Gransnet forums

House and home

best cordless hoover

(25 Posts)
busybee6969 Wed 21-Jul-21 20:52:36

need to get a new hoover any good reviews on cordless hoovers not too heavy

Sara1954 Wed 21-Jul-21 21:54:31

Don’t buy the latest Dyson then, much heavier and awkward to use than their previous models.

Scentia Wed 21-Jul-21 22:24:26

I have just purchased a shark it is brill and light but only good for light vacuuming.

Shinamae Wed 21-Jul-21 22:27:53

I have a Halo and I think it’s great but you might find it a little bit heavy it’s a Halo capsule…. I had a Dyson for years but now would never go back to them…

annodomini Wed 21-Jul-21 23:00:44

I have a Bosch cordless cleaner but it's too heavy for me to carry up and down stairs, so I decided to buy a cheap model for upstairs. On Amazon, I found a Vytronix, light and with the right attachments. However, I went to the manufacturer's web site and got it a bit cheaper. It serves me very well.

annodomini Wed 21-Jul-21 23:00:44

I have a Bosch cordless cleaner but it's too heavy for me to carry up and down stairs, so I decided to buy a cheap model for upstairs. On Amazon, I found a Vytronix, light and with the right attachments. However, I went to the manufacturer's web site and got it a bit cheaper. It serves me very well.

annodomini Wed 21-Jul-21 23:01:33

Sorry for the duplicate. I have no idea what I did wrong this time!

Flexagon Wed 21-Jul-21 23:30:24

I'm also struggling to find a decent lightweight vaccum. Dyson suck, or rather they don't ime. Sharks seem bulky, heavy and expensive. I've tried but failed to get advice about Sharks from AO and PC World/Currys.

I sew so need something that can cope with threads on polypropylene carpet without jamming the roller. I'm thinking anti-hair wrap technology would be best. I'm typing anti-hair wrap into the Vytronix search facility but it's returning pet hair machines which are not the same thing.

So something lightweight with anti-hair tech that doesn't cost £200. Does it exist?

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 00:20:24

I’ve just ordered a GTech. No idea if it will be any good but it was on offer and I’ve been meaning to get one for ages.

Franbern Thu 22-Jul-21 10:11:08

I had Gtech cordless upright and small hand held one as a christmas pressie from kids (my request) back in 2018. Absolutely love it - never said that before about any vacuum cleaner. The upright is so light and easy to use, handle folds down if you want to store it in a small cupboard (like under the stairs), so easy to empty and charge. The hand held one is very good for stairs (I no longer have these), also for car and also for using on vacuum storage bags. Also easy to empty and charge.
Have had no problems with either of these machines and would highly recommend them.

shysal Thu 22-Jul-21 10:18:38

I am pleased with my Mark 1 Gtech Air ram K9 upright, and hand-held. You would need both as the upright has no tools. There have been several updates since I bought mine so would imagine they have improved. I use the hand held for bits of thread, but I do have to remove hairs from the Air Ram roller from time to time.

Grammaretto Thu 22-Jul-21 10:20:21

I find the cordless Dyson is ok.

I only wish I had one on every floor as I still have to carry it up 3 flights of stairs wink

DD swears by her Shark.
Is there a really good machine that sucks everything? If tackling a grotty corner I have to resort to lifting the dirt with a scraper an old credit card works well plus a rough cloth and Then the "hoover" manages fine!

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 10:20:37

Thanks Franbern. I’m quite excited about it! I never get over the amazement of ordering something one day and getting it the next. I do seem to have quite a collection of vacuum cleaners though but the most difficult part of the house to clean is always the stairs.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 19:29:52

The G Tech is a bit rickety in places but I seem to have assembled it without too much trouble. The bit where the handle attaches to the bottom bit is rather wobbly.

Gwyneth Thu 22-Jul-21 19:37:49

I’m also looking for a new vacuum cleaner so found this thread really helpful. I need something light because I can’t manage to carry the one I have up and down two sets of stairs. But I also need one that is powerful enough to pick up cat hair which gets everywhere!

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 19:45:28

My best vacuum is an Oreck. I’ve had one for years. It’s really light. It was recommended by a farmer friend who had a house full of cats and dogs. But it’s no good on stairs. Henry’s are the most powerful but back breaking. My son loves his Shark but, because of covid I haven’t been to his house to try it out. I don’t know why my stairs get so dirty because the dog isn’t allowed upstairs.

Daisymae Thu 22-Jul-21 20:12:21

I have the Dyson animal. V10. It's much improved in the previous model and will go for an hour on one charge. Length of charge is an important consideration. The first one I had only went for 20 mins and was a pain.

Casdon Thu 22-Jul-21 22:00:17

Ive got a Shark cordless, it’s effective for quick cleans, but not as good as my old Miele, which I’ve still got too. The Shark is quite heavy, because the motor is on the handle. Next time I’d go for a Gtech, because the motor is at floor level so it’s a lot lighter to push round.

fevertree Thu 22-Jul-21 22:27:15

I bought a Shark for £199 recently when Ama-zing smile had their 2 day flash sale. I'm really happy with it, don't find it heavy, it is brilliant on the stairs, and from what I empty out of the drum, it does a very good job.

It came with an anti hair wrap attachment.

Luckygirl Thu 22-Jul-21 22:32:57

I have a GTech rechargeable stick vacuum - I chose it because the battery is removable to charge separately which makes it easier. So far it has good suction. It also uses bags which can be changed without making a mess.

The Dyson I had (well still have) has to be plugged in as a whole unit for charging which is cumbersome and takes up lots of space. Also emptying it sprays the contents all over the place and and it is hard to close he dust container afterwards. The plastic parts are feeble and trying to clean it is a nightmare.

123kitty Fri 23-Jul-21 11:53:05

GTech gets my vote, it comes with a little comb to remove hair on the roller which I find works well, there are no tools available so I also have their hand held. I've had fast efficient back up from them in sorting a complaint. I am happy to recommend both these products, also would re-purchase GTech.

MayBee70 Fri 23-Jul-21 12:10:40

I wondered what the little comb was for. It reminded me of the one I had when I had an Afro perm!

Ethel27 Fri 23-Jul-21 16:48:01

I have a gtech and love it... Have to say, all our floors are laminate and we have no animals..
I wouldn't change it.

crazyH Sat 12-Feb-22 00:09:58

I just bought a cheap and cheerful Vytronix. It does the job. It’s light and I love it. Mind you, most of my floors are wood/ laminate/ tile . And I have no pets. I hardly use my Dyson these days.

SkyBird Sat 12-Feb-22 08:07:16

I have a Shark and find it quite brilliant. With lights on the cleaning head vacuuming in the dark is recommended. I have had a Dyson and a G Tech. Neither impressed me. We have no carpets or rugs.