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Jul-21 22:06:10

Put it up for sale, then someone who thinks it's wonderful will buy it.
It never feels so bad if something is going to a good home.

Infinity2 Sat 17-Jul-21 22:21:18

Let it go. Think Marie Kondo. You obviously don’t love it or cherish it now. You’ve enjoyed having it but time for a change.
Give it to Oxfam and let it bless someone else.
I’m speaking from experience here.
My very heavy massive mirror I had over the fireplace fell off the wall one afternoon with a massive crash. It sounded like a bomb going off.
It left two massive craters in the wall where even the rawl plugs had come out, and cracked all the tiles round the fireplace where it fell.
Luckily there are no children or pets in this house or it could have killed someone.
My niece’s husband had hung the mirror for me. The same person who put up my kitchen blind that fell down.
He blamed my walls.

absent Sun 18-Jul-21 00:32:34

Sell it or give it to a charity shop. You have just reminded me that I have a large mirror somewhere that has not been put up on the wall since we moved to our current house nearly two years ago. I shall have to have a rummage in Mr absent's shed.

Nonogran Sun 18-Jul-21 11:24:26

Isn’t there somewhere else in the house for it to be rehung?
Could you offer it to family?
Could it be put in your attic whilst you think about what to do with it?
A lovely expensive mirror can be so useful. Don’t act in haste and certainly, don’t ditch it to landfill!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 18-Jul-21 20:01:44

Give it to a charity shop someone will love it, if you are tired of it,

Amberone Sun 18-Jul-21 20:22:22

I have painted the frames of two of my large mirrors. Not hard to do. One was just sprayed a deep blue gloss (but left the gilt edge of the frame) and hangs on the landing where it can be a bit dark.

The other was a slightly cheaper one - I used polyfilla over the frame and patterned it and sprayed it bronze to match a picture hanging in the spare bedroom. Sounds a bit weird now I'm reading it but it looks good smile.

Or you could probably sell it on ebay.

Jaxjacky Sun 18-Jul-21 20:27:31

If you’re not happy with it and no one in your family want it, as others have said, try and sell it or donate. Nothing worse than seeing something that irks you.

danielasha Fri 23-Jul-21 12:22:55

If you feel you need to get rid of him, then say goodbye to him without guilt. And a new one will come into your life, perhaps more amazing

Calendargirl Fri 23-Jul-21 12:27:06

danielasha

If you feel you need to get rid of him, then say goodbye to him without guilt. And a new one will come into your life, perhaps more amazing

?

Are mirrors masculine?

Does one talk to one’s mirrors?

confused

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Jul-21 13:57:09

Calendargirl sounds like he could be giving the OP a gilt trip (geddit?!)

MiniMoon Fri 23-Jul-21 14:18:08

We used to have one. Huge mirror, all intricate plaster mouldings covered with gold paint. I don't know how old it was, but when we moved DH put it in an antiques auction and we sold it.
I was glad to see the back of it, dusting it used to worry me in case I accidentally knocked off some of the mouldings.

Calendargirl Fri 23-Jul-21 16:27:55

FannyCornforth

Calendargirl sounds like he could be giving the OP a gilt trip (geddit?!)

grin

silverlining48 Fri 23-Jul-21 16:33:29

I had a large gilt mirror over my fireplace but when we redecorated we painted it and it now looks great. Very easy.
Liked it so much we painted the others we had, and the gold picture frames too.

Luckygirl Fri 23-Jul-21 16:34:55

Charity shop - we are all far too old to be unable to get away from our own reflection every we time we step into the living room. Give yourself a break!!

NotTooOld Fri 23-Jul-21 16:52:27

We had one with a heavy wooden frame which looked dated. I got DH to paint the frame silver grey when he decorated the room and it looks great now. If you don't fancy doing that then just get rid of it. Life's too short to look in a mirror you hate.