Gransnet forums

House and home

What’s the best gadget you’ve ever bought?

(204 Posts)
Chrisks Thu 14-Oct-21 11:09:14

For me it’s my soup maker and a sellotape dispenser! Couldn’t do without either of them!

Krispii Sat 16-Oct-21 10:41:22

My One Cup Hot Water dispenser

AJKW Sat 16-Oct-21 10:41:35

Kenwood Chef titanium and all its attachments. Expensive but worth every penny.

kirflyn Sat 16-Oct-21 10:42:04

Absolutely my sat. nav. My world would be so much smaller without it!

Emelie321 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:43:42

Not a gadget person, really - but I too couldn't do without my food processor. And on occasion my pineapple peeler and corer from Lakeland really comes into its own - saves so much time and aggro....!

Lindylou23 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:47:47

Vax shower/window vac. No smears brilliant, just takes a little getting used to angle it right, and away to go.

jennymolly Sat 16-Oct-21 10:48:02

I'm not one for gadgets but the one I love is my soup maker. Very simple, just a jug with a motor and blade attached to the lid. Chop whatever veg I fancy or have lurking in the bottom of the fridge, top up with cold water, two veggie stock cubes, switch on and in 19 minutes enough for 4 bowls of utterly delicious fresh soup. Sometimes I add a swirl of cream in the bowls. Hardly any effort and utterly wonderful.

gran5up Sat 16-Oct-21 10:49:02

I didn't buy it, it was a wedding gift...in 1967 and still in use, at least once a week.
A Tala box grater-no, it doesn't grate boxes but is box shaped. It has different grades of size of grater, for cheese, nutmeg, fruit zest etc, and my kids loved the slicer side which enabled slices of cheese of uniform thickness, makes a great sandwich and a better toasted sandwich.
Sadly, I wrote to Tala to thank them for this wonderful long-serving invention and received no reply. Awww.

Cabbie21 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:49:34

A kettle! My daughter has just stayed in a holiday let with all mod cons but no kettle! Boiling water tap instead. I dislike them.
Least useful is a steam cleaner. I am glad I did not pay a lot for it, as I can do a better job by hand.

sarahcyn Sat 16-Oct-21 10:49:37

Hot competition between breadmaker and Thermomix. The Thermomix claims it can make bread as well as everything else, so probably comes out a hair’s breadth ahead - but I’d hate to be without breadmaker.
Fairly good advice I was once given: never buy a gadget with the name of an ingredient in its title because it will only do one thing. But wait: garlic press. And I love my apple slicer!

Mayjay1604 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:50:35

The Flash power mop.

Sherry1 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:50:43

I'm not sure if it has a name but... one of those multi spike gizmos that you use to hold an onion so you can thinly slice/dice onions. Only cost a few pence but saved countless hours in prepping

HannahLoisLuke Sat 16-Oct-21 10:51:30

annodomini

A Kenwood mini chopper, bought many years ago on a Delia recommendation. It chops breadcrumbs, herbs, cheese, fruit, nuts... anything you need in smallish quantities. A crumble topping for one person (me) takes seconds. For bigger tasks, my faithful Magimix.

I’m with you on that one annodomini. I got one over thirty years ago for making baby food to freeze in small amounts. The baby is now a 6’3” thirty year old and the little processor is still used.
Other than that my slow cooker, and of course all the usual household appliances.

Awesomegranny Sat 16-Oct-21 10:51:54

Spiralizer for making courgetti spaghetti

sunnybean60 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:52:49

My favourite plastic tin drainer came free with purchasing 6 tins of tuna! Love it and wish I could buy more for friends who like it too.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 16-Oct-21 10:54:05

Forgot to mention my ratchet secateurs, cut through quite thick branches without breaking my wrist.

Socialmedia70 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:54:09

My favourite is a gadget that helps me put on my sock/stocking. I am disabled and have difficulty bending. Wouldn’t be without it.

Patsytaylor Sat 16-Oct-21 10:54:19

Robot vacuum. I just don't know where it finds all the dust!
Murphy Richards 'My Pot' - slow cooker, pressure cooker and dearer all in one pot.
Nice dicer. Got old model but will look for recommended newer one

pintuck Sat 16-Oct-21 10:54:29

If you can call it a gadget, my call blocker telephone (actually a set of 3 cordless ones). I was getting 2 or 3 scam phone calls a day until I got this set (usually the 'there's something wrong with your computer' scam). It was easy to set up as it sync'd with my iphone and instantly downloaded all my contacts into its memory. It only lets calls through straight away from people on my contacts list - otherwise it interrogates them, asking for their name, then asks me if I want to take the call. I assume that the scammers terminate the call at this stage as I have not had one scam call in the 3 years I've had it - money very well spent in my opinion.

Patsytaylor Sat 16-Oct-21 10:55:01

Sorry, should be searer

annab275 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:56:19

My instant pot which is an electric pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. I make fresh soup in 5 minutes, dried beans without soaking in about half an hour, rice in five minutes and lovely veg curries and hotpots. I also use my Bamix stick blender most days too.

GrannyBettie Sat 16-Oct-21 10:56:51

I would echo applause for the Thermomix. I would not be exaggerating if I said I used it 6 days out of 7 - sometimes 7. Yesterday used it twice. It is the best thing since sliced bread. I would like to upgrade but they are sooooooo. expensive. However, compared to money I have wasted on other gadgets this wins hands down.

GrannyBettie Sat 16-Oct-21 10:58:29

Sarahcyn ,
I have used my Thermomix to make bread. It was really nice but a bit dense, which I would think would not happen so much in a bread maker (I don't have one).

Jillyjosie Sat 16-Oct-21 11:00:51

A Russell Hobbs vegetable chopper, a real time saver and it makes super salads, coleslaw etc.

Essentiallyjane Sat 16-Oct-21 11:01:58

For me it two things I bought together. One is a battery operated tin/can opener and second is a implement to open jars and bottles. The latter has already been mentioned by someone. I have arthritis in my hands and both of these have helped me no end.

Quaver22 Sat 16-Oct-21 11:03:00

I have recently moved house and a small blade which retracts inside a plastic cover has been invaluable for opening sealed boxes. It is the best 99 pence I have ever spent.