Gransnet forums

House and home

What would attract you to a house

(200 Posts)
Vintagejazz Tue 05-Jul-22 20:48:15

Currently selling the family home.

Just wondering what would attract you to, and turn you off buying a house from an interior presentation point of view?

mokryna Mon 11-Jul-22 15:48:57

What annoys me most is the size of the third or fourth bedroom when it’s so small it’s a squeeze to fit a single bed, if that.
Most people are horrified to find that my flat overlooks a railway line. It’s a definite no-no for them, even though it doesn’t run during the night but for me living in a town near Paris, it’s a guarantee that no entrepreneur can build in front of my view.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 11-Jul-22 15:22:03

I sold my dark little cottage (which I loved by the way as it was very quirky!) in January, because I needed to be near my daughter who couldn't drive at that pint, having had 3 major surgeries in 2020/2021. It was small and had a courtyard garden and a thatched roof, and surprisingly a lot of storage that I actually created when I did my alterations to it. What sold the house to me was not the galley kitchen in dark oak with no windows or extraction, not the green hotel carpet in the lounge, nor the beautiful inglenook fireplace lined in patio slabs, but the extension at the back which was large and had virtually nothing in it but a sink, washing machine and a breakfast bar! I opened the door to that room and just saw a gorgeous large rustic kitchen, which it got! I designed it so that everything was built in or behind a door - all the appliances and boiler etc .... a fantastic larder cupboard and integrated fridge freezer which made it look as though it was a very large larder. It was l-shaped and at the other end which had a stable door to the garden I had a big dresser and my dining table, and the big chair in which I sleep, It was handy still having the original kitchen too whilst that was being hand built! Then, I ripped out that kitchen and to cover up where the walls had been tiled etc, I had the whole of one side made into bookshelves and the other side had 2 big cupboards for coats, vacuum, printer, airing cupboard etc - very handy as they both had sockets in them for the printer/router/charging the vacuum etc!

Anyway, having sold that, I had to find somewhere cheaper to buy with the equity I had - there were literally 2 houses on the market I could vaguely afford! I really needed a bungalow, but the only one which could have been even vaguely affordable was rather weird! It had a front door which had been enclosed in a kind of patio door affair, was about big enough to hang a coat in if the sides hadn't been glass, but they were! Maybe could have left your muddy boots in it, just .... I went in via the kitchen, which was tiny! You could just about turn round in it to wash pots and stir the dinner at the same time. Then went into a hallway with a boiler cupboard and into the living area which had been done beautifully, nice fireplace and floor, the down a very dark hallway with rooms off to each side. Bed 2 was just about a double and would have been ok for a guest room etc. Bed 1 however wasn't a great deal bigger, had a large skylight in the roof and the curtains were closed, I assumed because of the sun. You then went around a corner to find an extension dining room and what they called a garden room. On the surface they looked ok, but when I looked closer, the extension had been literally built on to the back, The walls weren't done - they were the original outside walls and they'd covered them up with cream hardboard. When I looked at the doors, they didn't seem to have been properly joined to the walls either, and in the garden room was a closed set of curtains on the inside, which was where they'd done the extension and not removed the original bedroom window, hence the closed curtains in Bed 1! More hardboard up against the walls followed! Asked the EA if they had any Building Regs paperwork - apparently not! Then walking back through the house into the kitchen, I looked around and couldn't see a washing machine or a fridge! Who builds a kitchen without space for those items?? Couldn't extend the kitchen unless you went in front of the garage or into bedroom 2 either .... Turns out the washer was in the garage and the fridge, wait for it was in the boiler cupboard - they'd knocked out the wall behind the kitchen door into the hallway boiler cupboard and stuck it there - so you couldn't get to any boiler controls without removing the fridge, and to cover up the mess from where they'd taken the wall down, they'd hung a curtain! Just how it went for over £305k is beyond me, or someone was desperate - considering where I live in Marlborough is retirement heaven, with every development space filled with supported living 'apartments' going for over half a million £, there are no bungalows!

I can see through gaudy walls and clutter and see what I can do quite easily, but there, there was no potential whatsoever and putting it right would have cost too much money .....

Out of the 2 houses remaining, one was very small but nicely done, had a big plot so an extension was possible, but there was no downstairs loo and the kitchen was open plan into the living room, so would have had to have a commode down there somewhere! The other, was much bigger, huge garden for the dogs, a downstairs toilet and space for a downstairs bathroom to be created - just need the money to do it now, and the Council isn't being too helpful so far, but in this heat I need a bath, not a strip wash in the kitchen with my grandchildren running through!

Grammaretto Mon 11-Jul-22 07:55:01

Joseanne grin

Joseanne Sun 10-Jul-22 21:46:08

Friends of ours wanted to sell their house in France so left it in the hands of an agent while they returned to the UK. The agent moved his mistress in in their absence!

karmalady Sun 10-Jul-22 21:44:01

I almost forgot, the epc is very important, mine here is B and below D would have been a no no

Grammaretto Sun 10-Jul-22 20:27:08

Friends of ours got their house ready to sell, all tidy, dusted and fresh but had a holiday booked so they left the estate agent to show people round. They found the house had sold in their absence!
How jammy was that.

Lulu16 Sun 10-Jul-22 15:09:01

I think house buying is a real gut reaction, you just know when it is the right property. I always think - could this be my home?
Could I live here? For me, light is always important and the garden, near to amenities also.

Treetops05 Sun 10-Jul-22 13:39:41

Too many assorted colours on walls and carpets...we once viewed a large house and every room had bright patterned carpets...each different. Hall one pattern, half the staircase in another etc.

Unmade beds and poor housekeeping turn me off, and muddles. We are naturally untidy and if there are muddles I think, we'll with my family it will be twice as bad. Finally internally, tiny kitchens. My husbandis a retired chef and needs room.

Externally I want a large, well careful garden with no endemic weeds visible

Shandy57 Sun 10-Jul-22 11:40:00

Very interesting as I'll be renovating my bungalow soon.

I really didn't expect the floors to be chipboard, but understand a lot of modern houses are built with this now. So funny I had secretly hoped for parquet!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 10-Jul-22 11:27:25

Lovely kitchen, modern bathroom including walk in shower. Wooden or other hard flooring would be great. Location with nearby bus stops and access to doctors/ dentist.

Tanjamaltija Sun 10-Jul-22 10:41:43

Big Kitchen. Lots of plants. Garden (even a small one). Airy feel (no damask or satin curtains). No smell of disinfectant.

Calendargirl Sun 10-Jul-22 10:32:57

Another thing that would put me off a house is to hear barking dogs next door.

???????

H1954 Sun 10-Jul-22 10:31:46

H1954

www.food.com/recipe/refreshing-lemon-barley-water-482342
There you go

Ooops Wrong thread ??

H1954 Sun 10-Jul-22 10:30:57

www.food.com/recipe/refreshing-lemon-barley-water-482342
There you go

Joy241 Sun 10-Jul-22 09:56:30

It looks as though I would never sell if I wanted to! I do not have a bath, main bathroom having been converted to accommodate late disabled husband. I have two cats, both very well house-trained though. and a shared drive but loads of parking space on both sides. There is no 'kerb appeal' as the two houses are off the road so not visible from the kerb. Saving graces are three toilets and no smokers.

Missingmoominmama Sun 10-Jul-22 09:44:18

A good sized garden, and parking are a must. Inside, I’d want it to be light.

I’m put off by houses without character, so those that don’t look like a family home which has been enjoyed often leave me a bit cold.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 09-Jul-22 21:38:54

Give the impression of space!

Helenlouise3 Sat 09-Jul-22 21:25:28

From an interior point of view -not too many photos/ornaments on the walls, as I'd like to be able to anticipate what my things would look like. A clean look as opposed to cluttered.As silly as it seems- a nice smell -fresh bread/citrus scents etc

sazz1 Sat 09-Jul-22 21:23:49

Parking, bathroom and kitchen need to be reasonable size, garden for our dogs, living room quite large or 2 living rooms. We bought this house as it had a big front garden to put caravan in. Plus an 18ft kitchen and big bathroom
Turned down lots of others as they had no bath. I love a bath so need either space to put one in or a bath already there.
Nothing else really puts me off but lots of furniture and clutter makes it difficult to judge room sizes.

Fronkydonky Sat 09-Jul-22 21:23:08

Doodledog- many years ago windows were fitted by double glazing companies, that did not have a large opening window, just a small night vent window at the top to make the job cheaper. They are totally illegal to fit these days as people cannot escape from a house fire , however lots of houses still have them. I used to dread staying at a friend’s house in Swansea because all her windows were like this 25 years ago.

kevincharley Sat 09-Jul-22 20:28:18

Posted before I'd finished!
The garden is the important part for me, it has to be south or west facing, has to have a secure fence aand has to be fairly large.

kevincharley Sat 09-Jul-22 20:23:39

I hate houses that have been freshly decorated. They're normally done in 'neutral tones' which, to me, is just boring. Yet I couldn't justify redecorating a house that doesn't need it.
I'd sooner have a tatty but clean house than an immaculate house.

GreenGran78 Sat 09-Jul-22 20:08:14

We came to view a house. There was common land opposite, and it was covered in snow. Before we even saw the house we fell in love with the view. 54 years later I still live there!

Serendipity22 Sat 09-Jul-22 19:36:42

It would have to have large windows, 1st impression dictate if I stepped over the threshold or gave it it wide birth.

smile

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jul-22 19:22:02

smile