Give the addresses of up to 5 similar properties in a lower Council Tax band than yours. They must be the same as your property in: age style and design size - the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) will also consider properties that are larger thanyours type - for example, they must be semi-detached houses if you live in a semi-detached house
They must also be either: in the same street or estate - if you live in a town or city in the same village - if you live in the countryside
I had a colleague - really, it's not me - who thought his house was in too high a band but wouldn't challenge as he believed it would affect the value of his house
We did , years ago when it was introduced. We won. There is a timeframe for challenging though.
Ditto..I was happy fight Council, they wanted it to go to an appeal case in court, 24 hrs before I was due to attend, they withdrew we got the correct banding.
Yes I successfully challenged the council tax banding of my house. The local authority had banded my house as a D band because it's surrounded by 4 bed detached properties even though, on the next road, the identical 3 bedroom house as mine were 3 bedroom semis in a C band. No previous owners had ever challenged it but, when my challenge was upheld, every previous owner of my house got a refund of their council tax going back to the 1990s! Bet I was popular at the Town Hall!
Many years ago, 1999. The property ( a flat on 3 floors ) had been empty for 7 years and the previous 10 belonged to sketchleys the dry cleaners. There was no other property in the area to rate it against. We won on appeal.