Gransnet forums

House and home

Bamboo sheets

(31 Posts)
Aveline Thu 04-Aug-22 09:09:16

First night with my new bamboo duvet cover and sheet. Well what a success. They are, as promised, lovely and cool and so soft. I feel like I'm advertising them but I'm just so pleased with them.
I know it's more usual to complain but I'd like to praise for a change.

Daddima Wed 24-Jan-24 11:28:36

Daddima

Oh, please don’t! My weakness is bed linen, and I’ve just given some away. I did like what I read about them, but managed to resist the temptation.

As Juliet27 pointed out, this thread is 18 months old. My resistance to the temptation didn’t last, and I did buy some bed linen shortly afterwards! The sheets are very soft and comfortable, my only complaint being that they are not as white as my cotton duvet covers.

henetha Wed 24-Jan-24 10:49:13

And my bamboo socks and hand towels are still going strong.

toscalily Wed 24-Jan-24 10:43:14

Aveline Thank you for the update, good to know you are still pleased with your bedlinen. I have some old linen sheets that belonged to my mother it is amazing how well they last after so many washes over so many years. I have never bought any clothes made with bamboo, do they crease easily like linen does?

argymargy Wed 24-Jan-24 07:54:14

I have various bits of bamboo clothing, including socks, t-shirts and a gorgeous dress. As karmalady says, they all take about twice as long to dry as cotton. But very hard wearing and comfortable.

Aveline Wed 24-Jan-24 07:43:24

I still love my bamboo sheets. Yes they were cool in summer when I needed them to be but, equally, now when it's colder they're cosy and so amazingly soft. I'd say they take a bit longer to dry and are very heavy when wet but I'll only be buying bamboo bedlinen in future.

Juliet27 Wed 24-Jan-24 07:39:57

The thread was 18 months old

Juliet27 Wed 24-Jan-24 07:38:33

I reported this advert for bedsheets on this old thread but it’s a bit concerning that I’d recently been searching for bamboo bedsheets although hadn’t added anything to this thread. How do they know?!

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jan-24 07:34:06

I ve had bamboo socks and felt no difference
I would not want anything ‘cool’ for my bedtime sleep 🤣 the warmer the better
I never notice any difference with sheets some people say ‘Ii could only sleep on Egyptian cotton’ well I could sleep on anything I m obviously not sensitive enough
But why not if it’s good for you go for it

mudassirkhan Wed 24-Jan-24 07:13:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

NfkDumpling Fri 05-Aug-22 11:11:42

I may look out for the towels as we live in a hard water area and cotton ones come in from the line like cardboard. My grandmothers used to iron towels to soften them, but that seems a step too far!

Caleo Fri 05-Aug-22 11:09:43

Sides to the middle sheets may have had a contraceptive effect

silverlining48 Fri 05-Aug-22 11:06:20

Oh yes Aveline, my mum always did that too. Turned Collars on shirts as well . Unravelling woollen jumpers to reknit larger. ... lots of ways to re use things.
It was certainly make do and mend days but clothes and most other things were so expensive relatively in those days. There was little choice.

Aveline Thu 04-Aug-22 19:19:03

I remember my Granny's linen sheets turned sides to middle as they wore out. Very comfy apart from the big seam down the middle. They must have been very old.

silverlining48 Thu 04-Aug-22 18:12:08

I have linen sheets which must be 70 or more years old.
They are like new. No wear at all. Pity is it doesn’t fit todays beds which are much wider than the 4’ double beds in common use back then. I use one as a tablecloth.

karmalady Thu 04-Aug-22 12:36:57

bamboo takes a long long time to dry. I splashed out on pure linen, heavenly, adapts to body temperature and quick to dry

Aveline Thu 04-Aug-22 12:33:48

The bamboo sheets seem to be mixed with cotton so I suspect they'll last well. I bought them from M&S after reading about bamboo sheets online and checking out various retailers. Some dodgy companies seem to be promoting them.
I thought they were quite expensive but I've not bought bed linen for years as much old M&S ones refuse to wear out so I'm out of touch with prices. Anyway I love these sheets and my Fitbit tells me I had 8 hours and 14 minutes sleep so I'm very happy.

henetha Thu 04-Aug-22 11:47:36

P,S. I've just remembered, I bought a pack of three hand towels last year. They are lovely and soft, and wash well.

Baggytrazzas Thu 04-Aug-22 11:39:35

PS on reflection, maybe I have less need now to look for longer lasting goods, and should just go for supreme comfort instead!

Baggytrazzas Thu 04-Aug-22 11:35:04

Hi, I too love beautiful bed linen and take good care of what I have. Some of my sheets and pillowcases are approaching 50 years old and are still in regular use and in good condition. I bought a pair of bamboo pillow cases a few years ago to try them. They definitely are super soft and cool, however I don't think they last as long as good cotton or linen. I guess that's what we pay for them being so super soft. They are still in use but are not in such good condition as others that are much older. Mine haven't gone bobbly but are rather too limp and thin, like they have lost their body.

timetogo2016 Thu 04-Aug-22 11:33:16

I have 4 pairs of bamboo pyjamas and they are so comfortable and easy to wash.
I shall be ordering bed clothes in the very near future too.

henetha Thu 04-Aug-22 11:26:41

They sound great. I love my bamboo socks (mainly because their soft tops don't feel tight on my legs) so might invest in some sheets .

Calendargirl Thu 04-Aug-22 11:07:51

Nothing to do with sheets, but when on holiday in Australia a few years ago, the tour included a trip to an indoor shopping mall. In one clothes shop , I saw a lovely pair of smart/ casual trousers and top made of bamboo, a lovely colour, something I would never normally choose. I hummed and hawed, but didn’t try them on, as the coach was soon departing. So I didn’t buy them.

Often wish I had, they were lovely and so different to what I normally wear.

silverlining48 Thu 04-Aug-22 10:59:12

I Treated my dh to bamboo socks from TK max and have been quite disappointed as after a few washes they got thin and bobbly. Hope that doesn’t happen to your sheets Aveline.

Daddima Thu 04-Aug-22 10:39:40

Oh, please don’t! My weakness is bed linen, and I’ve just given some away. I did like what I read about them, but managed to resist the temptation.

Opal Thu 04-Aug-22 10:35:46

Where did you get them from Aveline?