Bokashi Is a brilliant way to use any waste food. It’s basically pickled by using the bokashi bran. There is a tap at the bottom of the bin to drain of liquid which once watered down can be used a plant food. Once the bin is full leave to pickle for two week and then put in your compost bin, the worms love it. Initial outlay can by expensive but it is a win win for any food waste.
Gransnet forums
House and home
how do you dispose of semi-fluid food waste?
(114 Posts)I. mean things like stew, mince, even some soups. Which contain some sold pieces of meat and veg.
I don't like to waste food but after reheating leftovers once or twice I don't trust it's safe to eat.
Personally I put it down the toilet - any other solutions?
I asked this question a few years ago and some Grans were horrified, I never worked out why. Except it could block the toilet.
Down the loo!
My family say I have the best fed Herring Gulls ever. They have nested on our roof & some of the neighbours for many years now! Anything that is left over from cats food & the small amount of my food leftovers goes out for them! Cleared in seconds, no rats as they will not take on a Gull! Seen one try & die painfully some years ago. Any liquid goes in the landfill bag soaked up by the newspaper taken out of my tortoises enclosure every night, they are mucky but I love them! So nothing to put down the sink or the loo! Guess everyone has their own ways of dealing with mucky leftovers!
Ahh, silly me, I’ve written 2 messages and not seen them, now I know why! I had missed the words under the message box:
‘Ctrl-Enter’
Silly me!
Ctrl-Enter
I wouldn't dream of putting it down the toilet, I usually have a fair bit of used kitchen roll in my bin so if we ever (and its rare!) have any leftovers like that I just put it in my usual kitchen waste bin that's for stuff that can't be recycled (no pets here
) I have never had a leaky bin bag, even though I buy the cheapest ones I can find! That goes into our black bin, we have a green bin for recycling, glass, paper, card, plastic, metal cans. There is no food waste bin collection where I live. Shame, because as a child I remember the 'pig waste bin' we had to put out, it was like a small milk churn.
Daftbag1
Down the loo!
That's interesting, my husband has a wormery, but we don't put cooked food waste in there, they have mainly fruit peels, and a bit of vegetable peelings, they particularly like banana skins, my husband says they fill up with their babies, like little nurseries ... the worm 'juice' he drains off for plant food.
Strain out any lumpy bits and flush the rest. The ones I hate are things in oil, like olives. I usually stuff a sheet of kitchen roll in the pot to soak up the oil and put it in a food bag and sealed. then in the kitchen bin.
I have a strainer in the plughole of the kitchen sink, so I just rinse the container of semi-fluid food waste under the hot tap into the sink, then empty the strainer into the food caddy. No difference really from washing up dirty pans. I wipe frying pans etc with kitchen towel to soak up any oil or fat before washing and put that in the food caddy too.
Waste disposal unit gets what a) doesn't go to the dogs b) doesn't feed the birds c) doesn't go on the compost heap on the allotment.
I strain the liquid down the kitchen sink and put the solids in the food waste bin
The worst offenders for blocking the drains are oil, grease and fat followed by wet wipes, cotton buds, and sanitary wear.
I clean out the drains once a month - used to use a commercial cleaner but now use a concoction of baking soda and white vinegar which is much kinder to the drains (google it). Then I run the hot water for a few minutes.
My crazy neighbour has several times accused me of blocking the drains and has sent plumbers around to my house without warning. I dont open the door to her or them because she is batshit.
She belongs to a group who use lots of oil and fat in their cooking and I find it impossible to believe that she is carefully collecting the liquid fat into containers and binning it. I dont even own a chip pan and mostly just use the micro wave.
A few weeks ago 5 men from the utility company arrived. They jetted out her drains and removed 5 bucket loads of gunk. They also did a camera survey of the drain which serves the entire street. I am sure that if they had found a major problem on my property (eg tree roots) they would have contacted me to deal with it.
Years ago we lived on a hillside between 2 roads, one of the neighbours in the road above would put nappies down the toilet. Consequently the drains would block and we would have raw sewage running down the steps to our house.
I was going to add so-called 'disposable' nappies to your list, biglouis.
If a rat can get through the gap a mouse will have no trouble at all - cruel ?
My council would not allow us to do that MawtheMerrier, we can’t put food in the garden waste bin because it’s shredded and used as compost so no meat is allowed.
I put food in a sieve and run water on it to get the liquid out, then put it in the food waste bin. We aren’t allowed to put any food waste in the general waste bin either, it’s all very strict on recycling here.
I don't think anyone is referring to the garden waste bin, that is for garden water only. Food as said above goes in your food caddie once it is drained. As for the toilet argh, simply revolting in my view. Grease and fat in the drains is not good.
garden waste only
The dog, cat and birds, between them, dispose of everything that's too much for the wormeries in the garden. There's a large dish on the flat roof for 'bird food' that I don't want the dog to reach.
I'm not keen on putting stuff down the drain or toilet, though - really don't want to feed the sewer rats!
When I moved into this house 14 years ago it had an food waste grinder in the kitchen sink, I was horrified, scared stiff of it, so my husband fitted a remote pressure switch I have since replaced when it gave up and can honestly say I wouldn’t be with out it
Wanted to add, very little actually goes down it, with dog/chickens etc, but for those last things it’s wonderful
If it can be saved or frozen it goes through a sieve and then into my food composting caddy. The council collect it weekly with the rest of the recycling
Waste disposal unit then into septic tank. We live in the country, no food waste collection - rats and other animals getting into the container and the smell in hot weather……ugh
No garden waste collection either, obviously we all have gardens big enough for a compost heap and a shredder/chipper…..
If you have foxes frequenting your property put the remains outside for them in a dog bowl, we have a female who has MH/ disabilities, cannot climb, and look after her by providing food andsomewhere dry for her to sleep when it is very bad weather, the foxes that tried to look after her have gone off to the common and come back from time to time, they will dig up the garden looking for worms (not mindlessly digging for no reason),We have been commended by the RSPCA for our thoughtfulness. All is calm in our garden (although she sleeps most days in the sunshine). We have footage of neighbors who have a dog but is also nasty to the fox by hitting her with a stick, whilst l respect him protecting whatever,the dog, his property there is no place for hitting an animal who is not quite the ticket.
Put it down the waste disposal in the sink. This grinds up everything and washes it away! All my peelings go in the compost heap but never cooked food as it attracts rats apparently.
I always flush it down the toilet too. I can’t see the problem with that. After all, other things more solid than urine get flushed down there! I flush things like leftover soup and baked beans down the toilet.
The problem with flushing food down the toilet is that it hasn’t passed through the human digestive system. That’s why it contributes to fatbergs.
A body absorbs the nutrients it needs when food is being broken down, including fats and everything else is expelled as human waste.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »
