Katie, I really cannot recall. how much it cost us to sell Dads house, sorry. The solicitor handled everything and Mum and Dad were very clued up with their wills so the. whole process was seamless.
When the time came to clear the home we donated loads of stuff to a local project who set up the homeless - sheets, blankets, pots & pans, crockery, cutlery, ovenware, tools, furniture - you name it, they accepted it. Upholstered items had to have the labels on warning of fire risks though.
Apart from a few sentimental items the ornamental stuff was donated to the local Air Ambulance too.
Basically, unless the house is full of damaged, unusable stuff there is really no need to go to the expense of hiring skips.
I wish you well as I know it can be a very difficult task but knowing that the contents are going to be of some use does make things easier somehow.