Gransnet forums

House and home

High gloss white kitchen cabinets - cleaning

(20 Posts)
Franbern Fri 22-Jul-22 15:40:28

My new kitchen has all high gloss doors on the cupboards/drawers, etc. White on the lower ones and a very light grey on wall ones. They do just wipe over with a damp cloth. However, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for any cleaners for keeping them always looking like new.

ginny Fri 22-Jul-22 15:44:21

I use hot water and a very weak solution of washing up liquid on a sponge.
Dry with a microfibre cloth.
My kitchen is 6 years old and looking as good as new.
Be careful with some cleaners as they can ‘yellow’ the white.

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Jul-22 15:48:00

I asked this of my daughter. Here's the link she sent me:
www.designer-kitchens.co.uk/cleaning-tips-keeping-stunning-white-high-gloss-kitchens/#:~:text=Use%20an%20e%2Dcloth%20(or,cloth%20for%20more%20sticky%20spills.

Baggytrazzas Fri 22-Jul-22 18:03:34

Hi I had a glossy white kitchen for years and it was the easiest to look after - simply clean up as you go, don't scrub or over wipe, and don't use any harsh chemicals which can spoil the gloss and turn the finish yellow. One cupboard door did turn slightly yellow after a few years and we think it was because of the heat from the boiler that it covered. We had a few spare doors and so replaced it. So maybe in heat or even strong sunshine the colour might yellow over time. I had a white sink as well, and every day I wiped it clean of any grease then every night filled it up with warm water and a spoonful of biological washing powder which I then drained and rinsed each mornng. If I ever need to replace my kitchen I would definitely go back to white high gloss.

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Jul-22 18:10:53

White cupboard doors should not go yellow. Ours did after a few years and we got in touch with the installers and they replaced every cupboard as the company who made them (Dutch) had forgotten to put the filter on them. We have had no problem since.

Pantglas2 Fri 22-Jul-22 18:28:40

I chose high gloss cream for my kitchen so that any yellowing wouldn’t be a problem. I also wipe down with hot soapy water 2 or 3 times a week, usually whilst waiting for the kettle to boil of an evening!

PollyDolly Fri 22-Jul-22 18:30:40

I had my high gloss kitchen cupboards ripped out, I hated then as they looked cheap and tacky.

Franbern Fri 22-Jul-22 18:37:52

Thank you all so much. I did purchase a couple of packets of soft microfibre cloths recently, so I know I am doing the right thing. No waiting for kettles to boil for me as I had a boiling water tap installed.
PollyDolly sorry you felt like that about yours, mine are most definitely neither cheap nor tacky. Just absolutely gorgeous.]

Kate54 Fri 22-Jul-22 19:03:21

White vinegar and microfibre cloth

Kate54 Fri 22-Jul-22 19:03:54

In spray bottle I should have added

SueDonim Fri 22-Jul-22 19:12:57

NotSpaghetti

I asked this of my daughter. Here's the link she sent me:
www.designer-kitchens.co.uk/cleaning-tips-keeping-stunning-white-high-gloss-kitchens/#:~:text=Use%20an%20e%2Dcloth%20(or,cloth%20for%20more%20sticky%20spills.

My heart sunk when I read that! I’m about to move into a house with a pale grey high gloss kitchen and that sounds v high maintenance compared to the kitchen I’ve just left, which just needed a quick wipe with a damp kitchen cloth to maintain its looks.

At least my new kitchen is a lot smaller. ?

Nannagarra Fri 22-Jul-22 19:32:30

I have white gloss units and do as Kate54 does. These new kitchens will dazzle with their loveliness.

Kate54 Fri 22-Jul-22 19:38:00

And I only do the bits with finger marks! The work of seconds

Spice101 Sat 23-Jul-22 02:37:01

My kitchen with white gloss cupboards is 14 years old and still looks like new. I clean them with a damp cloth but have found they do need to be dried or else they look streaky. They are very easy to clean.

mumofmadboys Sat 23-Jul-22 02:57:22

I'm impressed how everyone cleans and polishes their kitchen units. Note to self to do better!

JackyB Sat 23-Jul-22 08:22:52

A friend of mine has high gloss fronts in her kitchen, which she proudly showed me when it was installed. I said that I had been recommended microfibre cloths and hot water for my kitchen when it was new, but mine is matte black. She said that she had been warned against this as they leave tiny scratches.

I remembered a cleaning lady we had interviewed when I was an au pair. The kitchen was also glossy and the interviewee said she would use chamois leather on those. She was perfect, but she never came back after the interview. This was of course before the invention of microfibre but often the old ways are the best.

Franbern Sat 23-Jul-22 08:34:33

SueDonim - not at all hard work or high maintenance. A wipe over of any dirty marks with damp cloth is really all that is necessary. I just wanted to know if there was anything else I should be doing, occasionally, to keep looking as new. Cannot think you have been doing anything less than this in any kitchen. I chose to have a gorgeous free-standing black fridge freezer in this kitchen - was warned against this as I was told it shows every mark. Has been no problem to me, each evening when I do final clear up in kitchen I wipe that down with a microfibre cloth and it keeps looking glorious. So, now also wiping over the cupboard doors, lower ones and upper ones on alternative evenings. Five minutes work each day - very worth while

SueDonim Sat 23-Jul-22 11:54:20

When I move I’m going to be having frequent visits from a 4yo and a 9mth old putting their disgusting hands on my glossy cupboards. Given how they’ve planted finger marks on areas of my windows I didn’t think they could reach, I’m going to have to wear my ‘outdoor’ specs indoors to keep up with the microfibre cloth. grin

LadyGracie Sat 23-Jul-22 12:54:44

I had high gloss white kitchen for years in my last house, I just used to use washing up liquid in hot water and dry off with a tea towel. They looked as good when we moved as they did the day we had them fitted,

cornergran Sat 23-Jul-22 20:39:44

As others have said. A quick wipe over with dilute washing up liquid and then dry, usually use a soft e-cloth. After 9 years no sign of a scratch other than the one I did with a knife. Oops.