Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving to Durham

(10 Posts)
Ann2 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:39:03

Good morning everyone - is there anyone out there from Durham area who could offer advice please?

Am relocating to Durham area in 2/3 weeks and am looking for recommendations for a good, covid safe cleaning company to do a pre move clean for me.

I would also be good to get to know people in the area.

MaizieD Wed 21-Jul-21 09:51:38

I live in Co Durham. I'm afraid that cleaning companies such as you are after are a completely unknown quantity to me but I would say that we (i.e people in the county) have, certainly until now, been highly compliant with mask wearing, which is one of the most essential anti covid measures, so you'll probably be OK with any local company.

As for getting to know people, speaking as an 'incomer' (albeit 30+ years ago) I found that Durham people are mostly the nicest, friendliest, most welcoming people you could wish to meet. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I love my adopted county grin

Fennel Wed 21-Jul-21 15:42:29

We live in Co. durham too, in the north, near the Tyne, and agree with Maizie about the friendliness of the folks.
But sorry can't recommend a cleaning company. It has been difficult to find someone to be a regular house cleaner.
But suggest looking in the local telephone directory under Cleaning = Commercial. Then ask for estimates.

Septimia Wed 21-Jul-21 16:02:03

I agree with the friendliness - I'm a 30+ years incomer, too - and wouldn't move back south.

I recall a cleaning company called The Cleaning Fairy but I'm not sure if they're the one we used for my FiL's house, so can't give a recommendation and I have no contact details. Sorry!!

Shandy57 Wed 21-Jul-21 16:12:58

Wishing you happiness in your new home. Durham is a wonderful University town and I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Jaxjacky Wed 21-Jul-21 16:22:18

Joining a local Facebook group might help with a cleaning company and events to meet people.

Riverwalk Wed 21-Jul-21 16:37:23

I'm not in Durham but good luck with your move.

The estate agent who is handling the purchase/let should have details of such cleaning companies, along with locksmiths etc.

Infinity2 Wed 21-Jul-21 17:04:52

Lucky you !
I love Durham and visited many times. A beautiful cathedral, lovely buildings, great shops and the jewel in the crown for me -
The Oriental Museum ( part of the University but open to the public ) packed with fabulous and amazingly beautiful artifacts.

Good luck finding the cleaning company you want but when you’ve finished that -
make sure you visit The Oriental Museum !! ???

kittylester Wed 21-Jul-21 19:37:48

I saw Brian Ferry in Durham Cathedral - just saying!

As you were!!

MaizieD Wed 21-Jul-21 21:09:08

Just a reminder that there is more to Durham that Durham City. Stunning countryside, for a start grin