Gransnet forums

House and home

Something amazing has happened.

(36 Posts)
annsixty Wed 17-Aug-22 16:54:41

In the post this morning a yearly statement from United Utilities, my water supplier..
My payments have gone down by £5 a month , an absolute shock in the face of everything else going up.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 18:42:48

Is anyone including the sewerage charge, not quoting just the water charge?

Milest0ne Fri 19-Aug-22 18:36:14

Our water is free from our spring but we still pay over. £200 p/a for a particle filter and UV lamp . Can't complain about the quality of the water. It is a bit brown after prolonged heavy rain. We also have to reduce our use of detergent and shampoo as the water is very soft. All our pipes are plastic, or so we thought, till a short length of original copper pipe failed and sprayed water all over the cloakroom
This is just to say we might have free water but we still have water bills.

HousePlantQueen Fri 19-Aug-22 16:41:54

vegansrock

I have a meter and our bill in £100 per month. Thank you Thames Water - the sooner they are privatised the better. We don’t waste water -,shower quickly daily, water our tiny garden but have a pond and small veg patch and greenhouse which does need watering. We save grey water and have water butts. It’s a complete rip off.

crikey! We are with Anglian Water and pay £16 a month. Showers, washing machine on so we are not smelly honestly! No baths though. I think you may have a leak? Mind you, we haven't watered our garden much this year, but even when I had a greenhouse and veg beds full last year, we only paid £31 per month.

BigBertha1 Fri 19-Aug-22 15:54:04

We have UU too and ours has gone down by £5 a month.

Nannan2 Fri 19-Aug-22 15:47:19

Yes congrats Annsixty- but ive made right choice for me i think this time, as i was always worrying about using too much or any leaky taps etc or son longer in shower.Now ill realax a bit.?

vegansrock Fri 19-Aug-22 15:43:45

I have a meter and our bill in £100 per month. Thank you Thames Water - the sooner they are privatised the better. We don’t waste water -,shower quickly daily, water our tiny garden but have a pond and small veg patch and greenhouse which does need watering. We save grey water and have water butts. It’s a complete rip off.

Nannan2 Fri 19-Aug-22 15:40:40

Well i was told that in new house- no meter, but if i fit one im not saving much, even with watersure price cap- difference only £4- so with a son with OCD and so constant showers& extra handwashing and one teenager who spends 20 mins in shower (but only normal college day use) i decided id go with the £4 rise! ?

Nannan2 Fri 19-Aug-22 15:34:53

Yes miss Adventure- if hob gets turned on accidentally you'll lose another onegrin?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 15:03:56

Too right. And my husband said yesterday that they’re paying a dividend of 15p per share. Grrr.

Sophrosyne Fri 19-Aug-22 14:43:58

That's a nice surprise annsixty.

Like many I am annoyed at the way the water companies appear not to be ploughing their huge profits on fixing leaky pipes and controlling sewage leakages but handing themselves huge bonuses instead.

I am still baffled that when council tax bands are corrected, ie higher than they should be, the overpayment is refunded but guess what? - water rates are based on the original (in many cases incorrect) rateable value and the water companies have no similar system to correct and refund the overpayment.

Couldn't agree more Callistemon21

nannypiano Fri 19-Aug-22 14:29:15

I get quite angry when I see Anglian Water advertising on tv. Like has been said already, we have no choice who supplies our water, so why the need to advertise? It must be paid for through our bills. Advertising isn't cheap. Arrrgh.

Grantanow Fri 19-Aug-22 12:21:23

Water companies should be nationalised. They are monopolies and fail to invest adequately in leak prevention and sewage treatment.

Grammaretto Fri 19-Aug-22 11:53:14

But do you use them all shysal?
I have a hoover on each floor of my 3 story house. It doesn't encourage more hoovering but if it did then it would be easier.
I am pleased about the small bill annsixty
though mine is frightening despite having no boiler for 3 months and before that no cooker for a year.

Gabrielle56 Fri 19-Aug-22 11:51:23

It's the little things........?

shysal Fri 19-Aug-22 11:44:33

I have 7 watering cans! blush. Some in the front near the outside tap, others positioned near the 3 butts around the back garden. Small for high baskets and larger for pots.

SparklyGrandma Fri 19-Aug-22 11:36:43

MissAdventure nice watering can. I am off to buy a second one tomorrow so I can fill with household water, then water my plants.
Maybe even buy two more, if the price is right.

Georgesgran Wed 17-Aug-22 20:44:56

Of course now your missing can will turn up! Sod’s Law? X

Callistemon21 Wed 17-Aug-22 20:41:18

I was thinking about this today.

Water is privatised. If the customer buys something from a private company there is usually a choice where to buy the product or commodity.

However, there is no choice at all with water companies - if you live in their area they are your supplier, no choice.

Why aren't we protesting?

crazyH Wed 17-Aug-22 20:37:02

Miss A - ?

MissAdventure Wed 17-Aug-22 20:35:02

That's about the only place that is tidy ish at the moment. blush

crazyH Wed 17-Aug-22 20:33:07

Now now, why is it on your hob? Remove it asap ??

Aveline Wed 17-Aug-22 20:25:29

That's great annsixty such a surprise these days!

MissAdventure Wed 17-Aug-22 20:03:05

Oops. Thought I'd lost this one too!

MissAdventure Wed 17-Aug-22 20:01:35

Ta da!
Meet the new addition.
Came today, through the post, but cost more than I'd have liked.

Georgesgran Wed 17-Aug-22 19:58:41

And you’ll be saving even more MissA until your wandering watering can returns! ?
Any sign, or have you replaced it?