Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing Machine Water Usage

(12 Posts)
Caleo Fri 12-Aug-22 20:43:12

When I bought my machine I was assured it weighed the dirty washing and the machine's water usage was assessed as a continuum.

Is this true?

MerylStreep Fri 12-Aug-22 20:44:48

Yes ?. Brilliant, isn’t it.

Georgesgran Fri 12-Aug-22 20:46:07

Yes - mine’s the same. The little red light keeps calculating the weight and adjusts the water intake, until it’s just right.

Fleurpepper Fri 12-Aug-22 20:46:53

Because of water shortages, I now only wash on reduced time programme, which uses less water, for routine washing.

Farzanah Fri 12-Aug-22 20:50:34

I had a brilliant Miele which did that but when it gave up the ghost after many years of service I got another brand. This one doesn’t (and isn’t half as good either).

Caleo Fri 12-Aug-22 20:51:05

Georgesgran and MerylStreep, in view of what you say does advice to not use washing machine until it can be fully loaded NOT apply to people who have that sort of washing machine that weighs its loads?

Georgesgran Fri 12-Aug-22 21:02:14

Mine adjusts the length of the wash too, according to the weight. It only applies on certain long programmes including a pre-wash - which I don’t really use. I wash for my daughter, so always full loads as I combine mine with hers. No shortage of water up here and I’m on a meter, paying £18 a month.

Caleo Sat 13-Aug-22 10:39:56

I wonder if cold water soaking and hand wash followed by drain and spin, followed by rinse and spin would save water and energy.

JackyB Sat 13-Aug-22 10:56:11

Fleurpepper

Because of water shortages, I now only wash on reduced time programme, which uses less water, for routine washing.

I have always understood that the short programmes are the most extravagant with water and electricity. Our machine uses the least water in the eco programme, which takes longest of all. However I never use it because I was shocked to read that the 60° eco programme only heats the water to 27°.

Squiffy Sat 13-Aug-22 10:59:54

I used to have a machine that did a half load wash, using half the amount of water, but they don’t make them any more. Can’t think why not, it would take less energy to heat up, too.

Fleurpepper Sat 13-Aug-22 11:01:13

JackyB

Fleurpepper

I have always understood that the short programmes are the most extravagant with water and electricity. Our machine uses the least water in the eco programme, which takes longest of all. However I never use it because I was shocked to read that the 60° eco programme only heats the water to 27°.

Mine cuts one one cycle and one rinse- so much less water. For routine non stained wash, I just use less detergent, so another +, and low heat to 30C, another+

Caleo Sat 13-Aug-22 11:04:35

I suppose hot water is useful only for helping to break down grease in dirty washing. Not all used clothing is contaminated with much grease.

The disinfection function of hotter water is relative, and drying in the open air especially in sunshine will help make the stuff cleaner.

I scald dish towels and dishcloths after the wash.