Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving home at 66

(16 Posts)
Newquay Tue 28-Sep-21 09:06:46

Funnily enough we’ve just helped DH’s sister move house. She was in private rented accommodation-long story why, she says herself she’s always made bad decisions! We kept saying you MUST get into social housing-sure enough, she suddenly got notice to quit! It actually did her a favour and she obtained a lovely one bedroomed council bungalow. Much cheaper rent. It’s in a lovely little area, very pleasant neighbours. Very near to a bus route-she won’t be able to afford a car when she stops work. Shops in easy walking distance too. It truly was an answer to prayer!

Shandy57 Mon 27-Sep-21 20:15:59

I'd recommend making a list of must haves, nice to haves, and definitely don't wants! Your eventual budget will determine where you can go. I was trying to move south but my budget wouldn't stretch to a bungalow there, so I've stayed in the north.

I do believe location is everything, I was so lucky to find this bungalow.

I got a lot of help from other Gransnetters on here, and narrowed it down to a train station nearby so I could get into London/my kids could get to me easily, as well as a good bus service for when I no longer wanted to drive. A hospital, dentist, and doctor within easy reach was also on my list. Think about what you want, and try and stay a few days in the area in the winter, when it could be very different.

Septimia Sun 26-Sep-21 12:32:19

We moved to the country 30+ years ago. DS has just moved to a town not far from London. It's awful. Yes there are open spaces and some lovely countryside and coast, but the traffic is horrendous. And there are neighbours close enough that you have to get on with them.

Our public transport is abysmal, but the community isn't bad and I have absolutely no desire to move back to a town.

So my advice is to think carefully about your requirements and look carefully at what is available and where. What suits one person may be anathema to another. Renting for a while or at least an extended stay may be a good idea.

Jane43 Sun 26-Sep-21 12:19:03

Our last move was two days before my DH’s 70th birthday and although it is our ninth house we said never again, it was exhausting. When you finally find a house you like have a really close look during your viewing/viewings. We have friends who have recently moved and although the pictures on line look lovely and the house had everything they were looking for despite two viewings when they moved in and began to unpack and put things away they found the house was really dirty, especially the kitchen where everything has a coating of grease and grime; the units are real wood so it wasn’t noticeable. Six weeks on they are still cleaning each room one by one. They are in their late sixties but my friend suffers from a bad back and says if they’d given the house a closer look they would have gone away in their caravan for a few days and got in a cleaning company to at least deep clean the kitchen, bathroom and en suite.

JackK Thu 16-Sep-21 11:14:45

You've all made some really helpful comments ... particularly around bus routes and hospital facilities. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I shall draw up a list of pros and cons as suggested - this would probably sort my head out!

henetha Thu 16-Sep-21 10:39:33

I moved at age 72 and don't regret it. SueDonim's idea is a good one, - rent first. Or at least check out the area thoroughly, - hospitals, access to shops, buses, etc. Moving can be a great adventure, so why not? Good luck.

seacliff Thu 16-Sep-21 09:08:52

I live in the sticks, and would NOT recommend you move to a country cottage. When I broke my wrist I was stuck in for 6 weeks with no local buses. Although a few friends came it was a miserable lonely time.

Plan a new home for worst case scenario - Cannot drive and need regular access to a good hospital. Also if you were in a motorised wheel chair, could you get along to local library, coffee shops, a park to people watch, cinema or theatre etc so you could still enjoy life. I agree about checking if there is a U3A and other social groups.

You never know what life will throw at you, but being too remote is not a good idea.

Newquay Thu 16-Sep-21 08:44:42

Agrée with wildswan-plan for the worst and hope for the best

Franbern Thu 16-Sep-21 08:43:31

I find it strange that older people think they wish to 'escape to the country', at the time of their lives when they are more likely to need the facilities that only towns can offer. My Bil and SiL did this in their late sixties, seven years back, gorgeous house - they both hate it, my SiL still calls her old area in London 'home'. They are now trying, desperately, to move back - very much more difficult.

As you get older you need to ensure that anywhere you live, has easy access to different sorts of public transport, close to shops, GP surgeries, dentists, hosptials, etc. etc.

Find out if any area you are considering has things like good U3A's, WI, etc. to help you to meet, and be part of, different interest groups.

Really find out about any area you are considering moving to - visit at different times of the year and different times of the week, etc.

I made (for me) an enormous move out of London - where I had always lived - to Weston super Mare, when I was in my late 70's. BUT....it was a town I had visted (as had daughter and her family there), for the preceding twenty years. For me it has been a highly successful move, as everything is so very close - all within easy trundling - on my mobility scooter- distance.

Do remember, that friends will obviously promise to visit you regularly - and mean it when they say it - but in actuality may come once or twice and then that is likely to stop or, be at the most once a year. Good to keep in touch with them, but you need opportunities to make new friends in any new living area.

As had been said, a goodly list with all the pros and cons, and lots of time spent investigating any new area,

Good Luck

wildswan16 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:29:13

Definitely move, but wherever you end up make sure it is "age-proof". That it has good transport links (if you become unable to drive you don't want to walk half a mile or more for a bus), reasonably near all shops, medical, dental etc. Enough to do to keep you active and busy.

Personally I moved from the country to the city. I have everything on my doorstep, countless things to do and places to go. If I need peace and quiet I can easily hope on a bus (for free!) and go out for the day.

Whatever you decide, try to spend a few days there - preferably in the winter and in the worst weather, before you decide.

kircubbin2000 Wed 15-Sep-21 21:32:20

A good age to move, better before 70s.

Caleo Wed 15-Sep-21 19:40:20

I moved when I was 68. I like where I am but if I were doing it again with hindsight, I'd move to a bungalow sort of district where there are more people rarher like myself.

Casdon Wed 15-Sep-21 18:19:37

I think I’d start a pros and cons list for a potential move. Think about why you hate where you live now, and whether there is an area near where you live now that you can imagine liking better than the town? There are lots of lovely rural areas in Leicestershire from what I know of it, so given you have friends and your son nearby, I personally would first look to move within your existing area rather than move to Cheshire where you only have one set of friends if I’ve understood you correctly?

Brocky Wed 15-Sep-21 18:03:03

My husband and I (72yrs 69yrs) took the bull by the horns and moved from a large 3 bed semi to a 2 bedroom flat in an independent-living apartment to be nearer home and Plymouth Hoe! Living in Wiltshire for almost 40yrs we missed the sea and the nearest live theatre, goodbye stairs and gardens! We have beautiful gardens here, well tended by two gardeners. Listen to your heart and sole to guide you.

SueDonim Wed 15-Sep-21 18:00:51

Try renting in the area before selling your own place?

JackK Wed 15-Sep-21 17:51:53

I have three more years to plan this, but I like to plan ahead!
I've lived in this Leicestershire town for 16 years, and I detest it. I love my house, but the garden is too big for me to manage anymore and when I retire I'd prefer to live in a more rural setting. I have some good friends in Cheshire and have seen quite a few small cottages on Right Move that would be perfect for my needs.
The dilemma is this: would I be making a massive mistake, moving at that time in my life? I live alone (with one cat), one son lives in Australia and the other 10 miles from me - but he plans to move in the next few years too. I have a couple of close friends here who would travel to see me (and vice versa), but my head is all over the place! I would dearly value your comments and advice please!