Gransnet forums

House and home

Ebac washing machines. Does anyone have experience of them?

(11 Posts)
SueDonim Sun 24-Jul-22 21:32:37

I’m looking for a new washing machine. I’ve been happy with my Bosch machine but I keep getting adverts for Ebac machines , which look quite interesting. They made in the UK and are repairable, unlike a lot of modern machines. They also claim to be very quiet.

So, does anyone have experience of them, good or bad?

Thank you!

www.ebac.com/washing-machines/range

SueDonim Mon 25-Jul-22 21:12:03

Anyone? smile

Georgesgran Mon 25-Jul-22 22:11:45

Sorry Sue, I have no information regarding those washing machines, but think they can also be attached to the hot water supply rather than just cold fill - handy if you have hot water through solar panels. I’m sure you have already looked at the prices, which are possibly mid to higher range - at least that’s my view - fine if they last longer and perform well. I do know they are made in County Durham by EBAC a company founded by John Elliott and his brothers as Elliott Brothers Air Conditioning which is what the Company is well known for.
A few years ago Mr. Elliott decided not to pass his wealth (£70M) onto his family but to give the company to a trust which overseas local projects and enterprises.

Perhaps there are some online reviews somewhere to look at?

SueDonim Mon 25-Jul-22 22:21:17

Thank you, Georgesgran. We are about to move to a house with solar panels which is part of what piqued my interest. There aren’t that many online reviews apart from on their own site, so may be ‘curated’ but I’m now in touch with someone who has had a machine for nearly a year and is happy with it. We may well take a punt!

Georgesgran Mon 25-Jul-22 22:46:22

Sounds promising Sue

Jaqdaw Mon 25-Jul-22 23:10:03

I feel compelled to answer this enquiry. My mum lives alone and for all the same reason as the original questioner decided to buy an ebac washing machine. It frequently simply refused to spin and she was told that “all modern machines won’t spin with small loads in them” and “to save up all her laundry to do in one go” this simply isn’t true or practicable, but was ebac’s way of initially fobbing her off Eventually they did refund her, although that took eleven months in total. She now has a Samsung which was half the price and can cope with small loads. The ebac quiet feature is that it delays spinning until you can deal with the noise.
Jaqdaw(previously grandmagrim)

MargotLedbetter Mon 25-Jul-22 23:25:02

We investigated EBAC because we have a solar hot water tank and we liked the idea of saving money by using a hot fill from the tank, but we saw quite a few online complaints about the brand and I think we read the Which report on them (available from the local library, IIRC)

www.which.co.uk/reviews/washing-machines/ebac-awm86d2h

That's the link but you have to either pay or know someone with access or use the library to get the full details.

We ended up buying a Siemens which has taken quite a lot of getting used to, including requiring a man to come out to explain to us why it wasn't spinning efficiently. It was our fault, apparently, because we hadn't read the paperback book (owner's manual) thoroughly when it arrived.

The new machines are designed to work as efficiently as possible and to save as much water and energy as possible, and as a result you need minimum loads and you need to load the machine in a certain way to get the best out of it. I have to say that by the time he'd finished his lecture and supervised me laying out items flat in the drum I was ready to murder him. I've been using washing machines for 40 years, why on earth did I need a lesson!? Things have, fortunately improved. Now we've narrowed down the three programs we need, and we know that one of them needs to have at least 3kg of dry clothes to spin properly, we're happy enough with it. Still want my old Bosch back, but it was 15 and its bearings were gone.

SunshineSally Tue 26-Jul-22 05:16:02

SueDonim - for reviews, have a look at www.trustpilot.com as there are loads of reviews on there.

SueDonim Tue 26-Jul-22 17:44:34

Thank you, everyone, for being so helpful! I’ll follow up the links. smile

Debz100 Wed 03-Aug-22 16:38:40

Little bit late as you may have already made your decision, but we bought an Ebac a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it!
There is a choice of hot or cold fill machines, we went for the hot fill and it works perfectly. In respect of noise it is definitely a lot quieter than our previous machine but that was an old machine! I've had no problems with the spin function on small or large loads, on the maximum 1600 spin the washing is nearly dry when it comes out.
They are the dearer end of the market, but my dear 'research before you buy' husband thought the 7 year parts and labour guarantee was worth it.
Hope this helps.

SueDonim Wed 03-Aug-22 20:59:33

Thank you, Debz! We’re still prevaricating over which machine to get. ? The 1600 spin speed does sound good. The machine where we’re living temporarily has a 1600 speed and as you say, it comes out feeling pretty dry.