Gransnet forums

House and home

Best hard floor cleaner

(14 Posts)
grandMattie Sat 24-Jul-21 18:42:27

My back can’t take mop cleaning the floor any more… besides all mops are too short for me adding to the strain.

So - I’m looking for a mechanical cleaner, most seem cordless which is fine. I don’t want something where I throw away the pads as it is very environmentally unfriendly.

Help!

Itsawelshthing Sun 25-Jul-21 23:55:34

How about a steam cleaner? Only need to fill it up with water and makes my floor very clean. I have a beldray one I got from B&M and it is brilliant. You get 2x pads and they're washable as well.

sodapop Mon 26-Jul-21 08:31:22

I have a steam cleaner with washable pads but I couldn't use it on a daily basis as its quite unwieldy. Maybe I need to look at a newer model now.
I do use a mop type implement with disposable wipes, not environmentally friendly. I have two dogs and a cat and all hard floors so need to clean regularly. I am unable to kneel down now due to arthritis.

Cherylg Mon 26-Jul-21 08:38:01

I have a fax hard floor cleaner it’s advertised on tv cordless picks up bits and cleans with a solution too. It’s expensive but great on amtico vinyl where you can’t use steam cleaners

kjmpde Mon 26-Jul-21 12:38:00

i bought a corded one from a charity shop recently. it was brand new and only cost £10. includes a variety of cleaning pads - even one for carpets. So I would suggest looking around the charities that sell electrical items or on facebook market place

Geranimum Mon 26-Jul-21 12:41:32

Aircraft Powerglide. It is about £199. Buy from Lakeland for a 3 year guarantee. It comes with 2 sets of pads . One I use for wood floor and one set for Karndean. I use Method liquids with it. I have been known to use Elbow Grease spray with it when doing my sons kitchen floor!! I have back problems and find it very easy to use. It has a height adjustable handle.

love0c Mon 26-Jul-21 13:07:06

Bought a VAX86 combi steam cleaner two days ago. It is brilliant! It said all floors should be sealed but mine are not. It dries literally as you move it around so no problem at all.Have freshened my carpets as well with it. Really good buy. £59.99 at Argos.

Aldom Mon 26-Jul-21 13:39:57

I'm on my second steam cleaner. This one is better than the first, but for anyone who, like me, has arthritis in their hands, wrists and shoulders, etc., etc., I suggest one of the floor cleaners that vacuum and wash simultaneously. I intend to buy one. No pressure required to push around the floor, as there is with steam cleaners. The steam cleaner does an efficient job though. No complaints there.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Jul-21 14:06:14

I use a Swedish hard wood floor cleaner - Bona - - it is good.

JaneJudge Mon 26-Jul-21 15:39:34

I have found the steam cleaners don't last very long if you have hard water. I bought a bissel for my daughter's house which seems much better value for money. It has an attachment so you can clean windows and tiles and upholstery and stuff

Cherrytree59 Mon 26-Jul-21 18:10:57

I will second the bona mop and solution.
Hard wood /laminate/tile
Have had mine for over five years.
It came with 2 pads which I chuck in the washing machine at same time as dusters etc.

Buy solution from Amazon

Cherrytree59 Mon 26-Jul-21 18:11:41

Ps recommended by the floor fitter.

Franbern Tue 27-Jul-21 08:44:37

I have a Vileda mop. So easy to use in my Karndean living room and hallway floor, and also on laminate in bathrooms, and kitchen. Just fill it with tap water and any floor cleaner of your own choice. Nothing to plug in or re-charge. Light and easy to use, and gentle on all floors. long handle, two pads, both easily washed in washing machine. I paid £22.99 for it back in 2019. Easy to store - love it. I do have a very old, very cheap steam cleaner, but that is rarely used, never on hard floor only occasionally on rugs.

BabyLayla Fri 30-Jul-21 10:57:13

Another vote for airglide, I’m often struggling with pain and this is a life changer, almost does itself. Pads wash. I just use plain water.