Gransnet forums

House and home

Never putting laundry away

(112 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 15-Feb-23 02:25:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DollyD Sat 18-Feb-23 18:04:28

What a relief! I thought it was just my Dd who has the most enormous pile of clean clothes in her utility room.
At least she folds but the pile of towels on the worktop can sometimes reach a meter high.
Also, luckily I’ve never seen piles of clothes in her living room, so she’s not as bad as I thought.
She does work full time though and has two dogs and a horse to deal with before and after work and cooks lovely healthy meals from scratch every day, so the clean clothes pile is certainly not through laziness.

bikergran Sat 18-Feb-23 17:46:41

My Iron has cobwebs on it! [Hmm]

singingnutty Sat 18-Feb-23 16:44:52

I can tell the same tale as the OP. DS2 and family moved house last year and they now have a bigger spare room in which to keep the heaps of clean laundry - it's all unfolded, crumpled and rarely sorted into piles for each person, let alone put away in wardrobes, cupboards or drawers. Before youngest GC went to school we used to go one day a week to look after him. My job was to hang washing out and/or take it in and fold the accumulated 7 days worth of clean clothes and put them into piles for each family member. They then did actually get put into the appropriate bedrooms (although probably not put into drawers etc.) Now we just go one day to pick the GC up from school at the end of the day. Hence the spare bedroom situation. One of the reasons for the number of unsorted clothes piles is that I think they get a lot of clothes for the children handed down from other family members, so they actually always have more than they need. We were not in that situation when ours were the same age. Both parents work full-time so I suppose there is just a lack of time to keep up with the laundry, but I also suspect that they all have a complete set of clean clothes every day, which makes a lot of washing.

Merryweather Sat 18-Feb-23 16:07:15

Good God. The idea of washing everywhere makes my teeth hurt!
I'm 42, disabled with three children. Youngest is almost three. Eldest is 12. So, masses of school uniform (all 3 as youngest in pre-school with uniform)
I have to wash daily ad there are five of us with towels and bedding plus clothing etc mist days two lots. The washer is always full!
Nothing is left in piles around the house. It's washed, and dried outside or on a rack, on hangers where possible. Then all uniforms and shirts, trousers, skirts etc ironed shirts are stretched with spray starch. Most people I know don't iron but tumble dry and it's ready to wear- Howis this possible?
We don't have an airing cupboard. If I did. It would be a bedroom given the tiny size of our house

AreWeThereYet Sat 18-Feb-23 13:45:07

^ so they sometimes went into his rooms, took his dirty clothes off the floor - had them washed - and then returned them and dumped them back on the floor.^

We did that for FiL when he had vascular dementia and stopped changing his clothes and bathing. His cupboards were full of new clothes but he wouldn't change out of his old ones. We used to take away his old ones when he wasn't around and put new (but the same colours) ones in their place. He lost so much weight his old ones were falling off so his new ones were all smaller sizes.

HousePlantQueen Sat 18-Feb-23 13:12:21

I don't keep an immaculate home, neither am I dull.

It is not about being obsessive about housework, or laundry as is the case on this thread, it is about recognising that 10 minutes of folding clean laundry and putting it in the right bedrooms saves hours of looking for stuff that is wearable during the next week. My children went to school with 3 from a family who always looked as if they had dressed from a jumble sale, or picked up something that had lain crumpled and grubby on the floor since they last wore it. When I went to the house for coffee one day after school, I could see why; there was just piles of stuff everywhere, dirty PE kit mixed in with what appeared to be clean but crumpled clothing. Not a poverty issue, a big house, plenty of income from two professional salaries. I often wondered why they didn't just get a cleaner or home help in a couple of times a week, it would surely have saved an awful lot of time, and embarassment for the children who never had the right PE kit or clean school uniform. Expensive clothing too. As for the inside of the fridge when she opened it to get the milk out............

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Feb-23 12:01:51

biglouis

The only time I iron anything is when Im doing patchwork.

Dull women keep immaculate homes.

That's such an untrue get out clause for those who live in abject filth and disorder don't ya fink?

Gabrielle56 Sat 18-Feb-23 11:59:59

One of my DS and his partner with 3 littl ones do same, everything chucked unpressed/unfolds on couch or let in basket. Washing left in a mumungous pile in corner of their room upstairs so high it rendered their 4doored wardrobes down to 2!! I also would told up washing when I was there child watching, she'd say how quick and efficient I was, then it would be just as bead 48hours later, she didn't work, he did he also had to do shopping cleaning cooking, serious issue with that dynamic

HousePlantQueen Sat 18-Feb-23 10:59:18

Dirty laundry is in the laundry basket in our en-suite, when the lid starts to lift, I put a load in the machine. At this time of year, I tumble dry for a little while then put on the airer in the utility room where it dries over night, then next morning is folded and out away. Very little needs ironing apart from some pure Egyptian cotton pillow cases and a few of sweaters and such, these get put into thee ironing basket in the utility room until there is enough to merit getting the ironing board out. Very different from the days of school shirts and work shirts! My DS and DiL have piles of clothes, but in their bedroom, frankly it would drive me bonkers spending time every morning looking for clothes to wear, trying to find matching socks, but not my problem. I love my utility room, a place for laundry in all stages, and all tucked out of sight.

Dickens Sat 18-Feb-23 10:37:55

Ludwig Van Beethoven was, apparently, an individual who didn't bother overly with personal hygiene and used to just dump his clothes on the floor, where he would pick them up again the next day.
It is alleged that some of his friends were concerned about him walking around in dirty crumpled clothes but didn't want to (or maybe didn't dare) offend him by offering to clean them... so they sometimes went into his rooms, took his dirty clothes off the floor - had them washed - and then returned them and dumped them back on the floor.
It's not known if he was any the wiser. grin

biglouis Sat 18-Feb-23 10:23:22

The only time I iron anything is when Im doing patchwork.

Dull women keep immaculate homes.

NanaPlenty Sat 18-Feb-23 10:07:05

I’ve spent far too many hours contemplating why my eldest daughter and her family seem to live in a constant mess - washing clean and dirty in piles, never ironing, dishes always on the side etc. I find myself always saying well they both have professional jobs, a lot of pressure and not enough time ….. life has changed somewhat but on the other side of that I’ve been there too but always clean and tidy. Yes life is too short to worry about cleaning and tidying but I’m personally much more comfortable generally when it is tidy.
If I’m unwell I couldn’t crawl into bed if the room was messy (probably ocd). What worries me is the kids learn bad habits that will just carry forward to their adult lives, I can’t find it acceptable to leave cups on the side wherever you used them, drop dirty clothes on the floor and never put anything away- sorry rant over !

AussieGran59 Fri 17-Feb-23 23:38:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ronnie2901 Fri 17-Feb-23 20:32:50

*untidy gene. NOT NUDITY 🤦🏻‍♀️😱

Ronnie2901 Fri 17-Feb-23 20:32:01

As a young mum I wasn’t the tidiest, but would always make an effort. Now as a grandmother, I seemed to have passed on the nudity gene to both my daughter and son 🤦🏻‍♀️. My daughter works 4 days long hours, her partner full time equally long hours. I look after my grandson and spend my time between my home and my daughters, their home is mostly always covered in piles of clothes hanging off rads, chairs etc if I don’t fold and put in respective rooms it would stay there all week! The mounting wash basket never seems to empty and they seem to have a permanent floordrope! I feel their busy working lives cause the chaos that then impacts their lifestyle. When I’m at their home it’s like Groundhog Day! I tidy they mess it up - not intentionally but it does become tiresome. As for my son… I won’t go there

AreWeThereYet Fri 17-Feb-23 20:06:24

lizzypopbottle I think you are probably right, at least in many cases. There are probably also families who simply don't have enough storage even without having masses of clothes.

We had the opposite problem growing up and when the children were small, we were never well enough off to have lots of clothes so if we didn't keep our clothes tidy we would have had nothing to wear a lot of the time 😁

lizzypopbottle Fri 17-Feb-23 19:53:44

I think part of the problem is too many clothes!!! My grandchildren have mountains of clothes. One mountain consists of clean clothes belonging to my granddaughter, another is clothes belonging to my granddaughter that have been worn once. Another mountain consists of wet clothes from the washing machine. There'll be a full load going round in said machine. I have two grandsons with similar mountains and additional mountains of underwear and school uniforms. Then there are my daughter and son-in-law's clothes, work clothes, leisure wear, underwear and gym clothes.

LucyW Fri 17-Feb-23 19:45:22

I really don't mind ironing as have a lovely view of the garden from my ironing board. On sunny days I plug in the extension cable and iron outside - a trait I have inherited from my Mum! I don't enjoy putting the piles of ironing away but since there is only me here now it is not so onerous. Used to drive me mad when my boys were younger and the ironed laundry would lie on the bedroom floor!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 19:13:05

My son does all the ironing. When his future mil discovered that she declared him a keeper!

DutchDoll Fri 17-Feb-23 18:48:25

GS2 has just informed us all that his clean ironed clothes needed to have some floor time before being put away! He'll happily empty the tumble dryer of all 4 people's clothes and fold them neatly and put them in their bedrooms!

madeleine45 Fri 17-Feb-23 18:14:44

I am now a widow and live alone and am what I consider creatively untidy!! I make sure I have a whole load for the washer, hang it out to dry - cheaper and smells so much better and worth doing for me. Then I do iron most of my clothes. Have sensitive skin and always use cotton next to the skin. I iron for comfort with such things as underwear, and make an effort with outer clothes My way is to sort through the ironing in temperature order and then I put a clothes horse at the end of the ironing board and can sit there ironing, listening to music or a play and get the job done. Leave on the clothes horse to air for a bit and then all put away. I am probably a bit OCD as I find it pleasing to think that for a (very) short time everything in my flat including me is clean and ironed and I have a total choice of what I want to wear. At the same time I always have collections of papers about the garden or plans for something I am doing, and notes about various happenings to put in the calendar such as open gardens.
Things which need careful reading such as contracts, I read carefully a page at a time so that I dont miss anything - not that there are many of those thank goodness. They are all on the desk in what to others must look a total mess but I know what I am doing!

TwiceAsNice Fri 17-Feb-23 17:12:27

I like ironing I find it soothing. Dirty clothes are in a laundry basket in the corner of the bedroom. Clothes are washed and stuff like tights, socks, underwear are put straight away. Top clothes that need ironing usually get put in an ironing basket and ironed as soon as possible usually the next day. Can’t stand piles of clothes lying on furniture. I’m not super neat over everything but I am over clothes.

Margiknot Fri 17-Feb-23 16:27:32

I will admit to not being very good at putting clean washing away- except my own things. I iron as little as I can get away with ( life is too short for ironing). I dump clean folded washing on a chair upstairs ( in person specific piles) and await its collection. DH is very prompt to put his stuff away but our son ( adult with learning disability) is very tardy. I used to put his stuff on his bed- but he gets in to bed without putting the clothes away so it gets trampled on the floor! Every now and again I crack and put my sons stuff away for him but he will never learn if I crack too often! Sometimes said son sits on the chair - washing and all!

Keffie12 Fri 17-Feb-23 16:19:47

I don't get it either. I don't think its a generational thing. Our 4 adult youngsters and there wife/partners etc don't do it.

Clothes get washed, dried and put away.

However I do not iron. I have one. I can't remember when I last used it

grannybuy Fri 17-Feb-23 16:18:13

I recall, as a child, playing with the boy next door in his house. We had the greatest fun, climbing onto a chair, then the chest of drawers whereupon we jumped down into a mountain of clothing etc. Only later did I realise that this was probably dirty laundry. Although the parents had jobs which would have paid well, they were really feckless. We had a shared wash house and line out back, but they never used these facilities. My mother thought that his mother bought herself new clothes rather than launder.