Gransnet forums

House and home

High gloss kitchen am I mad?

(27 Posts)
Bluefox Sat 27-Nov-21 23:48:25

My DH and I are building our retirement home, we are hoping to make a modern open plan living space and have found some completely gorgeous coffee grey super high gloss units we’ve fallen in love with for the kitchen. I’ve had a light coloured painted kitchen for years and haven’t found it that easy to care for, I know I could go for a wood effect and that would be super forgiving. I want to be having family over frequently, having everyone together our boys and families including a dog. I’ve been so very sensible for all my life and there’s a part of me that just wants to have my dream home for once before I snuff it but am I completely mad to have a high gloss kitchen?

paddyann54 Mon 29-Nov-21 00:15:05

Kamiso ,have a look at Ikea ,their kitchen cabinets are deeper than most other and they have a great range of style and colours.They have a fitting option though we have always built our own with no problem ,and they are very well priced

Kamiso Sun 28-Nov-21 23:34:26

Very useful information. We will be doing our kitchen after Christmas and I wasn’t sure about high gloss and now know to avoid Earthstone!

Wicks proved to be much more expensive than others though they a helpful gadget where you put tiles, doors, worktop samples together to help get a clear idea of how they look together.

annodomini Sun 28-Nov-21 23:18:42

I'd go for the high gloss if I were renovating my kitchen. My DS and partner settled for a matt white finish and it looks dowdy by comparison with the high gloss which several friends have chosen. Also, marks show up and are harder to remove from a matt surface.

Kate54 Sun 28-Nov-21 22:57:40

I say ‘brave’ but if you love green, go for it! On the other hand, there are greens and there are greens…..

Llamas99 Sun 28-Nov-21 22:44:30

Hi, Friends! I keep waiting and looking for anything for the home in Green! My favorite color and always has been. What say my UK friends?

Forsythia Sun 28-Nov-21 10:12:33

This is a very interesting and timely thread for me as I’m currently going through brochures from Wickes and Howdens deciding what to choose. I like the high gloss look so am very tempted.

glammanana Sun 28-Nov-21 10:08:28

I am having a new kitchen fitted in February and have chosen pale grey high gloss my DD has had a cream gloss kitchen for 5 yrs now and it looks as good now as it was when fitted.

Visgir1 Sun 28-Nov-21 09:42:56

Had,x2 now. Not a problem keeping them ship shape.

Peasblossom Sun 28-Nov-21 09:30:37

I’ve got white high gloss, no handles. It’s so easy to keep looking nice I don’t actually clean it very often?

TerriBull Sun 28-Nov-21 09:28:08

new knew. I meant to add, I really like the fact that the cupboards are handle less but I think the areas where they are likely to be opened need attention when cleaning.

Sofa Sun 28-Nov-21 09:10:17

We had a high gloss pale grey kitchen fitted 3 years ago and it’s great. Very easy to keep clean with a damp cloth. Go for it!

Kim19 Sun 28-Nov-21 09:07:14

I've high gloss light grey. Beautiful and it makes me so happy. As 'somewhat' non domesticated I was advised against it. However, as everyone has said, a quick wipeover with a damp micro and, bingo, beauty restored. Takes all of five minutes max to achieve that.

TerriBull Sun 28-Nov-21 08:59:35

We moved this year, on our first viewing, as soon as I saw the kitchen I new I wanted the house before I saw the rest. It runs right across the back with bifold doors on to the garden a lot of high gloss white units. Not a problem at all to keep clean, although when the sun floods in, it can highlight any areas that may have somehow been overlooked. As others have stated here, they really aren't a problem to keep clean I use a Flash kitchen spray that does a pretty good job, but I'm looking here at others suggestions too, so may try those out.

Hope you get the kitchen of your dreams OP.

Kate54 Sun 28-Nov-21 08:58:27

Handle less high gloss white doors great - vinegar spray removes finger marks easily. But be careful with your choice of worktop - I paid (a lot) extra for something called Earthstone which needs a special cleaner and scratches far too easily. They even give you a kit to get the scratches out (doesn’t work). It’s really designed for people who don’t cook or wash up!

nandad Sun 28-Nov-21 08:24:23

Like you Bluefox I’m forever being sensible rather than having what I truly want and then wasting time wishing I had gone for beauty over practical. Get what you desire. Only thing I would say is that light colours won’t show finger prints so much. Friend has dark grey kitchen units and is forever wiping and polishing them.

love0c Sun 28-Nov-21 08:10:55

No. High gloss units are brilliant. So easy to clean and look 'new' all the time.

Urmstongran Sun 28-Nov-21 08:09:19

High gloss cream units here in our apartment. We downsized 11y ago to here and they were already in as a new build. I still love them!

bikergran Sun 28-Nov-21 08:00:41

My friend has high gloss they look great I would def have one,as no animals,but my friends dog has jumped up to the cupboards on few occasions like excited when feeding time and its claws have scratched the surface

NotAGran55 Sun 28-Nov-21 07:30:12

My sister has a very glamorous high gloss black and white kitchen, no door handles, ridges, groves etc . Sleek, smooth and minimalist. Looks amazing and is easy to clean,

Go for it!

paddyann54 Sun 28-Nov-21 01:12:16

I use window cleaner with vinegar in it to clean my high gloss kitchen,its the easiest kitchen for cleaning I've ever had .Will certainly have another when its time to change

Redhead56 Sun 28-Nov-21 01:03:57

My son built his in white high gloss refitted my kitchen and asked if I wanted the same. I said no oh how I regret it as his is so easy to clean and looks fab.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 28-Nov-21 00:36:54

I have a cream high gloss kitchen. I use glass cleaner on it. It always looks great.

Spice101 Sun 28-Nov-21 00:23:08

I have high gloss white kitchen - in fact all doors in the house except bathrooms and laundry.
They are so easy to clean although ideally they need to be dried off after cleaning to avoid streaks. Worth the effort though.

Deedaa Sat 27-Nov-21 23:55:35

We put high gloss white doors on our kitchen units about 10 years ago and they've been great. Very easy to wipe clean, even for a housework hater like me.

Nandalot Sat 27-Nov-21 23:53:19

I fell in love with cream coloured high gloss kitchen and it is absolutely great. All marks wipe off a cloth dampened with some warm slightly soapy water. I just buff up with a micro fibre cloth. I am not the best housewife so if I find it easy to maintain it is.