House and home

Help calm me. House buying and selling stress

(996 Posts)
Spice101 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:39:33

Link to first 8 threads

tinyurl.com/4883ywjs

Thread #9

Shandy57 Wed 04-May-22 13:41:50

Just got my email back. Left the t out of internet!

Shandy57 Wed 04-May-22 16:58:12

Email bounced back again, not recognised so I texted and he's just phoned me. Said as you thought that it is probably pieces left from the original roof and to deter the crows, to try a kite on a pole, as the farmers use.

We've just had the worst thunderstorm in years, very glad to report I'm still dry here!

Yoginimeisje Thu 05-May-22 08:47:16

Karmalady in the nicest possible way 'shut your mouth!'
That's a lot of work, putting 70 plants in, I had geraniums in my last house, they are lovely and great for ground cover, I'll have to get some for here. You were clever putting your rotary line in!

Shandy57 Thu 05-May-22 12:46:47

Morning all, damp but a bit warmer today. I was scared on the beach even with my rubber boots on when the lightning started yesterday, we've not had any for a long time.

Just popping in to say I've just heard that my old neighbour at the station has just had his buyer withdraw today, on the day of exchange. Their reason - 'they were worried they wouldn't be able to sleep'. Why offer on a house on a live railway line and wait three months to do this. People really give me the pip sometimes!

karmalady Thu 05-May-22 15:33:40

there ought to be recompense for late withdrawal for a spurious reason, something they could have worked out even before they looked around. Buying and selling is so difficult and our system here does not help at all. I do feel sorry for the neighbours

Yogi, grin yes I wish I could ride with my mouth shut but it is very good for oxygen intake grin

So I finished making a very nice layering vest, like a parka construction with a hood but no sleeves. I love it when I get something positive from my day. It was complicated but kept my brain stretched. I need to tidy my sewing stuff now. Gosh the day does go quickly when I am enjoying myself

Lightening, ok looking out but scary in it. Never ever have an umbrella up in lightening. Best thing to do in a wide open space is lay flat on the ground, honestly, no kidding and don`t shelter under a tree

Shandy57 Thu 05-May-22 17:05:20

Glad you've had a fun time sewing karmalady.

I think my fear of lightning came after it struck the telephone line, travelled down the cable to my computer, and melted it. It was just after we'd moved in to the house in 1999 and I didn't realise it could happen. If I'm at home and there is lightning I always unplug the router now, but I was out at the beach when it started. I picked my dog up and ran - well as fast as you can with a 12 kg dog in your arms!

Yoginimeisje Fri 06-May-22 09:35:52

Bad luck for your neighbour Shandy we all know the feelings.
You're lucky walking on the beach, we now have a restriction from 1st May till 1st Oct. I took some pics a couple of days beforehand with not a soul before or behind me. Thorpe bay is away from the tourist areas, so only a few locals walking there, even summer holiday time it's quite empty, so annoying!

Karmalady we had the most beautiful rainbow. I did some sawing, repairing my garden chair covers, took ages as more needed repairing than I realised, ended up cover one whole side when I thought it was just the seat that was needed.

Shandy you wasn't born on Friday the 13th were you? shock

karmalady Fri 06-May-22 10:12:47

good on you yogi. The most satisfaction comes from jobs that you do yourself. Apart from electrics and plumbing, I always say that we women can do anything unless it is too heavy or too high and there are so many good teaching videos on youtube

My exercise today is from being out in the garden all day, hands and knees stuff, getting down and up, twisting, lifting a bucket of stones, stretching and not forgetting the de-stressing that comes from being grounded, in contact with earth. I am using a small hand rake wolf garten, interchangeable, I have long, short and medium poles. such good strong tools. It is very warm and sunny, sun glasses and hat on

I have had to put my one sprout plant out, under a small net cage for now, the birds like to eat the leaves. I am sitting on my hands re transplanting out, my tomatoes are flowering and so sturdy but they don`t like below 10, which we are still getting at night

Tbh I do like to be in tune with the seasons, it is good for my health and psyche

Franbern Fri 06-May-22 11:30:12

Our long beaches in WsM has restrictions during summer months about dog walking in just one stretch. Sadly, there are still too many dog owners who are not responsible with picking up their pets poo, or just think that kicking some sand over it is okay. So, when my g.children were small, I always went to the part of the beach that prohibited dogs when we visited.

Yogi I was born on a Friday 1th - it is fortunate that I do not have a any part of me that is superstitious!!!

*Shandy, hope roofer has reassured you now.

In the final stages of taking everything out of my kitchen ready for Monday. Both larder fridge and small freezer have been emptied and cleaned. I have all the paper work on them both, and someone will get a good bargain when I sell these. Will also need to sell my lovely freestanding combi microwave - another bargain for someone.

Have opened up my dining table, carefully covered it, and that will be my 'kitchen' for the next fortnight. That combi-microwave will go on there (on Sunday) along with kettle, egg boiler, single electric hob, toaster.

Probably good for us ( well, at least hoarders like me) to have to have a complete sort out of kitchens every couple of years or so. Obviously, I did it when I moved here, cannot believe how much I have in cupboards, etc. both foodstuffs, tins and gadgets. Resolution with new kitchen is NOT to hoard!!!!

I am working very hard NOT to get myself too stressed about the next fortnight. Hopefully, it will all happen exactly as planned with no problems. Will keep you all informed.

Shandy57 Fri 06-May-22 12:11:34

Afternoon all, just back from the PO. Very sad, the pavement was covered in tiny honey bees at one spot. I picked them all up and put them in the garden, probably dying workers.

ha ha Yogi, you made me think then, I was born on the 8th!

Enjoy your weekend Franbern, hope your chap isn't starting too early, I found it a strain being up and ready for the roof men at 8 am every day.

Builder told me the crows do peck at roofs and it is possibly the pieces left from the old roof, and to get a bird scarer kite, or an owl. He said the roof is solid and not to worry at all. He can see my roof from his bathroom window, and promised to shout 'go away' if he sees crows on it smile He has just had to mesh around all of his solar panels as the pigeons are trying to nest there.

I've just got a text from the previous owner asking if her Ticketmaster tickets have arrived here, how awkward!

karmalady Sat 07-May-22 06:55:33

The next two weeks will go in a kind of daze franbern, day by day, it isn`t that comfortable having people in the house but will be worth it.

I definitely agree about the sort out from time to time, I have too many lovely nordic ware tins, all up high in top cupboards and low down, within reach, I have the usual baking tins of all types. They take up a lot of cupboard space. I might do a re-jig on a rainy day, maybe put those in bottom cupboards. I won`t remove any

I took my monthly gas reading today and I used a lot less than last month, I worked out the kwh in the units and the cost equals the monthly standing charge, my gas will only save me £10. There is no scope to further reduce my gas bill throughout the whole summer and electricity use seems to be pretty static +/- only a few units. I either put some more into my own savings account or bump up my octopus dd by a few £ every month, I want to start winter with a half decent credit balance. I think I will do the latter, by maybe £10 pm

My hands and knees gardening was finished by 1 yesterday, it is so much easier overall to do this from time to time. My actual soil area is not big but I grow as vertically as possible. I did notice that the present sedums are definitely keeping weeds down in their area.

It is another warm and beautiful day ahead, the roads and beaches will be rammed

Yoginimeisje Sat 07-May-22 08:16:31

I've just got a text from the previous owner asking if her Ticketmaster tickets have arrived here, how awkward! I hope you're going to write back and tell her all the problems you've been having Shandy

Shandy57 Sat 07-May-22 10:10:48

Morning all, bit warmer today but overcast.

Argh, the bills - I gave in and had the heating on again last night. I so wish I had an open fire of some sort.

Yogi, I'd already asked her for the history of the floors, and she said she'd made the floor surveys available to me. I told her I never got them. The tickets didn't arrive yesterday, I hope they do soon and I can forward them. I told someone and she said what's she going to see, 'The Woody Blues', or the 'Beetles'! smile

Have a good weekend everyone.

karmalady Sat 07-May-22 11:12:48

woohoo, I got it shandy, wood and beetles. Tell her you want a copy of the floor survey to put in your file, act innocent

I saw an article that said we are in for mega mega heatwaves this summer, it is actually on the official weather models that closely track potential weather systems. The sort of weather that leaves many of us like limp lettuce and useless for doing anything. Tip, a fan with a wet towel on an airer in front, exactly the same effect as an expensive air cooler

Mmm I think I may as well put my linen bedding on, I did wake too warm last night. Sorry shandy, I know you are colder up there. My ds in glasgow would much rather be up there than down here in summer but yes it is cool and rainy up there

I have put my tomatoes out, put one courgette out, with a cloche over at night. So be it if I have to run around with fleece for the tomatoes but they will thrive at anything over 10 degrees. I did more stone digging and found a place for my parsley seedlings. I am hoping I can leave them there to self-seed. Oh and I saw a cabbage white butterfly this morning and have been visited by a flock of small birds, like sparrows but with a black ring about their ears and a bit of a look like blue tits. No idea what they are but they are in and out of my trees and pecking the soil. Siskins?

Shinamae Sat 07-May-22 16:30:04

karmalady

The next two weeks will go in a kind of daze franbern, day by day, it isn`t that comfortable having people in the house but will be worth it.

I definitely agree about the sort out from time to time, I have too many lovely nordic ware tins, all up high in top cupboards and low down, within reach, I have the usual baking tins of all types. They take up a lot of cupboard space. I might do a re-jig on a rainy day, maybe put those in bottom cupboards. I won`t remove any

I took my monthly gas reading today and I used a lot less than last month, I worked out the kwh in the units and the cost equals the monthly standing charge, my gas will only save me £10. There is no scope to further reduce my gas bill throughout the whole summer and electricity use seems to be pretty static +/- only a few units. I either put some more into my own savings account or bump up my octopus dd by a few £ every month, I want to start winter with a half decent credit balance. I think I will do the latter, by maybe £10 pm

My hands and knees gardening was finished by 1 yesterday, it is so much easier overall to do this from time to time. My actual soil area is not big but I grow as vertically as possible. I did notice that the present sedums are definitely keeping weeds down in their area.

It is another warm and beautiful day ahead, the roads and beaches will be rammed

My direct debit to octopus was only £97 a month which I thought was too low anyway having three grown-ups in the house anyway I put it up to £107 then I’ll put it up again to £117 and I’ve just put it up again to £130 also I am trying to save in a separate account hundred pounds a month because goodness knows what we’re in for ?

karmalady Sat 07-May-22 18:42:45

Its very tricky shinamae, we have to be realistic if we are going to survive winter, all too easy to float along now because the weather is better. I did put mine up earlier, to £95 and even that is not going to give me much surplus by october

I am thinking ahead a bit to other ways of keeping warm and tbh it comes down to clothes. I want to feel comfy and able to answer the door to any caller in what I am wearing. I have tights and leggings and camisoles, home made woollen socks to go with tights or leggings. I need another underslip and definitely some warm woollen skirts, which I will make. The fabric came today and that is a project for september. Three skirts will do me fine, all the same style but different colours

I feel as though I have been really busy today, no rushing at any time but plenty to fill my day. Very satisfying really

Spice101 Sun 08-May-22 05:50:36

Still room for a few posts on this thread but not sure when I'll get back so started a new one.

Shandy57 Sun 08-May-22 21:25:27

I've just had a lovely call from my son, he's just standing on the deck of the cruise ship having spent the afternoon in Venice. That's what I'd hoped to be doing now!

Lovely to see you Spice101, I hope you and your family are all well.

karmalady Mon 09-May-22 06:19:35

I have so enjoyed reading all the posts above and thank you spice. I have been wondering how you are and it was nice to see your post

There are so many `what ifs` that can be raked up in the buying process but they need to be pushed into the background. What ifs can be a real barrier to making progress. The main thing is that the house is sound and in the location you want

The main thing for me was to get the best possible survey while I was looking at a 1930s house. That caused me to pull out eg the lead pipe down the very long narrow drive to the road, the drain under the extension. I won`t go into the rest but I had a chat with someone to clarify things and I pulled out. I did not need a survey for this new build

I counted my roses the other day, 31 and 30 are david austin, they are laden with buds now and ready to flower. I bought the first 12 for the front of my house and I was deep into digging just a month after moving.

Thankfully I only have normal living expenses now, nothing else needs to be done to the house or garden. I have to second about the expense, it drains money, even in a new build. 20k for actual selling/buying and maybe 30k for settling in.

karmalady Mon 09-May-22 07:12:21

I store stuff under beds when possible but not in any old jumble. For painting, I bought 3 massive insulated bags as I thought I would have to empty my freezer. Instead thay are perfection for storing things under a bed. I have been delving in my airing cupboardjust now, new build ones are not big and there is no tank.

I am wanting to store my fitted winter candlewick bedspreads and perhaps a flannel bedding set, they are bulky. I have ordered one more of those storage bags. Thay are £29.99 from amazon, red pizza takeaway bag. They hold a lot and are rugged bags. Storage is my problem but there are ways around it