Gransnet forums

House and home

Should I replace my windows with UPVC

(53 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 24-Feb-23 17:14:00

Years ago we replaced all the windows with dark wood ones. I’ve just arranged to have them repainted: it hasn’t been done for a few years. But the wood is broken on one of them and when I open some of them there seem to be wood lice everywhere. Another window has a strange growth in it! The glass needs replacing in some as it’s gone cloudy. I hate the dark wood. It drains all of the colour out of the room and I long to have white windows. I’m wondering if I’m throwing good money after bad by having them painted. But the thought of the mess that having new ones fitted scares me. I’m going to ask the glass replacement guy to look at them. He did come out a few years ago and was very helpful. The house needs so much work doing. I need to downsize at some point. Should I just let it get worse and sell at a reduced price because so much work needs doing. I really feel quite overwhelmed. Would I regret having solid wood windows replaced with white UPVC? I also think they’re so old the heat escapes out of them: the seal has obviously gone in some of them.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 02-Mar-23 14:44:37

New windows are very expensive so I wouldn't replace them if you might move. When I moved, my windows needed replacing but the Estate Agents advised me not to do anything with them. I could just have afforded upvc and buyers might have taken them out and replaced with wooden, so wasted my money. Where I live now, most people have upvc and many have dark windows.

M0nica Thu 02-Mar-23 13:27:08

Absolutely agree GSM. We have lived in our Listed home for 25 years and apart from our recent hiccup never had a problem with doing anything we wish to do. But we both have a lifetime preference for older properties, have owned several 19th century properties and understand the construction and maintenance of older buldings and understand how listing works

Shortly after we moved in a young couple bought a small listed house down the road and went at the renovation as if it was any old house.

We needed the then Conservation Officers assistance and he was telling us he was there almost daily telling them to undo what they had done the previous day. They were expecting to take structural timbers out and they painted, or rather varnished all the carved oak window frames, which were one of the reasons the house was listed and then had to strip it all off. They sold within a year and the new owners understood what they were doing. They renovated carefully and have since extended the property.

Norah Thu 02-Mar-23 13:19:10

MayBee70

It’s a game changer realising that I can replace with windows that are brown outside and white inside. It means that if I need to I can replace the odd one. I don’t mind still having brown windows outside but couldn’t bear the thought of having mixed colours outside.

Does seem a good solution!

We like having old, well maintained, brown wood on old stone front and sides of our home and white PVC on the back of our home (stone being covered by conservatory, extensions and additions, loft conversion, etc) which makes white wide-view windows appropriate.

My husband planned/ engineered each side view quite well.

MayBee70 Thu 02-Mar-23 12:42:15

It’s a game changer realising that I can replace with windows that are brown outside and white inside. It means that if I need to I can replace the odd one. I don’t mind still having brown windows outside but couldn’t bear the thought of having mixed colours outside.

PamelaJ1 Wed 01-Mar-23 21:40:33

MayBee
You’d have to keep him wined and dined. That could be more expensive that finding someone local😂

Hetty58 Wed 01-Mar-23 20:29:27

Casdon, I do my own adjusting - but find it so annoying and there's a lot of expansion on the south facing windows. What I should have done (I believe) is repair and paint them white - then add secondary glazing. I don't think they are very good quality. A couple I had installed later are much better. The aluminium window and doors in the porch are the best, but were expensive, of course.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Mar-23 19:57:09

Local authorities vary. Some will not countenance double glazing at all in listed buildings, despite the obvious benefits. Others will agree subject to approval of style and materials . They may refuse UPVC. Each is a law unto itself. Never buy a listed building without checking if any proposals you have are acceptable, and that anything already done has the appropriate consents.

M0nica Wed 01-Mar-23 19:44:36

*Blondiescot, our local authority insists on wooden frames. The whole of the back of our listed house at ground level is now double glazed. Replacing horrible 1960s georgian style glazing, with 'cottage' style wooden frames with double glazing.

Blondiescot Wed 01-Mar-23 14:52:04

Having a listed building doesn't necessarily mean you can't install uPVC windows. Our house is listed and we were able to have them, although the local authority did impose quite strict criteria, which meant we couldn't have the ones we had initially thought of and had to go for a more expensive design. However, they are far more energy efficient than our old windows although they look virtually identical.

sandelf Wed 01-Mar-23 14:43:42

Depends on cost vs the value of your house and likelihood/timing of moving. BUT I would gen up on slim profile double glazing and 'heritage' double glazing. You may find there is a style and colour you really like (things have changed a lot recently). As you are thinking about this I'd not have them seen to just now! The actual work is not to be feared - usually very quick.

Norah Wed 01-Mar-23 13:59:05

crazyH

White UPVC windows here - love them - maintenance free - window cleaner cleans the frames when he does the windows .

Indeed.

Our new windows, all round the back of the house, invisible to everyone apart from us are brilliant. Inside our home as well, the wood and pretty moulding, millwork all round the PVC window frames is white gloss - fantastic in loft revision, conservatory addition, 10s of meters of kitchen windows.

I admit to liking clean crisp white in family areas.

crazyH Wed 01-Mar-23 11:53:44

White UPVC windows here - love them - maintenance free - window cleaner cleans the frames when he does the windows .

Georgesgran Wed 01-Mar-23 11:45:28

Where I live - a small development on the site of an old farm steading - like Forsythia all the houses were built with dark wood windows, doors and trim on and in the houses - think Potton style.
Over the years, every house has had the windows replaced and no-one has changed their brown to white. Even new automatic garage doors are all brown, as are any conservatories, but it compliments the style of the build.
Houses here change hands very rarely, so I don’t know if a prospective purchaser would be put off, or not.

MayBee70 Wed 01-Mar-23 11:34:58

PamelaJ1

SporeRB

If you are going to downsize one day, why not replace the damaged windows for new wooden windows and the ones which are cloudy, just change the glass.
Job done and then you can concentrate on the next task eg., replacing your garage roof.

I was also going to suggest just changing the glass. Ours are stained hardwood, we have lots of windows. My DH just replaces the glass if it has blown. If we got the glass company to do it we would have a 10year guarantee but, of course, it costs more. My DH spent a few years working as a carpenter so can do it himself. As they need doing he has taken some wood off the frames to install thicker double glazing.

Can I borrow him please?

Matriark Wed 01-Mar-23 08:53:20

We had dark, hardwood windows in our house. I loved the idea of them, but used to think that the outside of the house looked so dull, and they needed a good overhaul. I was reluctant to change them, but at the beginning of lockdown, we bit the bullet and had white UPVC installed. I love them! They are easy to take care of, certainly warmer, and the house looks so much better. Go for it!

PamelaJ1 Wed 01-Mar-23 01:40:18

SporeRB

If you are going to downsize one day, why not replace the damaged windows for new wooden windows and the ones which are cloudy, just change the glass.
Job done and then you can concentrate on the next task eg., replacing your garage roof.

I was also going to suggest just changing the glass. Ours are stained hardwood, we have lots of windows. My DH just replaces the glass if it has blown. If we got the glass company to do it we would have a 10year guarantee but, of course, it costs more. My DH spent a few years working as a carpenter so can do it himself. As they need doing he has taken some wood off the frames to install thicker double glazing.

SporeRB Wed 01-Mar-23 00:14:53

MaizieD Wed 01-Mar-23 00:03:14

We had all the windows in our house replaced with double glazed units in wooden frames some 20 years ago. Apart from periodically needing repainting they are fine, and efficient in cutting draughts and noise. But our house is 300+ years old and there is no way I would have put UPVC windows in.

However, might not be so easy to do if you have huge windows.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Feb-23 23:21:14

MayBee70

It’s very good wood: the best hardwood you could get at the time. Only a few are cloudy: in fact one of the newer ones is the worst. It would be 11 windows and two doors. And in the kitchen and bathroom I don’t see how it could be done without damaging the tiles. I wish I could just snap my fingers and I would have white everything! I’ve got to have the porch replaced and a new garage roof this year as well. Annoyingly two builders that were coming round to give me advice didn’t turn up today. I’m not very good at making decisions! I’ve wanted new doors throughout the house ( the ones I’ve got are cheap 1970’s ones) but I’ve never been able to decide what style to go for!

We had windows which went cloudy in an extension we had built.
Apparently it can be caused by the type of seal and could be due to using linseed oil putty, so we were told. They were replaced under guarantee.

Zoejory Tue 28-Feb-23 22:37:15

We have wood and we'd always want wood. It's an old house and some in the area have gone down the UPVC route and it looks unusual.

Also a neighbour of mine has had dreadful problems so the low maintenance angle isn't always correct,

Norah Tue 28-Feb-23 22:37:14

Brown PVC outside and white inside works well.

Norah Tue 28-Feb-23 22:35:27

We have beautiful brown wood at the front and sides of our home. Extra work, but looks well with our old old home. Back side of our home - including kitchen and baths, each revision, addition, or loft conversion - white double glazed PVC.

You'd never notice, it's lovely and not at all disjointed.

Maybe try a front and back approach, depending on which windows are broken, buggy, cloudy?

SpringyChicken Tue 28-Feb-23 21:42:45

In your shoes, I would replace the windows. You’ll be cosier and have no maintenance worries.

Forsythia Tue 28-Feb-23 21:25:48

We’ve also got brown wood windows as have all the properties in our little road. Nobody has replaced them with white outside. We are going to have brown UPVC outside but white inside. It will make it look lighter inside I think.

MayBee70 Tue 28-Feb-23 21:16:53

It’s very good wood: the best hardwood you could get at the time. Only a few are cloudy: in fact one of the newer ones is the worst. It would be 11 windows and two doors. And in the kitchen and bathroom I don’t see how it could be done without damaging the tiles. I wish I could just snap my fingers and I would have white everything! I’ve got to have the porch replaced and a new garage roof this year as well. Annoyingly two builders that were coming round to give me advice didn’t turn up today. I’m not very good at making decisions! I’ve wanted new doors throughout the house ( the ones I’ve got are cheap 1970’s ones) but I’ve never been able to decide what style to go for!