Gransnet forums

House and home

What’s the best gadget you’ve ever bought?

(204 Posts)
Chrisks Thu 14-Oct-21 11:09:14

For me it’s my soup maker and a sellotape dispenser! Couldn’t do without either of them!

CanadianGran Sun 17-Oct-21 05:44:44

I must admit I love twirling apples around with my apple peeler. It's just so satisfying - mine slices as it peels so you get nice even thin slices. Grandchildren love sliced apples with a bit of cinnamon sugar.

Where would we be without the ipad? It settles arguments, looks up places on the map, allows me to video-visit my distanced family, and endlessly entertains me.

Also:
Bottle stopper/sealer - I can never get a proper cork back in the bottle, these little stoppers seal well.
Hand held blender
Cordless meat thermometer - it's brilliant; you put it in the roast and leave it in while it cooks. You get a ding on your phone when it is 15 minutes from done. It's called the Meater.

Shropshirelass Sun 17-Oct-21 10:24:13

I have recently purchased a Ninja Foodie, 9 in 1. It is brilliant. I know I am not yet using it to its full capacity but so far so good. I tend to sauté, pressure cook and air fry but it does so much more! Using less power so more economical.

GrannyTracey Sun 17-Oct-21 11:00:17

I fancy buying a soup maker. In your opinion would it be a good buy ?

GrannyTracey Sun 17-Oct-21 11:01:31

Anyone know what this beautiful flowering bush is called ?

GrannyTracey Sun 17-Oct-21 11:03:21

Sorry folk , I’m new to this & thought I was posting 2 new posts but obviously not , so sorry - can I remove them ? & how do I start a new post ?

libra10 Sun 17-Oct-21 11:06:49

I think they're Michaelmas daisies, we have some in our garden and they give a lovely splash of colour.

But I think we're on the wrong thread. @GrannyTracey

Silverlady333 Sun 17-Oct-21 13:16:18

Witzend you can still get Rotary Grater, from John Lewis on line and also on Amazon.

Annigranni I think it is simply called a ‘needle threader’.

Albangirl14 You can buy Bodum 11440-913 Bistro Peeler on Amazon (if that is what you mean).

My favorite gadget is my Echo dot ‘Alexa’ and the ‘Shazam’ app on my mobile. Any piece of music I like I Shazam it and then add it to my Alexa playlist. Music from my teens and even stuff my mother liked. Music from movies on the television or even adverts! Music I would never go out and buy, I love it!

SachaMac Sun 17-Oct-21 15:35:05

Has to be my Tassimo coffee machine and my soup maker. Have loads of other gadgets shoved in the cupboard that never get used but those two are in constant use.

Floradora9 Sun 17-Oct-21 16:01:04

Ours does this and it was from BT

Floriel Sun 17-Oct-21 18:41:54

All these kitchen gadget nominations make me feel a bit guilty as DH is a jolly good cook, so he takes care of dinner while I sit at leisure with my iPad, my favourite gadget of all time. I was trying to explain to GC the other day how time-consuming research used to be and how everything's available now with a few clicks. No more being driven mad because I've forgotten a line of poetry, or the name of a actor - it's all there. It's like having a world of information and connectivity on your knee.

Amberone Sun 17-Oct-21 18:49:45

I have recently purchased a Ninja Foodie, 9 in 1. It is brilliant. I know I am not yet using it to its full capacity but so far so good.

Me too, Shropshirelass. I use the airfryer more than anything else - chips, chilled meals, burgers, bacon, whole chicken, whole gammon, it does them all. My oven is hardly used these days.

Lentilweaver Sun 17-Oct-21 20:00:31

thank you Rowyn smile - it is still available! But the description makes it sound like it just displays the caller number and then allows you to block it in future- but does it actually 'screen' the calls?

rowyn Sun 17-Oct-21 22:41:37

Lentilweaver
You need to set up a list of contacts on the phone and then
it screens all calls from numbers that are not in your contact list . It somehow works out which are cold calls and I don't receive those at all, but other callers are asked to say their name and when I hear it I can choose whether to accept the call or reject it by pressing the appropriate button. It's wonderful - don't get all those nuisance calls any more.

Laterunner Mon 18-Oct-21 08:46:21

Wooden tongs to take toast out of toaster so no burned fingers. Stores well and ready to use inside the kitchen roll tube next to toaster. Cheap but very useful

JackyB Mon 18-Oct-21 09:10:06

Since I bought my new toaster I have always put the bread in a toastie bag before putting it in the toaster. No crumbs and certainly no broken off bits jamming up the works, burning, smelling, smoking or even catching fire. I have yet to try a cheese sandwich that way, but I have warmed up waffles.

Despite toasters having removable crumb trays I always found that they collected the crumbs everywhere but in those trays, in as inaccessible places as possible.

JackyB Mon 18-Oct-21 09:11:04

Oh, and the point I was trying to make was that tongs are not necessary because you just lift out the bag.

Supergranuation Mon 18-Oct-21 13:10:33

Thanks for your recommendation Oofy, I will take a look at the Lakeland soup maker and also the garlic gadget! We use our Karcher window vac in the shower cubicle every day. We call it our Sucker Upper!!

Lentilweaver Wed 20-Oct-21 09:39:35

that's fantastic Rowyn many thanks

Goldgal57 Wed 20-Oct-21 15:04:44

Best gadget is an electric knife, brilliant for cutting meat and bread, got first one as wedding present and it lasted 30 years. I'm still married and on my second knife which I've had for 12 years so far.
grin

Witzend Thu 21-Oct-21 10:50:22

Dh bought it, not me - a Karcher window washer. The only thing is, getting him to use it again, after the initial boys’-toy enthusiasm. We do have a window cleaner but the insides are now making me go ? when the sun’s shining on them.

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Oct-21 10:53:27

My robot lawn mower! I love sitting on the garden chairs watching Charlie do his stuff!!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Oct-21 11:03:19

I didn’t buy my best gadget, I married him…

Judy54 Thu 21-Oct-21 17:02:59

Oh GrannyGravy13 I love that. Sounds like he was quite a catch!

MadeInYorkshire Mon 15-Nov-21 15:39:55

pce612

Masha from Lakeland - perfect mash (not just potato) every time. Also beats egg whites etc.
Kuhn Rikon can opener. Debonds the can from the lid, doesn't touch the food at all, so totally hygienic and no sharp edges. Perfect if you use empty tins for crafts and the lid can be used as bird scarers if you grow your own. Got mine from Amzon.

pce612

I have just bought one of these on your recommendation and it is great! Does bottles and tins and ring pulls etc BUT there's one function on it that I can't quite make out - little plastic thing on one side that just moves a sort of small 'metal gripper' thing on the other side - any ideas what that does?

SecondhandRose Tue 28-Dec-21 10:45:02

My life has recently been changed with the addition of a Karcher window vacuum. Fantastic for shower screens, tiles, condensation, mirrors and windows. Bye bye smears and drips.