Gransnet forums

House and home

Where does the dirt lie in and around your home?

(177 Posts)
Baggytrazzas Tue 09-Aug-22 10:40:39

I thought my house and garden were quite clean and tidy, always a few corners needing attention but the overall standards seemed fine to me. I've just finished watering some plant pots on the back doorstep using the hose, and absentmindedly ran the hose over the plastic tufted door mat.................and was truly shocked by the amount of dirt that came out of it. It didn't even look dirty. I usually turn it over and bash it against the step every week or so but haven't washed it before now as it looked quite clean. I've hosed it for 20 minutes full blast and there is still dirt washing out but I've had to leave it for now.

Has anyone else had a shock to discover something they thought was quite clean but in fact was filthy?

Baggytrazzas Tue 09-Aug-22 16:52:23

Georgesgran

I was surprised when the chap pulled my washing machine out (to repair) and found a mummified mouse underneath!
Not half as surprised as the chap who almost had a heart attack!!

Yes, we had mice during the first autumn lockdown. The mouse catcher had to pull out all of the units from our fitted kitchen and all of the wool insulating material which he said was ideal for breeding. He filled all of the holes around the pipes that went through the external wall, and we haven't had any more bother. Fitted or not, there were still 2 chips and a few ancient peas on the floor under the cooker, goodness knows how long they were there for. I've blamed the mice for bringing them in from "elsewhere".

Calendargirl Tue 09-Aug-22 18:02:20

Baggytrazzas

The water companies could pay for the meters being installed.

It would focus peoples minds on how much water is used (and wasted). And a fairer system all round.

Tizliz Tue 09-Aug-22 18:12:49

My husband has just come home and confessed that he had cause to move the microwave at his workshop and found a bag of home made liver dog treats behind it - they had a culture growing on them!

Callistemon21 Tue 09-Aug-22 18:16:17

My washing machine has gone wrong so the engineer came today.
Now, last time the machine was pulled out I cleaned thoroughly behind there so how has it got dirty again?
Where has it come from? Who invited the spiders in?

Tizliz Tue 09-Aug-22 18:16:37

Calendargirl

Baggytrazzas

It would focus peoples minds on how much water is used (and wasted). And a fairer system all round.

Scottish water charge to install meters and as you pay according to your house size there is little reason to install one. Business premises are different.

Calendargirl Tue 09-Aug-22 18:51:32

One reason why it’s better to live in England then Tizliz.

Grannyben Tue 09-Aug-22 19:08:35

My 2 year old grandson was sitting on the toilet when he looked up and pointed out a spiders nest on the bathroom ceiling. I can't say I looked up that often but I do now

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 09-Aug-22 19:57:26

Calendargirl

Baggytrazzas

We didn’t pay for our water meters, I’m assuming that it is a free service still?

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 09-Aug-22 19:57:56

Oops sorry mis read the post in reference to Scotland

Baggytrazzas Wed 10-Aug-22 05:41:07

Calendargirl

Baggytrazzas

Hi Calendargirl, fairer ? The water companies wouldn't pay, they would pass the costs on.

You seem to be of the opinion that I don't pay for water because I don't have a meter, and also that I waste water.

Why don't you start a new thread and we can discuss the matter fully?

Golddustwoman Wed 10-Aug-22 06:30:26

I hate cleaning. My home is safe and hygienic, I do the minimum housework.

Baggytrazzas Wed 10-Aug-22 06:33:14

Me too Golddustwoman, but it seems that sometimes I might just take the minimum slightly too far!

cornergran Wed 10-Aug-22 06:40:29

How did a spider nest appear in the bathroom yesterday morning when it had been cleaned the day before?

‘Minding’ a plumber in a neighbours home I held my breath as he pulled out the washing machine. Not a speck of dust behind it. How do they do that? The same act in our kitchen is invariably the source of much embarrassment.

Baggytrazzas Wed 10-Aug-22 06:45:13

Workmen must see absolute horrors in our homes.

Calendargirl Wed 10-Aug-22 06:58:16

and also that I waste water

You do, if you hose an outside mat on full blast for 20 minutes.

karmalady Wed 10-Aug-22 08:51:57

MerylStreep

I don’t care if the OP lives in an area with a lot of rainfall. It’s still an awful waste of one of our most precious resources.

yes correct and also displays a could not care less attitude

MawtheMerrier Wed 10-Aug-22 09:20:14

Whether metered or not we have a serious water shortage and using a hose on an outdoor mat seems excessive to me - and to those of us in the southern half of the country where even the animals in the fields are running out of grazing, postively self indulgent!
It is sadly impossible to ship or pipe water the huge distances from where it is still raining to those suffering drought conditions, but economy with water, as with energy, is a habit we all need to get into. Two images to make us think?

Baggytrazzas Wed 10-Aug-22 09:27:18

karmalady

MerylStreep

I don’t care if the OP lives in an area with a lot of rainfall. It’s still an awful waste of one of our most precious resources.

yes correct and also displays a could not care less attitude

Could not care less about what, karmalady?

I have not wasted any water, the run off from hosing the mat watered the plants in my garden.

The water itself is not a protected commodity in my area and at present, cannot be transported at presents to other areas where there are shortages.

It rains nearly every day at some point where I am and there is never a shortage.

Basically, it is there in abundance for the using, which is what I have done.

Not everyone on GN lives in the same area as you and in plenty of places there is an abundance and in some places too much water.

I am really sorry if hosing my doormat has upset you so much. However, I will be hosing it again in the next day or two,and again, the run off will water the plants located below the step. Be offended and upset if you want to.

Baggytrazzas Wed 10-Aug-22 09:31:13

MawtheMerrier

Whether metered or not we have a serious water shortage and using a hose on an outdoor mat seems excessive to me - and to those of us in the southern half of the country where even the animals in the fields are running out of grazing, postively self indulgent!
It is sadly impossible to ship or pipe water the huge distances from where it is still raining to those suffering drought conditions, but economy with water, as with energy, is a habit we all need to get into. Two images to make us think?

Hi, if I didnt hose the mat, how would that help improve the water supply in your area MawtheMerrier?

Baggytrazzas Wed 10-Aug-22 09:42:32

Actually, don't bother replying, I'm not putting any more energy into this thread.

For those of you who have contributed to my opening post and have made supportive comments regarding water supplies, and have sent supportive private messages, thank you.

As for the rest of you, I've never in my life read as many ridiculous comments and it's truly hard to believe that these are coming from educated adults. You can't even seem to justify your own comments, just keep bleating away.

Well, on you go. I'm out of this thread. And you know what I'm about too enjoy doing don't you? Happy hosing everyone!

MawtheMerrier Wed 10-Aug-22 09:47:18

If responsibility for the planet is reduced to local considerations only , where is the will to look at the bigger picture and the conditions of others? We are not even talking about the Sahara- but communities in our own country running out of water, of rising food prices because farmers are using their winter feed supplies to feed their livestock, or slaughtering lambs early because they are not thriving, of widespread hosepipe bans across the country, so frankly, and with respect, blasting an outdoor doormat for 20 minutes strikes me as total unawareness of the national situation and that of others.
“I’m all right Jack” was a “slogan” of past decades, but I would have hoped we are more socially and environmentally aware by now.

Mollygo Wed 10-Aug-22 09:54:49

I messaged my neighbour to tell the window cleaner not to call while we were away. He uses a hose and I wasn’t there to see my dirty windows.
The drought in France is really bad too. Harvested fields we passed were just acres of dust and according to the news, crop sprayers are lying idle. I noticed a lot more b.o. than usual at Puy du Fou and Futuroscope last week as well, so people here are doing their bit to help.

pincers Wed 10-Aug-22 10:00:02

I agree, Maw. If each of us took responsibility for the small things we can control and change for the better the cumulative effect could be enormous. The apparent lack of awareness of our precarious position is worrying.

Lucca Wed 10-Aug-22 10:14:30

AGAA4

There is one window that I seem to omit in my cleaning regime. It is in the hallway and is opaque. I decided I had better give it a wipe and was very embarrassed by how filthy it was.

You have a cleaning regime ? ??

Doodledog Wed 10-Aug-22 10:19:15

The poor OP! She was talking about how dirt can lurk, and gets lectured on wasting water.

Can someone in a lecturing mood please explain how the water system works in the UK? I confess to being ignorant about this, and apologise if I am wrong, but my understanding is that water from one area is not sent to another, which is why hosepipe bans etc are localised. I'm sure that if London could flood areas of the North so that they got water, it would have happened, but AFAIK it hasn't has it?

If it is raining in Scotland and the reservoirs are full, how is it going to affect people elsewhere in the country if someone 'wastes' water, if indeed it is possible to do so? If we were saving water to ship it around it would be different, but we aren't, are we? Not yet, at any rate.