Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you have a water meter?

(44 Posts)
tanith Tue 28-Jun-22 09:57:08

18 mths ago Affinity installed water meters in my area with promise of ‘comparison’ bills within 6 mths. We are still on unmetered tariffs till they switch us over to fully metered later this year. We’ve never received our ‘comparison bills.
So any of you who are on water meters did you find your bills went up or down once on the meter? I live alone and only shower no baths so I’m hoping my water bill will be less on the meter.

Pudding123 Mon 18-Jul-22 16:05:38

There are 2 of us and we have a water meter and try to be careful of our usage but it is £31 a month ,I wonder if the charges differ much in different parts of the country..I am in Manchester

biglouis Mon 18-Jul-22 15:57:20

I had a water meter installed as soon as I moved into this house even though I was renting it at the time (later bought it). Paying so called water rates as a single childfree person is just one more way of subsidising families.

NotAGran55 Mon 18-Jul-22 15:49:34

We had a meter installed last September and our payments have reduced from £96 per month to approximately £35.
Thames Water.

AreWeThereYet Mon 18-Jul-22 15:26:13

Well, if you’re paying for how much you use, it might encourage a bit more moderation.

Not round here. All the new houses near me were built with water meters nearly 30 years ago. The mindset round here is 'We pay for it so why shouldn't we use it?' Despite letters warning of drought (we've had hardly any rain for about 8 months) many of our neighbours are gaily filling paddling pools every day, washing their cars and watering their gardens. If/when a drought hits us they'll all be up in arms expecting the water company to some how produce water out of thin air.

welbeck Mon 18-Jul-22 15:08:21

mine has gone down from £700 to less than half that.

crazyH Mon 18-Jul-22 15:02:57

Water meter is definitely less than Water Rates. I used to pay nearly £50 pm on the rates system. Now it’s about £19 pm

Calendargirl Mon 18-Jul-22 15:02:21

Chatting to an acquaintance at swimming, and talking about water usage. She said she couldn’t have a meter as they have shared water access with a neighbour, ?‍♀️ and her bills are high for just herself and DH.

I said I was sure if you couldn’t have a meter for whatever reason, your water company could estimate if you would be better off if you could have had one. She made enquiries, upshot is she is now saving about £20 a month.

She was so pleased she made that phone call.

fiorentina51 Mon 18-Jul-22 14:52:38

Hopefully I'm having one installed next week. It was this thread that got me thinking about it. Used the online calculator and discovered I could be saving myself around £300per annum. So, thank you very much!

karmalady Mon 18-Jul-22 14:45:45

water meter. Wessex water in somerset, 2nd most expensive water. Single and I pay approx £225 a year

Garden is almost established so I have used less water this year and wondering if it will make any difference to my next bill

Happysexagenarian Mon 18-Jul-22 14:35:06

Our house had a water meter when we moved here. I wasn't keen on it. But I was very pleasantly surprised, it works out a lot cheaper for us.

SporeRB Wed 29-Jun-22 09:57:17

We have a water meter. When it was installed, our water rates with Severn Trent Water went down from £90 to £20 per month for a 4 bed semi.

cornergran Wed 29-Jun-22 09:44:55

Same here anno. A meter saved us money with two of us in a 4 bedroomed house. Moving into a two bed we weren’t sure, consulted the water authority who talked us through a questionnaire and said best not to have a meter. As this is an expensive area for water we took their advice. Not having a meter doesn’t mean we waste water, we’re careful with use.

annodomini Wed 29-Jun-22 09:09:13

I had one when I lived in a 4-bed house and it was worthwhile, but when I downsized to a 2-bed terrace house, the water company told me it wasn't worthwhile.

Riverwalk Wed 29-Jun-22 08:22:53

Seventeen years ago when I moved here the water rates were over £500 pa, goodness knows what they would be now. With a water meter I pay less than half that, last year it was £220, direct debit £18 per month.

biglouis Tue 28-Jun-22 23:24:10

I have a water meter and as a single household I appreciate the benefit of only paying for what I use.

At least I am not subsidising families as I am via council tax.

Pittcity Tue 28-Jun-22 19:15:41

We have smart water meters here and so we can check our usage via a phone app. Here in the dryest part of the country we pay more for water but it is still cheaper than before we had a meter.

BTW a dishwasher uses less water than washing up by hand.

Whiff Tue 28-Jun-22 19:03:25

I have a water meter and love it. I pay half what I did where I used to live. Had no choice in the Midlands had to pay the same as everyone else. But here only pay for what I use. I save water I wash veg in for the garden as I hate wasting water.

Calendargirl Tue 28-Jun-22 18:34:42

imagine how much water we used with three teenage girls in the house

That’s the whole point though. Everyone needs to be aware of how much water we use. Often hear parents say, quite proudly, “Oh, my daughter/son spends about half an hour in the shower!”

Well, if you’re paying for how much you use, it might encourage a bit more moderation.

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jun-22 16:17:06

We have a water meter. Our apartment is in a new development so all of us have them.

lemsip Tue 28-Jun-22 16:16:01

yes I have a meter. i live alone so am better off with a meter

Franbern Tue 28-Jun-22 16:14:43

Back in 2003 I was in the process of moving, just a mile away from a large semi, Edwardian five bedroomed house, to a terraced 3-bed 1930's house. The one I was moving from had been my family house, but several years earlier I had a water meter installed.

I was horrified to see that the water rates at the house I was moving into (about half the size of the one I was moving out of), was more than double what I was paying in the house I was leaving.

The vey first thing I did once moved, was to apply for a water meter.

In my current flat in a block of 25 with around 38 people living here, we include all water costs in with the service charge.

It does surprise me that the South West of England has such high water charges (as opposed to London), when there is so much water everywhere here.

Ilovecheese Tue 28-Jun-22 15:01:21

I don't have a water meter and I don't want one, even though I would probably pay less than I do now. Water was such a bargain when my children were growing up. imagine how much water we used with three teenage girls in the house.
I figure now it is my turn to pay a bit more so that other parents with children can pay less.

But then I live in Manchester, and believe me, we have plenty enough water!

MeowWow Tue 28-Jun-22 13:10:24

I have a water meter and at the moment I’m paying £12 per month. The meter is read twice a year and afterwards the amount I pay is adjusted. I believe all houses should have a water meter. I know a few people who don’t have them and it’s disgusting how much water I’ve seen them waste. It makes sense to pay for what you use. Maybe then, people wouldn’t waste water.

Sparklefizz Tue 28-Jun-22 12:59:05

I have a water meter and my bill is much lower than before. I live alone, have showers instead of baths, but I do water the garden. I pay £18 a month.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 28-Jun-22 12:26:00

Agree with everyone here, Tanith - you will definitely save money, and it will make you mindful if how you use water, which is eco - friendly too. If you water a garden, invest in a water butt, pronto!