Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Norah Sun 05-Feb-23 16:57:53

Proper Pane Genzano (crusty bread)

1C hot water
1t sugar
1t yeast mix together, allow to proof

1t salt
2 1/2 C Italian 0000 flour

Stir. Form to ball in bowl. Allow to rise 30-40 min, covered.

Punch down, form 2-3 loaves, on a papered sheet, Let rise 20 min.

Stone heating in 220 oven.

Slip off paper onto your hot stone.

Bake 220 10 min, lower heat. Bake 200 10-12 min. Cool.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Feb-23 20:09:41

nanna8

The bread maker has gone back into the back of the cupboard again since the Covid restrictions have gone here. A shame really but I can’t be bothered making it anymore. You can’t beat bread from the hot bread kitchen eaten on the day you buy it but it is getting very expensive so I guess it will be back to Coles and Woolworths.

I miss raisin bread (from Coles?), it's just not the same in the UK.

JPB123 Thu 02-Feb-23 20:01:26

Oldnproud

Mamie

Riverwalk

I didn't realise until about 10 years ago that you can freeze milk - heard two women behind me on the bus discussing it!

I keep a couple of the two-pint plastic bottles in the freezer - word of advice it takes many hours to defrost so take it out before bed and leave on the draining board if needed for the morning.

I keep milk in the freezer, but I do find that it goes off very quickly after defrosting.

Not living near a shop, and reliant on a three-weekly (if i was lucky) delivery for all our food, including milk, I started keeping quite a stock of milk in our freezer during lockdown. I started this after they weren't able to bring me a single bottle of milk of any kind with one delivery.

I wrote a number or letter on every bottle (plastic), indicating which order they should be used in.

This worked really well for ages, though I had to check for splits in the bottles before thawing, and defrost in a large container just in case.
However, after a largely problem-free year of doing this, and despite the milk not being 'old', we started getting an increasing number that just didn't taste right when thawed. I have no idea why. The freezer temperature was still perfectly OK.

Anyway, we stopped doing it because of that and now keep a reserve of long-life cartons instead, though still making sure that they are not kept too long and using oldest first.

We always froze milk ,but recently it hasn’t been as successful,so just buy fresh milk now.

nanna8 Thu 02-Feb-23 08:28:00

It’s just a food shop now, used to be Safeways. Not like the old Woolworths when I was young.

silverlining48 Thu 02-Feb-23 08:15:28

Ah Woolworths, long gone here in the uk.

nanna8 Thu 02-Feb-23 03:34:42

The bread maker has gone back into the back of the cupboard again since the Covid restrictions have gone here. A shame really but I can’t be bothered making it anymore. You can’t beat bread from the hot bread kitchen eaten on the day you buy it but it is getting very expensive so I guess it will be back to Coles and Woolworths.

AussieGran59 Thu 02-Feb-23 01:15:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floradora9 Wed 01-Feb-23 21:30:02

If you do not have room in your freezer or just fancy it I make Melba Toast . I put slices of bread in the toaster , toast lightly cut off the sides , split in two lengthwise then dry off for a few minutes in the oven . My DGC love it and will fight over the last bit . It keeps for well over a week in an airtight container. you can do this when the oven is on for anything else .

grannypiper Wed 01-Feb-23 18:18:33

Marydoll Jam in a soup maker ? This is life changing, please can you post your recipe please.

lizzypopbottle Wed 01-Feb-23 17:45:37

One OR two....

lizzypopbottle Wed 01-Feb-23 17:44:21

Tire not fire....😐 don't you just hate auto suggest?

lizzypopbottle Wed 01-Feb-23 17:42:17

We have limited freezer space so bagging small amounts enables us to squeeze things into small spaces. We'd never fit an entire loaf into either of our tiny freezers.
I try not to waste food by freezing half a jar of something e.g. Salsa but our best waste preventing move was to compile a list of meals we enjoy and organise them into a four weekly chart. There are one of two repeats of our absolute favourites but we rarely fire of anything on our planner. We have a couple of options marked on some of the days. This has completely stopped me from the impulse buying that used to lead to unused items being thrown out! I know what to shop for and the quantities we need.

Ethelwashere1 Wed 01-Feb-23 17:04:24

I only eat sourdough for health reasons and it’s expensive so I need to freeze it. Just bought a breadmaker for which I will experiment with recipes

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 16:48:41

Auntieflo

*Norah*. that sounds like a very large 'pudding'! We also have frozen bread and milk for years, with no problems.
But, all this talk of bread pudding is making my feel peckish. Mum used to make the most beautiful ones, and dad had orders from workmates when he was alive to bring one in to work.

It's nine servings or breakfasts even. Our children and GC are round often, they like it cold or re-heated (from fridge or freezer).

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 16:44:10

effalump

Unfortunately I have a 60/40 fridge/freezer and the bottom drawer is never very big so I am unable to freeze loaves and mine is usually full of meat/poultry/frozen veg. I did wonder if I toasted the unused bread and cut it into croutons and then freeze it, it might take up less room.

effalump I did wonder if I toasted the unused bread and cut it into croutons and then freeze it, it might take up less room.

We fry/toast, then let it dry, as from the shop. Store in paper bag.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Feb-23 16:37:21

Norah

Stale frozen bread makes wonderful Arme Ritter, if you cook with eggs. We keep eggs in the fridge, enabling us to cook for GC.

I had to look up Arme Ritter!

French toast (or Eggy Bread).

HeidiJoy2u2 Wed 01-Feb-23 16:01:31

"Little Annie" is the name of my sourdough starter. I feed her when she's hungry and she delights me with demi-baguettes which are perfect to freeze and pull out for hubby's lunchbox along with homemade guacamole also stored in the freezer in 4 oz. jars. I bake 100% freshly ground Rye goodies with additions weekly and freeze individual pizza crusts, crusts for casserole pans, sliced bread wrapped in two's for paninis and more. I love the taste of homemade and haven't bought "bread" in over 20 years. As for milk, I was never fatter or sicker than when I ate dairy. I gave it up along with meat a long time ago and feel so much better for it. No health issues here. I freeze my garden peppers all diced up in 4 oz. jars, recipe ready, as well as my dill, parsley and cilantro. If I make a large batch of chipotle burgers, I'll put some of that into the freezer for another day but never let such things get "buried" in the freezer. I use my dehydrator quite a bit for garden tomatoes, peppers and vidalia onions to add to casseroles and soups.... that way, I have fewer worries about losing power, which happens quite a bit here on the mountain, by not freezing too much!

effalump Wed 01-Feb-23 14:23:25

Unfortunately I have a 60/40 fridge/freezer and the bottom drawer is never very big so I am unable to freeze loaves and mine is usually full of meat/poultry/frozen veg. I did wonder if I toasted the unused bread and cut it into croutons and then freeze it, it might take up less room.

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 11:22:17

Stale frozen bread makes wonderful Arme Ritter, if you cook with eggs. We keep eggs in the fridge, enabling us to cook for GC.

Beautful Wed 01-Feb-23 08:11:42

I have frozen bread for years, but why waste money on bags ? When I want a slice or 2 take bread out , take a couple of slices & put loaf back ... I even freeze cake aswell

Sasta Tue 31-Jan-23 20:04:56

Freezing bread / win win AussieGran59. Sainsbury’s within minutes’ walk, love it but both a blessing and a curse Urmstongran. Our relatively ‘new’. Sainsbury’s is six minutes walk and such a convenience - I’m there a lot. But I’m finding the choice more and more limited. Is it just our store I wonder?

twiglet77 Tue 31-Jan-23 20:00:21

Eskay10

What is a slow cooker loaf. I’m struggling with my slow cooker but this sounds interesting

Google ‘slow cooker bread’, there are lots of recipes.

One 1lb loaf tin fits in my 3.5 litre slow cooker, or sometimes I just put the dough on baking paper. I preheat the slow cooker on high for 20-30 minutes, with the tin in it. I brush the top with milk and sprinkle linseeds, bran or porridge oats on top as it doesn’t really brown. I put a folded tea towel under the lid to absorb condensation.

Much cheaper than heating the electric oven!

hilz Tue 31-Jan-23 19:51:44

Yes. We don't eat much bread but like to have it in so started doing this years ago when we used our breadmaker (an unexpected gift) . Not keen on the frozen milk thing but have long life milk in for emergencies. Have started to freeze cake in slices as it was too tempting to eat it all after baking. I hate any food waste so take short dated items to local food bank and spare portions get frozen or given to neighbours. Older couple a few doors down are struggling and its nice to help.

Eskay10 Tue 31-Jan-23 19:12:07

What is a slow cooker loaf. I’m struggling with my slow cooker but this sounds interesting

airolg Tue 31-Jan-23 18:57:16

I am new to mumsnet, so interesting to read these comments. I am going to look every day on here for tip