Gransnet forums

House and home

For easier duvet cover changing, I’ve just ordered some of these.

(60 Posts)
Witzend Thu 07-Jul-22 14:07:12

Mega-clothes pegs.

I usually get dh to help me, but he’s away and after changing both a king size and a super-king by myself the other day, I thought of these - more usually seen on the beach, to stop towels blowing away.

I know there’s supposed to be an easy way but I tried it and found it just as much of a faff. Our method is to stuff the bottom corners of the duvet into the bottom cover corners - and hope they stay there while you do the top two - button up and a good shake.
But it should be easier with these - she said hopefully.

grannysyb Mon 18-Jul-22 09:25:09

Don't use duvets in summer, far too hot, linen sheet and cotton blanket!

Spice101 Mon 18-Jul-22 07:01:02

The problem could be solved with these covers. How simple is this solution?

heyduvet.com.au

They just need a bigger range of colours and I might be tempted.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 10-Jul-22 10:02:30

Baggytrazzas exactly the way I do it.

Party4 Sun 10-Jul-22 07:40:51

My lottery win treat would be fresh bedding daily with the luxury of paying someone to do the task and launder of course.
As the odds are against this happening maybe I too should
invest in some clips.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jul-22 18:51:16

I try and use two handy gadgets called grandsons, if I can.
They have big long arms and are tall enough to wave the quilt into place.

Baggytrazzas Sat 09-Jul-22 17:57:33

lol. I am 5 feet tall quite old and quite fat with a super king size duvet but have never had any problems and don't use any other devices etc. When I visit friends or family members some of them ask if I would mind changing their duvet cover as it honestly takes me less than 5 minutes to remove one and replace it. I think the key is to make sure the cover is a perfect fit for the duvet, and that if it is rectangular that you insert the duvet the correct way ie short /long edges matching . I lay the cover on the bed, right side up, and right side out, with the top at the headboard end and make sure I have the quilt the right way around. I grab tight on to the two top corners of the duvet with my left hand and put it all inside the cover heading for the top middle, still holding tight. . At the same time with my right hand I get into the top right corner of the cover. I then place the right corner of the duvet in there and leave it, whilst I then place the top left corner of the duvet into the top left corner of the cover. I then move to the foot of the cover where the buttons/studs usually are, and providing the duvet isn't twisted, simply place the two bottom corners of the duvet as far as possible into the two corresponding corners of the cover, grab these two bottom corners on the outside through all layers of duvet and cover and then shake as hard as you can to spread the duvet evenly within the cover. You shouldn't need more than 2 big shakes. Then button/stud the cover. I appreciate that not everyone has the strength to do this. If you aren't able to do big shakes then its ok either do smaller shakes or a few smoothing out actions with your hands. No full day windmills necessary ( that sounds suspiciously like an excuse to lay about on top of bed all day tbh wink ) , or pegs, clips, contortions, etc. And def no husband involved it would be complete carnage. Its taken me longer to type this than it would to change it, honestly. good luck to you all though !

suelld Sat 09-Jul-22 17:26:27

Ditto Stephanie48 , mine is also Kingsized - I do it it myself ( at 76 ) tho I don’t relish it and probably don’t change it as often as it should be changed - but at my age living alone it doesn’t get too ‘used’ ! smile

effalump Sat 09-Jul-22 15:53:45

I usually turn my duet cover inside out, then put my hands down the inside to grab the two bottom corners. I then grab two corners of the duvet and with a bit of wriggling, I get the cover to move down so that my hands are now on the outside, I then start to shake the whole thing until the cover reaches the bottom. A bit difficult to explain but it works a treat.

Witzend Sat 09-Jul-22 08:50:09

Milly12

I also use “coverless duvets” from the Fine Bedding Company. They are just a bit more expensive than ordinary duvets but you don’t need duvet covers so you save money. They are very lightweight so perfect for summer - we are currently using a 4.5 tog but they do winter ones too.
No changing covers as you just put the entire quilt in the washing machine and dry outside if possible or half an hour in the tumble dryer. Very hygienic because you are washing all of it.

Would a king, or super king size go in an ordinary washing machine, though? I mean, not just as in being able to be stuffed in, but able to be washed without the machine deciding it didn’t like it?

Goldieoldie15 Sat 09-Jul-22 01:25:27

Re changing duvet cover: 1. always start with a cover inside out 2. have your duvet laid out neatly on bed 3.grab two far end corners of cover by putting your hands inside cover, 4. with your hands inside the cover now grab corresponding ends of duvet 4. pull through cover and shake cover and duvet into place. All done but remember it’s always a bit of a fag.

Stephanie48 Fri 08-Jul-22 18:45:33

Jess20

Stephanie48 does it the Swedish way, learned that technique when I lived there.

Oh, my secret’s out now grin

elleks Fri 08-Jul-22 18:40:29

Stephanie48

I turn the (king size) duvet cover inside out, reach into it and grab the corner and the corners of the duvet and shake it the right way.

Me too!

Baggs Fri 08-Jul-22 17:58:02

Hang naked duvet over banister (or out the window like the Dutch (see upthread).

Turn duvet cover inside out (I wash them inside out so that bit's done already).

Shuffle hands to the bottom corners. This is easy. You just let the cover folds hang on your arms.

Grab the two corners nearest to you. Keeping tight hold (hands = giant clothes pegs), fling everything over the banister and shake.

Rehang covered duvet over banister while you fasten the opening end. I usually lean against it while doing this.

Even MrB, who is totally impractical, finds this easy.

Last time I changed a duver cover I tried the method where you lie the inside out cover on the bed and fold/roll it into the cover bit by bit. Easiest done with another person so you don't have to keep changing sides of the bed (but think of your step count!), but I found it undifficult.

Don't know what all the fuss is about ?

avitorl Fri 08-Jul-22 17:05:57

I use a top sheet then put the Duvet on top of that,without cover,and then lay the Cover over the Duvet rather than in it.

Pantglas2 Fri 08-Jul-22 16:32:18

Gosh all these methods seem overly complicated to me ?‍?

I seem to be the only person to lay out the duvet cover (king) on the bed opening the foot end buttons/poppers. I then fold the top of the quilt in half and holding it by the corners, stuff it inside all the way to the centre top before releasing one corner to the left and t’other to the right.

Back to the foot end - fold in half again, grab corners and insert into bottom of cover releasing left and right as before. then do up buttons/poppers and give a final shake ?

I’ve just timed myself doing it - one minute and five seconds (whilst bellowing at Mr PG to turn tv ? up so I can hear the ?)

Carbonated Fri 08-Jul-22 16:10:50

Sew ribbons on the inside corners of duvet covers and on corners of duvets. Tie two 'bottom' ribbons of duvet to the 'top' ribbons in cover, flip duvet cover so right side is showing then pull cover along the duvet. Tie final two ribbons, do up cover buttons and Bob's your Aunty's live in lover!

Mapleleaf Fri 08-Jul-22 15:44:12

I use some plastic pegs, too. I feed the top two corners of the duvet into the cover and clip those corners to the corresponding corners of the duvet cover, then feed the rest of the duvet into the cover, keeping the bottom corners in view, then clip those corners to the corresponding bottom corners of the cover; finally, I give the whole thing a shake. Seems to work, but it’s exhausting! ??. It’s certainly a good workout! I tried the inside out method but got myself into a proper tangle so gave up on that idea ?.

Saggi Fri 08-Jul-22 15:15:09

Nothing works if you’ve got arthritis in the shoulders and hands as I have! So I’ve gone back to sheet and blanket/s , my husband is sticking with duvet so as he’s disabled I still have to change his….but not for much longer! Wish the things had never been invented…..sheets/blankets …so much easier.

Whitbygal Fri 08-Jul-22 15:01:18

Whitbygal

Same here.

Clothes pegs, I mean.

Whitbygal Fri 08-Jul-22 14:57:10

Same here.

HazelGreen Fri 08-Jul-22 14:26:31

I was a chambermaid many years ago in Austria. We also had to do the laundry. The duvet covers were washed and ironed 'inside out' then when putting new one on, you reached in to the far corners and link up with matching corners on duvet then flip/shake the cover right side by hanging on the corners. I am a bit short and sometimes I let duvet hang over bannisters of stairs as I shake down the cover.

Mollygo Fri 08-Jul-22 13:49:00

I’ve used these for ages now.

DillytheGardener Fri 08-Jul-22 13:38:38

I put my duvet cover inside out, put the match the corners from the cover to the duvet then shake the cover back to the right way.
My back is completely out atm, so I can only rustle DH to do this chore twice monthly rather than my normal weekly change of bedding.

LadyGracie Fri 08-Jul-22 13:36:13

I have some, they're in the back of a drawer somewhere.

Jess20 Fri 08-Jul-22 13:26:05

Stephanie48 does it the Swedish way, learned that technique when I lived there.