Gransnet forums

House and home

Recommend tumble drier, condenser or vented?

(20 Posts)
SueDonim Mon 25-Jul-22 13:08:01

We had an old Bosch condenser drier. It was easy to empty the reservoir and always dried clothes in far less time than the suggested as it had a sensor.

It’s now doing sterling service with the family of five who have inherited it and I’ll be buying the same version as a replacement.

annodomini Mon 25-Jul-22 10:40:08

22 year old Hotpoint condenser. The reservoir is at the bottom, but I've always been able to cope with that. I try not to use it too often and summer weather has recently helped my bank balance! I'm always expecting it to have had its last tumble but so far, so good.

Georgesgran Mon 25-Jul-22 10:21:12

Had a Beko condenser - cheap to buy, but it took ages to dry anything, so a false economy. The water drawer was at the bottom and awkward to get to and empty. I was pleased it broke down and replaced it with an Indesit??. Works brilliantly, the drawer is at the top and just pulls out. I empty it frequently as it would be heavy if left to fill up and just pour the water on the nearest outdoor plant. Condenser every time for me now - no need for a venting kit or having the window open for it on awful weather days either.

Jane43 Mon 25-Jul-22 09:00:05

We have a condenser tumble dryer, it is 9 years old. It doesn’t dry very well, I sometimes have to do two cycles and I believe a heat pump type is better.

Witzend Mon 25-Jul-22 08:54:25

A BiL has 2 condenser tumble driers at his huge holiday home in France - I’ve used them a lot. Ours is an ancient vented one, outside under cover, but if I were having one indoors I’d def. go for a condenser.

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Jul-22 17:14:45

My condenser dryer was awful. Can't remember the make as it was 20 years ago but it took for ever to dry the washing... in fact things would still be damp after a very long session.

I would never have one again.... but maybe they have improved over the years.

LadyGracie Sun 24-Jul-22 16:44:35

I have an AEG sensor condenser, excellent and economical to run

sandelf Sun 24-Jul-22 15:33:48

Candy grand 8kg - simple, quiet, inexpensive! buywiseappliances.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/1264/s/candy-gcc580nc/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2_OWBhDqARIsAAUNTTHedYB-QEw9E4C-siDtSP27R_h4npGSCWW6vLWk48DK99S2n92nu2MaAlttEALw_wcB

FlexibleFriend Sun 24-Jul-22 15:17:23

I have a Zanussi sensor vented dryer currently about 8 years old and going strong.

Teacheranne Sun 24-Jul-22 14:20:25

I’ve had my second condenser one for eight years and it’s still going strong - first one was very old so I replaced it.

If you decide on a condenser type, I suggest getting one with the water collection drawer at the top of the machine as it’s much easier to empty after each use than those located at the bottom of the machine - especially as I get older!

Visgir1 Sun 24-Jul-22 13:49:29

As mine is in the garage, I have stuck to a normal Vented one.
Had a condenser one, once but didn't last more than about 4 years. So vented for me. I only ever use X1 setting works fine but not as good as my last one all these programs are wasted on me. I can also program by my phone if I want, I don't.
I believe the heat pump ones your advised not suitable for the garage.

PollyDolly Sun 24-Jul-22 13:37:00

We have a Grundig Heat Pump dryer and wold strongly recommend it. It lives in the utility room alongside the washer and freezer and I save the condensed water for cleaning mirrors and inside windows.

Franbern Sun 24-Jul-22 13:31:49

Previously, at my house, I always used a normal vented tumble dryer as there was an external wall for this in my utility room. Came to my flat two and half years ago, so purchased a heat pump condenser, with a sensor. Excellent machine, I only ever use one programme, as it stops when no more moisture in clothes. Easy drawer to take out to empty (every wash), with water (use this for watering potted plants), and very simple and easy to get at filters for cleaning.

Mine lives in my spare bedroom with a pretty embroidered cloth on the top. Mine is Beko and cannot fault it.

Mishy Sun 24-Jul-22 12:32:21

I have a Bosch condenser/heat exchanger and it took a little while to get used to it but would happily recommend it. cheaper to run than a normal drier and the water is collected in a pull out dish, filters easy to get to, clean and replace.

Janiepops Sun 24-Jul-22 12:31:15

Condenser definitely, only needs emptying once a year! Last one lasted 12 years, this one 9 years so far, still going strong.

thisisnotme Sun 24-Jul-22 12:25:26

Heat pump tumble dryer doesn’t need to drain anywhere and. doesn’t use too much electricity (allegedly). We have a Blomberg and are very pleased with it

Katek Sun 24-Jul-22 12:21:17

I have a sensor condenser which stops automatically when the load is dry. It’s also plumbed.in so all water is drained through same pipe work as washing machine. I do like the sensor as it stops machine running on for longer than necessary, makes it more environmentally and financially friendly!

HeavenLeigh Sun 24-Jul-22 11:58:38

I had a hoover condenser tumble dryer after having countless normal ones for the 40 odd years, I had put it in our garage it lasted only 4 years, so gone back to a normal one, so far and it’s now only 3 years old so proof will be in the pudding, my fav one by far was a creda one bought in 1977, they don’t make them like that these days! ?

Gillycats Sun 24-Jul-22 11:57:30

I’ve got a Zanussi condenser and I would definitely recommend it.

Cnash Sun 24-Jul-22 11:46:50

Mine has just died but very old. I am considering a condenser drier. Has anyone got any experience or recommendations? Have a 9 week old grandchild here at the moment so need a replacement quickly!