Gransnet forums

House and home

The men load the dishwasher

(103 Posts)
AussieGran59 Tue 31-Jan-23 05:57:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nanna8 Tue 14-Mar-23 23:37:52

I usually cook and he cleans up but I always have to wash the sinks down because he leaves grout round the edges . We tend to only put plates and dishes in the dishwasher and wash pans the old fashioned way but we haven’t had problems with food sticking to the plates. Very old dishwasher with 2 drawers, good old Fisher and Paykel . Ours was bought when it was a New Zealand company , I think our Chinese friends have it now.

Blossoming Tue 14-Mar-23 23:33:43

I know mine too grumppa and it’s not in the kitchen near the sharp things!

grumppa Tue 14-Mar-23 23:30:58

I load the dishwasher, having scraped but not pre-rinsed, run it and empty it. I usually also do any residual washing up. I know my place!

Blossoming Tue 14-Mar-23 23:24:53

We don’t have a dishwasher, this pic is pretty much how the dishes get washed in this house, except Mr. B is in the kitchen on the ground floor while I’m in my recliner on the top floor grin

Hetty58 Tue 14-Mar-23 20:48:26

My eldest lets out rooms in his house - so had twin dishwashers installed at a convenient height (a couple of feet off the ground). The idea was that one would have the clean stuff - and the other the dirty.

It didn't work. When he stayed here, he took a few things out, put his dirty plate, cup, pan etc. in - then set it to wash everything again! Apparently, his cleaner is the only one to ever bother emptying a dishwasher.

Shinamae Tue 14-Mar-23 20:27:24

BlueBelle

Well I don’t have a man and never had a dishwasher so I d better get off this thread

Me too! 😬

Bridie22 Tue 14-Mar-23 19:27:47

Same as you Bluebelle...of we trot 🤣

BlueBelle Tue 14-Mar-23 18:20:00

Well I don’t have a man and never had a dishwasher so I d better get off this thread

CanadianGran Tue 14-Mar-23 18:18:02

No dishwasher here either, but we do dishes differently. Of course his is the 'right' way....hmm

Wyllow3 Tue 14-Mar-23 18:04:17

I don't have a dishwasher. This simplifies an aspect of life. I am currently single, however in two marriages (and my Dad too) the male always did the dishwashing.

However chez DS, they have 4 kids, DS also loads the dishwasher.

A poster asks: is it genetic or social engineering?

Grantanow Tue 14-Mar-23 17:49:08

Someone I knew said that loading the dishwasher was a high status role whereas washing up was not.

TwinLolly Fri 03-Feb-23 08:49:28

I try to get DH to load the dishwasher - he's better at filling it than me. He will find spaces where I can't!

Fatty plates and frying pans? I have to encourage him to wipe them down with kitchen roll first, to remove the excess fat so it doesn't go down the drains - dishwasher or sink.

Legs11 Fri 03-Feb-23 07:31:58

When I moved in with my partner I realised that he grouped cutlery together in the basket in the dishwasher, so followed suit. Knives in one corner, forks in another etc. But I was a little surprised when I learned that I’d put them in ‘the wrong corners’ once, when the dishwasher was empty! Yes, they must be grouped in the SAME corner every time! I was gobsmacked! That’s when I realised that although I like to be organised, I detest routine. But I now load the cutlery ‘his way’, as it’s no extra effort.

grannybuy Thu 02-Feb-23 23:42:37

I use the dishwasher less these days. Only DS and myself here now. Like an earlier poster, when I hand wash, I put everything into the dishwasher below, then remove them the next morning, nice and dry.

Missiseff Thu 02-Feb-23 22:13:08

I wouldn't have a clue how to load the dishwasher. My husband's always done it.

tattygran14 Thu 02-Feb-23 20:07:51

My partner would argue about anything. I finally realised that if I just said ok you do it, life was peaceful. And I was off the hook! Win win.

queenofsaanich69 Thu 02-Feb-23 19:57:35

Men load dishwashers ?

Nannagarra Thu 02-Feb-23 18:44:49

We both load the dishwasher: occasionally one of us adjusts the items the other’s put in. I prefer bowls facing the cutlery box; he finds I have a tendency to overload the machine.
When the DSs lived with us, one of them had a definite style and firm views about loading. The rest of us accepted the ‘correction’, with light hearts smiled and left him to it.
DH sees it as his job to unload, and I’ve absolutely no intention of disputing this. He does this at least once a day plus I hand wash if we’ve used a food processor. There are only two of us now, we don’t eat three course meals, so how, pray tell, do we manage to accumulate so much used crockery and cutlery?
🤔

lizzypopbottle Thu 02-Feb-23 18:26:13

Which report says no need to rinse but do scrape. They should know. My son's idea of loading the dishwasher is to place things nearby on the worktop.

I must say I do dislike seeing droopy washing on the line. It dries with creases that then need ironing. I hang mine out nice and tight.

Nicksmrs46 Thu 02-Feb-23 17:53:08

Hubby loads the dishwasher, I rearrange it !! As for hanging clothes, I was taught if you wear it on the top hang it from the bottom, if you wear it on the bottom hang it from the top!

Saggi Thu 02-Feb-23 17:45:29

My SIL is the same ….but as he’s the only person I know who has one of these ‘wastes of time and water’ ….🤷🏻‍♀️

Amandajs66 Thu 02-Feb-23 16:59:26

When my ‘now husband’ first moved in with me he would hoover the house after I had done it. It used to really upset me, especially as I have a successful cleaning company and have for many years.
I soon learnt to just let him get on with it!
However nearly 20 years on I really can’t remember the last time he hoovered.
Apparently it was a job he did when married to his first wife, soon got out of that habit. x

Witzend Thu 02-Feb-23 16:57:48

nadateturbe

Scrape food off certainly, but my husband prewashes so thoroughly I can't tell whether the dishwasher needs switched on or emptying. What's the point in that?

A friend of mine had magnets for the front of the dishwasher, saying CLEAN or DIRTY.,
I’ve never seen similar though.

AreWeThereYet Thu 02-Feb-23 16:49:21

Ooops. He'd probably be better than me at posting too 🤣

AreWeThereYet Thu 02-Feb-23 16:48:19

RosemaryAnne

My husband is the same. Rinses everything first so it's practically spotless. I leave him to it. I know if I put an odd cup or plate in he'll put it "in the right place" for me. Who am I to spoil his fun?

^ I know if I put an odd cup or plate in he'll put it "in the right place" for me. Who am I to spoil his fun?^

Exactly 😄 Why waste energy worrying about ridiculous things when there are so many real problems in life