Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving from house to flat

(77 Posts)
AJgranma Mon 13-Feb-23 16:20:30

Am 74 & thinking about moving to a city apartment. Thinking - no stairs/garden/lively interesting surroundings. Messaged grown up children/grandchildren about this & had no response. I feel they disapprove - and am hurt, wanted to discuss it but can’t force it on them. I’m not entirely confident about it anyway. What to do?

karmalady Sat 27-May-23 12:28:15

Tricoteuse

Be careful of new builds, leasehold properties that levy ever increasing ground rent and service charges.

why do you say to be careful of new builds? I am in a new build and it is absolutely perfect, a beautiful home , maintenance free, 2 years for snagging plus another 8 years with nhbc. It is warm, cosy and very well insulated, so it is quiet and peaceful with beautiful large windows,my 4 bed detached house has wide enough stairs in case of ever needing a stairlift. Plus it has a downstairs cloakroom as have all new builds

Obviously service charges are important, best to try and get a flat in a self-managed block. In that case less to pay as no third party profits to be included. Important however to be willing to do your bit as the work of managing the paperwork etc has to be done by the residents

Primrose53 Fri 26-May-23 20:00:50

Very timely. Wednesday we were in our regional city and drove along the riverside. The sun was shining and the swans were swimming and some leisure cruisers were passing through. There were some very nice flats …… two storeys I think overlooking the river and DH and myself both agreed we could live there and just sit and watch the water. They looked like private flats.

Not quite ready yet as we have an elderly horse so we still need to care for her and we need a field!!

Tricoteuse Fri 26-May-23 18:47:51

Be careful of new builds, leasehold properties that levy ever increasing ground rent and service charges.

karmalady Sat 20-May-23 07:46:45

How is that potential move going AJgranma, did you sell your house?

Dingle66 Sat 13-May-23 18:21:08

Hi I'm moving to a pent house flat from a 2bed house I live alone the flat is beautiful big kitchen and lounge. upstairs bedroom and bathroom with bath and 2balconies my adult children said go for it and it's close to shops and transport as I don't drive I'm 57and. I know I'm doing the right thing so why am I sad at leaving

Allsorts Sun 19-Feb-23 07:22:21

I really think you need to look at what is best for you. To be close to amenities and activities is my main aim. I have hesitated too long, I don’t mind stairs as I think after a time you do get bungalow legs unless you’re very disciplined. Out grown up children are not the best at communicating, they have jobs and youngsters to think about, knowing you are settled and happy would be better for them to.

grandMattie Sun 19-Feb-23 05:56:33

I have sold my 3 bed house in Kent to move closer to my daughter in the West Country. I was recently widowed and feel that, at 75, it’s not fair for DD to be so far away. I saw how hard it was for her to visit her beloved father when he was dying.
I have found a nice enough flat in sheltered accommodation although I am very fit and extremely well. I will adapt to my new circumstances, I absolutely must do it before I’m too frail.
It’s going to be a wrench to leave here, but here goes. One has to be practical and pragmatic.

Warbler Sun 19-Feb-23 05:03:41

I didn't quite understand why you wanted verification from the children to do what you feel you would like to do. Have the confidence to move wherever you want. Life is so short. It sounds fantastic, going into somewhere where there are less responsibilities, lively attractions around you. No more stairs if the stairs bother you. What's not to like. I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about the children being disapproving, if indeed they are, but would be forthright in asking them for their opinions. You might be quite surprised at the answers.

Jillykins3 Sat 18-Feb-23 15:00:02

I have often thought of living in a flat with a south or west facing balcony. I often look on rightmove at places like Chester because there are some lovely ones there that overlook the busy Shropshire Union canal. Or in Devon where my sister lives. My only problem is l couldn't take my little dog.Very few flats allow dogs and he is a big part of my life .

AJgranma Sat 18-Feb-23 14:43:39

Thanks all - I really value all the comments and experiences. My fears about family disapproval were unfounded. I now think I was in a state of acute anxiety about it all. Now that I’ve actually put my house on the market & told the family, they’re fine! Waiting now to see if house will sell. I wouldn’t be heartbroken if it didn’t and I stay here forever - but am viewing apartments and hoping to achieve enough on house sale to get a nice flat. Location is top of my list - then a comfortable attractive home. Hopefully! Am going for it! Thanks so much everyone! 🙏

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Feb-23 11:52:24

Coolgran65

I'd ring them saying, "did you read my message....what do you think. I'd really like your opinion."

I'd honestly be tempted to text " hey you lot, guess what?! I'm emigrating 🤪😅" reaction? I bet you get quite a lot....

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Feb-23 11:50:29

Gabrielle56

I have one rule when buying stuff, any stuff, it's "if in doubt - don't" I've come a cropper too many times and kicked myself for not cooling off before committing.my DS bought new apartment in 2007(yep!) Just for a coupl of years then move on to house.....2023? Stuck there in negative equity with interest only mortgage, like millstone, he's seriously thought of surrendering or even going bankrupt as he was sold with an endowment too..... Think carefully

WITHOUT an endowment....so much for freedom of choice? At least back in day you had to have one to cover your final payment...

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Feb-23 11:49:21

I have one rule when buying stuff, any stuff, it's "if in doubt - don't" I've come a cropper too many times and kicked myself for not cooling off before committing.my DS bought new apartment in 2007(yep!) Just for a coupl of years then move on to house.....2023? Stuck there in negative equity with interest only mortgage, like millstone, he's seriously thought of surrendering or even going bankrupt as he was sold with an endowment too..... Think carefully

nipsmum Sat 18-Feb-23 10:25:10

I moved from a first floor flat to a small one bedroom house in 2005. I had lived in the council flat for 15 years after my marriage broke up. I had the neighbours from hell upstairs. My daughter's lived 50 miles to the south and 100 miles to the north. In consultation with them I decided to move nearer my younger daughter. I applied for a council house in that area and after 3 years on the waiting list I was offered this lovely 1 bedroom house about 3 miles from my daughter. It's a move I have never regretted and have no plans to ever move again.

madeleine45 Fri 17-Feb-23 17:54:08

I have moved to a ground floor flat from a 3 bedroom house recently. Have moved a lot in the past but had spent 20 odd years in my last home which I loved, found hard to leave but in the end the most important thing for me is to retain my independance for as long as possible. Have done many years of hospital car service and have seen so many people have some problem that means that they could not drive, that occurs suddenly. In the countryside you are stuck without a car and either have to spend a fortune on taxis or depend on other people s help or infrequent buses. So with independance a major reason I made lists of pros and cons, ranging from the practical - nearness to shops, hospital etc - to personal needs - access to a garden , close to countryside etc. Then I did what I have done in the past with other homes. Start by thinking about what areas you might consider and any that you definitely dont want. Then in the pro areas, check out general transport availability, and how early and late this runs. Nothing worse than having to be like cinderalla when you go to a theatre or cinema and have to dash off at the end to get the last bus!! Once you have a couple of possibilities check if there are two roads in and out. If there is only one way in and out this can become a problem with road works or becoming very congested. Then I would start buying the local paper weekly from the places you fancy. You will find much information in them, ranging from what goes on from open gardens to whist drives, and a general idea of anywhere that can be a problem say a square where the kids congregate and there is problems in the evening. Read those over a few weeks and you will get quite a good idea on the style of the place. Once you have decided on the general area you fancy, do you know a few people in that area who might give you some ideas about the town? In the meantime you could have a look at some flats in that area online or from the estate agents, more with the idea of the dimensions of flats rather than costs, just so that you get some idea of what space you will have. My husband and I found it was really worth the faff of getting some graph paper and then cut out a scaled graph of the flat and then comes the fiddly bit! We cut out to scale the furniture . On each piece put a number and then write down on a piece of paper the list of every item. Then the fun bit! Much easier to play with bits of paper to try out different configurations. What would be absolutely vital to take and what could be changed etc. You will start by wanting to take so much, but as you move things about you will find that this does not always work out. You may even find that you change your mind about taking things and decide to sell them or give them to the children if they want them , but buy things that are better suited to your new place.As this is going on , my next advice sounds a bit mad but it proves very worthwhile as I have proved. If the town you fancy is close by and you have a car, then set out to have a few days sleuthing. So if you have a road or possible area of flats go there and park up very early. I set out a form with times across the top and vehicles down the side and so can then sit there with my coffee etc and just tick off the different things and times so that you can do that at different times of day and weekdays and weekends. If you go early one day and stay later another you get a good overall view of how much traffic and if it would be a problem for you. We had seen a property we liked in one place and I did this for 3 different days and times and decided not to buy, when you saw the amount of traffic passing, which was only likely to get worse. we bought our previous house and I was always glad that I had made that effort. You might also deliberately go and stay b and b soon before the weather improves, especially if it is a bit too far to go to easily for a day. To stay somewhere on a very ordinary winters week gives you so much more idea than on a lovely sunny summer day , when you can easily make choices based on just a one day view. Well that seems rather a lot of effort I am sure, but it is worth it to be more sure of what you want and more likely to make a good show. If whilst doing all this you actually find that you either dont really like any of the places you have seen or just realize that you could not afford the kind of place you want then that is still a good result and you might think of the possibility of dividing your home into two flats where you stay in the ground floor level and let out the upper flat to provide you with income. Personally I would prefer to do a lot of this before I involved my family . Once I am absolutely sure of my decision to move and a general idea of where I might choose . Then you know that the major decisions and ideas are yours and then friends and family can make comments on your plans and may give you new ideas that may not have occurred to you. if you happen to be a member of something like WI or Rotary or Garden clubs again you may have an easy contact with the place you might like to visit and get some ideas from people who already live there. I do hope you find some of this helpful and wish you every good luck in your new home. Of course there have been ups and downs in my move but to say that I moved in the middle of the pandemic and could not even use all the normal things I would have done, I did make the right move and definitely practically. Yesterdays strong wind has not worried me in the slightest as am not responsible for the roof etc and could just sit in my warm flat and be glad I was not out in the bad weather.

Coolgran65 Fri 17-Feb-23 17:43:40

I'd ring them saying, "did you read my message....what do you think. I'd really like your opinion."

GrannyBe Fri 17-Feb-23 17:17:02

We moved from the country to town but into a house with a garden. I can walk to the shops, doctor, dentist etc. When I can’t drive any longer, I won’t need to ask for help and that’s why we moved. Independent till the end!

Franbern Fri 17-Feb-23 16:46:40

cc

In addition to the high service charges and high initial costs, many of the organisations who run these retirement complexes also take a share of the sale price when the property is eventually sold. They do appear to simply be very profitable businesses.

This is true. But moving to a flat does not mean having to go to one of these. My flat is just in a normal block - so there is no house manager, I suppose, in a way, it is just living in a verticle street. Also, whereas there is no actual age limitation as to who moved in here, in all forty years the flats have been built they have rarely had anyone below around retirement age, so no children or even teenagers making any noise.

I have found living a flat actually quieter and more peaceful than in a house (no problem about noisy neighbours), but children played in gardens , etc. and motor bikes would roar into our little Close during the night.

The only noises that reverberte in this block is when people have work done in their flats, hammers and noisy drills can be heard, but there are strict rules in place as to when this sort of work can be carried out.

We all have our own locked letter-boxed at the main entrance, We 'buzz' open that main front door from out flats to allow in parcel deliveries. Although if someone is down in the entrance foyer they will take in that parcel and leave it in the foyer for the person to whom it is addressed collects it. Never had any report of ANY gone missing.

Bijou Fri 17-Feb-23 16:13:12

Some time ago I did think of moving from my bungalow in Norfolk to be nearer my son but property prices were so high there that I would only be able to afford a tiny flat so I decided to stay put. Also I would miss my garden and lovely neighbours and a friendly village.

Aldom Fri 17-Feb-23 15:45:48

Pinkjj the OP has spoken to her family and they are being very supportive. See page Two.

Chocgran Fri 17-Feb-23 15:45:35

If I were you, I’d do your homework and do what’s best for you. Your idea seems pretty sensible. Cities have problems, but rural areas can too. As an ex Londoner living in an affluent village in the Home Counties, I see lots of drug and mental health problems around me. We had one neighbour (thankfully now moved on) who would regularly party until 5:00am at weekends and kept very unpleasant company. The locals who had known him all his life, used to make excuses for him. I’m thinking of doing the same as you as I get older. Bringing up a family in the countryside was nice, but now I’m retired I’m finding the lack of facilities, culture and entertainment a bit dull. Horses for courses!

busybee6969 Fri 17-Feb-23 15:36:56

my ony downside is i love putting my washing on a washing line outside,so wonder how all these people dry their washing, not everything can go in the tumble dryer,apart from that sounds great

pinkjj27 Fri 17-Feb-23 15:09:39

When I fled my abusive first husband, with my kids we had a small flat. When I met my 2nd husband, I lived with him at his house allowing family to live my flat. When he died, I found the house lonely and it didn’t feel like mine. When My niece said she was moving in with her boyfreind , I went back to my flat.
I never thought of asking my kids and certainly not my grandkids, as I don’t need them to make my decisions and I doubt they would have cared either way. I just told them of my plan they helped me move.
I do have stairs in the block and a balcony where I have a small garden. I have painted in my home girly colours and it reflects my sparkly personality. I can keep myself to myself in a flat more than the house ( no garden) it’s easier to clean and manage. It’s a 1930s flat with large rooms and lovely features like an oak floors his was a newbuild. I have a guest room so my family can stay and a small craft space. I am near to a country park, near shops and on a bus route the local train station is half mile walk. There are two large emporiums near me to buy upcycled goods and a 2 farm shops and a community farm so I can live a sustainable life . Best thing I ever did and I would never move.
I don’t know your kids or your relationship with them but why would they disapprove? Maybe they didn’t get the text or didnt know what to say. Can you ring them It is quite a big thing to text about maybe they trying to process it.
I would ask people you know that have made the move get confidence in the idea yourself first, then tell everyone of your plan if they know you are confident and happy they may feel more reassured about the idea. Good luck.

HeavenLeigh Fri 17-Feb-23 15:03:56

I think you should do what you want to do Ajgranma after all it’s you that’s living there good luck

REWIRING Fri 17-Feb-23 14:47:58

I wish my parents had downsized to a flat when they were able. Now they are 87 and 90 respectively and refuse to move ans struggle with the layout and size of their 3 bedroom semi.
It has been a lesson for me - when I retire I will certainly consider downsizing, de clutter and start a new chapter - where I live there are some lovely retirement flats overlooking the river with balconies