Gransnet forums

House and home

Would you enclose this?

(56 Posts)
Flaxseed Sun 03-Jul-22 19:57:03

*Photo taken from Pinterest so as not to ‘out’ myself*

So, finally after a stressful sale of my house last year, temporary stay with DP whilst he sells his, we have exchanged contracts on our first house together.
We move the end of the month which cannot come soon enough!
We will have a wood burner very similar to the one in the photo. Floor to ceiling (one storey property)
We have toyed with the idea of enclosing it with a brick surround to create a fireplace with shelving either side but what do you think?
I am constantly looking at ideas for leaving as it is, and enclosing it and am so indecisive!
DP is easy, but is leaning more towards enclosing it.
What would you do?

Dianehillbilly1957 Tue 05-Jul-22 12:49:17

Definitely keep exposed, wood burners are designed to give you as much heat as possible, enclosing them limits this a fair bit. With the cost of heating now days you need everything you can get! Also try using an Ecofan, they sit on top at the back of the stove and fan the heat out, also great way to see if you're needing more wood as the fan slows as it cools...

Madashell Tue 05-Jul-22 13:02:48

Leave it as is, go to Ikea for some “Billies”, in summer surround the burner with house plants.

I miss my log burner…

Happysexagenarian Tue 05-Jul-22 13:06:49

Leave it open. The exposed flue will generate extra heat in the room. Floating shelves at staggered heights on either side could look quite nice while keeping a spacious feel.

Good luck with your move.

Elegran Tue 05-Jul-22 13:07:03

If you do enclose it, you need to be very careful with safety issues. Monica's woodburner which heats the bricks enclosing it so that enough heat goes out to heat a four-bedroom house shows just how hot the surroundings get.

We knew someone who had, not a woodburning stove, but a big open fireplace with a centuries-old wooden beam as a mantlepiece, in a very old house - It was beautiful, and they used it a lot. One night they went to bed leaving the fire very low and, they thought, safe. One of them was up during the night and when passing the fireplace in a darkened room, realised that the mantlepiece beam was glowing red. It turned out to be almost hollow from the back and would have eventually burned through and collapsed. It could have been a tragedy.

OpenUniversity2017 Tue 05-Jul-22 13:09:35

Would I enclose it ?
No.

pinkjj27 Tue 05-Jul-22 14:03:47

Leave it opened bricked in is very 1970s and dated IMHO

Pippa22 Tue 05-Jul-22 14:32:55

Much more modern look to have it open. If you wanted a fireplace why not just have a gas coal fire ?

MibsXX Tue 05-Jul-22 14:41:53

Esspee

Wood burning at home emits more particle pollution than traffic. The days of wood burning stoves is coming to an end so no point in altering the room by building it in would be my recommendation.

and untill they sort something practical and sensible as an alternative out, I for one will NOT be stopping keeping my family warm with the woodburner....it also likely will allow us to at least heat up baked beans in the winter when we can no longer afford electricity.........

coastalgran Tue 05-Jul-22 14:46:50

Leave the flu exposed and you get much more heat in the home, box it in and you lose it. You could still put nice shelves and a log storage area at the sides of the stove, nice baskets for smaller wood, pine cones or newspapers would also look good. Then you get the best of both.

M0nica Tue 05-Jul-22 15:35:13

If you do enclose it, you need to be very careful with safety issues. Monica's woodburner which heats the bricks enclosing it so that enough heat goes out to heat a four-bedroom house shows just how hot the surroundings get.

I am sorry Elegran that is completely wrong, the bricks never gets more than pleasantly warm, but the chimney is vast, nearly the width of the house, and for most of the ground floor about three -foot thick. In the bedrooms it is about 4 foot wide and 3 foot deep.

The chimney is a vast heat sink and acts is like a very efficient storage radiator. The main reason it can heat the house is because it hold the heat and radiates it 24/7, all of it internally and it position running across the house means all we need to do is leave a couple of doors open.

Our house was built in 1467 and the chimney added in the late 16th century and includes a bread oven.

Bijou Tue 05-Jul-22 16:07:53

A lot of my neighbours have wood burners but I think they are burning the wrong wood because at night there is a strong smell of wood smoke. When I had some trees lopped they were soon round to gather the wood.

M0nica Tue 05-Jul-22 16:44:40

The smell of wood smoke doesn't mean that someone is using the wrong kind of wood.

Burning the right kind of wood that reduces the emission of particulates into the atmosphere, does not mean that you do not get the smell of wood smoke. Just that the chimney will not be belching thick smoke full of particulates into the atmosphere.

4allweknow Tue 05-Jul-22 22:20:53

Leave it as it is. With the threat of wood burners being banned enclosing it maybe a waste if time and money. Use it as it is whilst you can.

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 07:30:46

I do not think woodburners are expected to be banned, but all new installations have to meet new high standards that reduce particulate emissions and wood has to be kiln dried.

Casdon Wed 06-Jul-22 09:46:26

You’re right Monica. I’ve been keeping a close watch on this, and there is definitely no plan or expectation that woodburners will be banned. Suppliers now have to comply with strict legislation about seasoning wood, and new logburners have higher emission specifications, which is as it should be both environmentally and to protect peoples lungs.

muse Wed 06-Jul-22 11:30:09

I wouldn't enclose it.

We are at the final stages of building our new home and have installed a wood burner. There are building restrictions on how close it can to the back or side walls.

Ours will be used in combination with a heat recovery unit to provide heat for the bedrooms.

The important point about seasoned wood has been mentioned but the trend for wood burners is not dying out. The companies that install them here in Cornwall, is growing as well as companies selling seasoned wood.

Ours is in an open plan area, floor to ceiling and not enclosed. Single storey.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Jul-22 11:34:52

Isn’t there a worry that people (especially small children) might burn themselves on a hot log burner? We have ours in the fireplace and also have a fire guard in front of it if the grandchildren are here.

V3ra Wed 06-Jul-22 13:16:37

MayBee70 we had a free-standing woodburner and small children in the house.
My husband adapted two of the strong commercial fireguards to construct a square guard that fitted round the hearth the woodburner sat on.
We certainly didn't want them touching it!

Purplepixie Wed 06-Jul-22 13:19:41

Leave it the way it is.

Sandybeth Wed 06-Jul-22 13:26:40

Esspee

Wood burning at home emits more particle pollution than traffic. The days of wood burning stoves is coming to an end so no point in altering the room by building it in would be my recommendation.

What if you are off mains gas, like we are? Our woodburner heats the whole house, dries the washing and boils the kettle, all with locally well seasoned wood in a very efficient British made stove. We do not have any other heating.

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 14:22:11

MayBee70 children can burn themselves on a hot radiator, a hot kettle and saucepans on stoves. A far greater risk of that happenng than burning themselves on a wood burner.

Like everyone I know, we simply had a fire guard round it when it was in use and children are present. They are readily available in a wide variety of sizes shapes and heaviness.

We also took our grandchildren close to the stove when in use and took their hands quite close to it. They commennted how hot it was and we explained that that was why they were not to go near it or touch it. Even a very young child can understand that, belt and braces always.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Jul-22 16:04:59

M0nica

MayBee70 children can burn themselves on a hot radiator, a hot kettle and saucepans on stoves. A far greater risk of that happenng than burning themselves on a wood burner.

Like everyone I know, we simply had a fire guard round it when it was in use and children are present. They are readily available in a wide variety of sizes shapes and heaviness.

We also took our grandchildren close to the stove when in use and took their hands quite close to it. They commennted how hot it was and we explained that that was why they were not to go near it or touch it. Even a very young child can understand that, belt and braces always.

Kettles on stoves and pans on cookers should be out of the reach of small children. Log burners are at face and hand level in a room where most people congregate when it’s on. Ours gets incredibly hot but I don’t know about others. I’ve seen some log burners that people boil kettles on but I’m not sure if they’re all the same. I only have experience of mine which I keep a fire guard around when the children are here.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Jul-22 16:05:22

Children can trip.

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 16:18:44

Have a good sized and sturdy fireguard and trips are not a problem, it fends them off. Where our wood burner is the children ran parallel to it, not towrads it, so falls did not take them towaards the fire.

Kettles on stoves and ans on cookers should be out of reach of small children but a lot aren't. The same applies to stoves. ours is set well back from the room in a deep open fireplace, and the shape and size of the room and site of the chimney, mean, as I said that, if children run they do not run towards the stove, only alongside it.

I can assure you I am just as concerned about the safety of my DGC as any other grandmother and my children equally concerned for their children. If anybody at any point thought the arrangement was unsafe, we would have made it safe The DGS are now in their teens and I cannot think of a single occasion when there was an accident, near accident or near miss, involving the stove. They were well supervised.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Jul-22 23:33:07

M0nica

Have a good sized and sturdy fireguard and trips are not a problem, it fends them off. Where our wood burner is the children ran parallel to it, not towrads it, so falls did not take them towaards the fire.

Kettles on stoves and ans on cookers should be out of reach of small children but a lot aren't. The same applies to stoves. ours is set well back from the room in a deep open fireplace, and the shape and size of the room and site of the chimney, mean, as I said that, if children run they do not run towards the stove, only alongside it.

I can assure you I am just as concerned about the safety of my DGC as any other grandmother and my children equally concerned for their children. If anybody at any point thought the arrangement was unsafe, we would have made it safe The DGS are now in their teens and I cannot think of a single occasion when there was an accident, near accident or near miss, involving the stove. They were well supervised.

But I was referring to the one in the OP that wasn’t in a recess. Or at least I don’t think it is.