Gransnet forums

House and home

Housework/Cleaner

(42 Posts)
Deni1 Wed 20-Jul-22 13:32:53

I am thinking of getting a cleaner for the downstairs as I just havent got the energy....
I've got the time but no inclination, I ache after little effort, I used to go through the house quickly moving furniture etc but now at 70 I can't even go through my thoughts quickly lol, I don't know how I would feel watching someone else clean for me without offering to help, or should I develop a limp to justify my 'laziness'

M0nica Mon 25-Jul-22 16:21:53

I do my own cleaning and gardening because I can do it more quickly and effiiciently than any hired help, but the moment I cannot do it, in will come the hired help.

We already do it with our French house, where for the last 10 years we have paid someone to cut the grass. I did it for 20 years, but as we only visit every five or six weeks and the grass grew so long, i reached a point where cutting the grass hung over my head like a cloud before every visit and until it was done because it had become so exhausting.

biglouis Mon 25-Jul-22 15:39:14

I have a cleaner 4 hours a week and I do almost nothing in the house because I loath housework. I just cant be bothered with it and see no value in it. You clean something and it needs doing again a few weeks later. I even get the cleaner to unpack and put away my Tesco shopping.

I have a policy that if something does not bring me money or enjoyment I avoid it if at all possible.

Dull women keep immaculate homes.

ExDancer Mon 25-Jul-22 14:40:43

Yes Monica you're right, but knowing this doesn't stop us feeling uncomfortable when someone is doing the chores, that we feel are our chores, for us.
I don't think there's a way past it apart from hoping time will make it feel more normal.

M0nica Mon 25-Jul-22 11:43:07

But most people's worries seem to be around accepting they need help or being uncomfortable around having cleaners in the house working while they do not.

Callistemon21 Mon 25-Jul-22 10:52:14

M0nica

I think making a martyr of yourself, if you can afford to pay for the help, is pointless.

It is but finding help is not easy.

M0nica Mon 25-Jul-22 10:15:47

I think making a martyr of yourself, if you can afford to pay for the help, is pointless.

Jane43 Mon 25-Jul-22 08:55:08

I’m 79 in September and also thinking of having a cleaner to do the heavy jobs like the kitchen, downstairs cloakroom, bathroom and en suite. I have back problems due to a bad bout of sciatica in March and also I now have osteoporosis. This year is the only year I haven’t done Spring cleaning and Although my back pain is much better I know that cleaning out cupboards etc will make it worse. DH, also 79, is also finding keeping the garden up is challenging but won’t contemplate getting a gardener.

Visgir1 Mon 25-Jul-22 08:40:05

Had one for over 30 years (obviously not the same one) my lovely lady, has been with me over 20 years.
She's in weekly about 2.30 hrs.

Couldn't be without her, total treasure.
She also Cleaned for my Late Mum, going in twice a week hour at a time, more social than cleaning as such with her.
And my sister.. Once a week.

Both my Children have cleaners
My one looks after my DD as well.
DS not in the area but I know she would look after him too.
If you find a Star hang onto them, you won't regret it. Ours is a gem.

M0nica Mon 25-Jul-22 08:25:40

What is the difference between employing a gardener or cleaner and employing a painter and decorator, plumber or electrician?

When we employed a gardener, for a while, when we had a project that had become beyond me, I treated him like any other workman. let him get on with the job and offered him tea/coffee at regular intervals. I would do that with a cleaner as well.

They do not want you harrassing them round the edges and getting in their way, so do not do it. Go and sit somewhere out of their way and leave them to it. Do not waste their time in idle chatter and say thank you as they leave. Remember you are PAYING them, they are not doing it for free, Would you feel 'lazy' if paying someone to paint the outside of the house or bedroom?

ExDancer Fri 22-Jul-22 15:49:23

I understand your worry about feeling lazy watching someone else dash around doing the chores you used to do yourself. I feel the same about my gardener.
At 83 I feel quite entitled (don't like that word but can't think of another) to employ someone, but giving orders doesn't come naturally to some people.
I spend the whole time he's here hovering around not knowing what to do or say, and feeling very uncomfortable. I don't know whether to 'help' in case it looks like interfering, or stay away which looks like indifference.
Its so embarrassing I feel tempted to stop employing him, I dread him coming (but my garden looks nice)
So I know just what you mean.
I wish I knew the answer.

seylen Fri 22-Jul-22 15:29:00

I used to work part-time as a cleaner. 90% of the clients offered to help or did a little cleaning too. That's really nice. I think if you book a cleaning job, you better take that time for yourself. You're not lazy if you don't want to clean, not everyone likes to do cleaning. Cleaning companies exist to free you from the worries of home :-)

Judy54 Thu 21-Jul-22 14:35:43

Go for it Denil Yes Callistemon21 cleaners in my area are like gold dust. Have been trying to find someone for ages without any luck. They seem to be a bit like the hospitality trade since lockdown who struggle to get staff. I have asked around as it is so much better to have a personal recommendation but the cleaners who are out there just don't have the capacity to take anymore jobs at the moment.

hollysteers Thu 21-Jul-22 11:54:50

I follow the advice of eminent author Somerset Maugham (though not quite so eminent myself…) if I can pay someone to do a job, I’ll pay them.
What a blessing a cleaner is when getting older, recovering from surgeries, ill health etc, although I had one before all this happened to me.
Choose someone young, recommended and after staying around the first few times, go out and do some necessary stuff and leave them to it.

Granmarderby10 Thu 21-Jul-22 11:14:22

To anyone wanting a home cleaner Having cleaned and ironed in many different household settings - a long time ago now, but do please ensure sure that your vacuum cleaner is up to the tasks you are expecting to be undertaken in the time allotted.
Time wasted faffing about with tools that are variously broken /lost/don’t fit, or difficult and dirty to handle dust bags or canisters will not endear you to your prospective cleaner.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Jul-22 10:53:57

Yes, go for it.
With me being a bit incapacitated at the moment and DH no longer a spring chicken, it's taken us days to do just the minimum of housework because we couldn't find a cleaner.
Having someone to clean the windows inside would be wonderful. However, I did have the oven cleaned professionally the other day (daren't use it now).

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Jul-22 10:49:47

We've tried to find a cleaner but they're like gold dust round here!

travelsafar Thu 21-Jul-22 10:40:51

I too have a cleaner, she comes once a fortnight and vaccums upstairs as i cant carry hoover up the stairs safely. She also changes my bedding on the day she calls. If any time left she hoovers through downstairs and handbrushes the stairs. She is my 'little treasure'. We always have a coffee when she gets here and usually end up having some lunch together. Most times she comes she brings me a bunch of flowers. We are friends and have known each other for many years. Dont know what i'd do without her. After my operation next week she will come once a week as i doubt i will be up to cleaning anything!!!!

kittylester Thu 21-Jul-22 10:26:33

We have had a cleaner since no 2 son was born. Our first few cleaners came twice a week but now we have 1for 2 hours a week. She does upstairs one week and downstairs the next.

We are lucky that we can afford it but there are lots more things we would prefer to do so we are happy to provide employment for someone else.

We tidy up before she comes so she has a clear run and it is a good way of making us keep the place looking presentable.

Yammy Thu 21-Jul-22 10:13:11

Just go for it. I had a cleaner when I worked but gave up when I retired. I soon realised that by myself alone I no longer had the energy or the inclination to clean to the standard I was doing.
DH has had to step in since retirement with some of the heavier jobs I cannot do because of health issues. We have agreed when it is no longer possible for either of us we will get a cleaner, by recommendation or I always used a recommended agency then they can do any negotiations for you, and have a month's trial.
You do not have to feel you have to go out, choose a room, maybe a spare bedroom and turn it into a second sitting room and spend your time in there whilst the cleaner is getting on.

henetha Thu 21-Jul-22 09:54:25

You are perfectly entitled to have a cleaner if you want one.
I would if I could afford it.

LtEve Thu 21-Jul-22 07:48:11

I have cleaner for 3 hours each week. I work hard and don’t want to spend my days off cleaning. She has been coming for about 5 years and is worth her weight in gold. I tend to go out when she’s here and take the opportunity to go to the library, DH retreats to the study as he works from home. She has a key so it doesn’t matter if we’re out or away.
You should never feel guilty, after all you’re providing an honest job for someone.

Teacheranne Thu 21-Jul-22 00:03:57

I now have a cleaner for two hours every fortnight. She has a key in case I am out but I tend to be in as she comes fairly early so after a quick chat about what needs doing, I sit in my bedroom while she does the lounge then move into the lounge while she carries on.

Actually I usually have two cleaners for one house, the owner of the company plus someone else which varies so they are not really here long. I pay by direct debit later that day.

She came for an initial visit to discuss what I wanted doing, all the main areas each visit but my two spare bedrooms and craft room on a rota basis, depending on which has been used or not cleaned for a while.

Floradora9 Wed 20-Jul-22 21:16:24

I had a cleaner many years ago when I had a bad back and would have to be really bad before I had one again. I just hate a stranger in my house. We went out when our cleaner came but I felt we were being put out of our home . My DDIL had a cleaner after an operation and her mother was visiting while we were there. He mum is from a middle east country and used to servants and was keen to show this poor lady how the cleaning should be done . I had to stop her interfering . I also had a quiet chuckle when the cleaning lady told her that she managed to work because the children were with their nanny . The nanny of course was grandmother not paid help .

Beautful Wed 20-Jul-22 19:28:38

Georgesgran

Good advice about insurance

Elizabeth27 Wed 20-Jul-22 16:58:55

I have had a cleaner and been a cleaner. I much prefered the homeowner being out of the way when I cleaned as they would chat and hold me up. I also liked to be told what the client wanted to be cleaned.

The first visit always takes longer, getting used to equipment and layout, don't let that put you off more will get done as time goes on.