Gransnet forums

House and home

Can anyone recommend a gas cooker please

(11 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 26-Feb-23 12:20:00

We had a duel fuel cooker, but the oven went. As I was working and my husband wasn't at the time, I put the choosing of a replacement cooker in his hands. Massive error.

He rang me from the showroom asking "how would you feel about a gas cooker". I said no, I would rather have an electric one, if duel fuel wasn't an option.

He bought an all gas one. (Something to do with us not having enough capacity in our electricity box at home to run the necessary wiring for an all electric one).

Anyway, three years on, and I despite the cooker I have. I suspect it was just the cheapest one they had, rather than it having any particular merits.

The ignitor for the top oven/grill doesn't work, and when you open the top oven door, you have to be very careful when closing it again, as the flame goes out.

The main oven never seems to get hot, so yorkshire puddings, for example, are a no-no.

So if I have to have a gas cooker, I want to be choosing it myself.

I hate gas ovens - I've never wanted or had one before this one - so I really don't know what I'm looking for.

So - can anyone recommend a freestanding, double oven, gas cooker?

I don't mind paying a decent amount of money (up to £1,000 if needs be) for a reliable one.

ParlorGames Wed 08-Mar-23 08:22:42

I can't help with advice regarding a gas cooker but I would suggest that you speak to an electrician to ask about having the correct wiring installed for an electric oven - perhaps get 2 or 3 quotes too. We were in a similar situation a few years ago and it was a relatively easy fix for us. Hope you get matters sorted though.

Hetty58 Wed 08-Mar-23 08:33:13

HurdyGurdy, I would get the electrics sorted, too. You'll just need a separate circuit for the new cooker. Gas is on the way out - so I'd get a good electric one - with an induction hob!

Grammaretto Wed 08-Mar-23 08:50:03

I found the showroom at Curry's had the best selection.
The ones I saw online disappointed in reality
Obviously read the reviews, Which etc but make sure it's right for you.

Open the doors without crawling on the floor, make sure you can read the dials.
Good luck
My dual fuel Smeg is ok but not brilliant and I still miss my Rayburn.

HurdyGurdy Sat 11-Mar-23 19:13:56

Thank you.

I will try and persuade my husband to investigate the electric supply. We had the house rewired about 10 years ago, and had a separate "thing" for the electric shower. Then two years ago, my husband had an EV charger installed, which I think has its own separate "thing", and he's just built himself a workshop (also known as The Monstrosity) and he will need a separate "thing" for the power to that.

So I don't think there is any capacity to add another "thing" for a cooker. But I will give it a try.

Hetty58 Sat 11-Mar-23 19:19:34

HurdyGurdy, there should be capacity for a new circuit. My cooker, shower and workshop have their own - and I have an additional consumer unit (fuse box thing) for the solar panels.

Farmor15 Sat 11-Mar-23 20:01:19

We have had a similar problem with replacing gas cooker in recent years. We always had gas as we live in a rural area and used to be prone to power cuts. I realised that electric ovens are better for baking and wanted to get one with electric oven and gas hob. However, like HurdyGurdy we didn't have the right wiring. An electrician came to look, but didn't come back when scheduled - twice!

I started looking again at all gas models and ordered one, but it's not great. There wasn't much choice. First installer made wrong adjustments (it had to be converted to take bottled gas) and we had to get another installer to sort it out.

Hob is OK but oven fairly poor - hard to get hot enough. However, son, who is into cooking was researching ovens and came across a stand alone oven which plugs into a normal 3 pin socket. anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-oven
He bought one and was so impressed I got one too. I couldn't believe how fast it heats up and things cook much faster than in gas oven. "Normal" electric ovens may be just as good but my previous experience was that they were much slower to heat up, and of course needed their own electric circuit.

So our current solution is to use the hob of gas cooker but mostly the new electric oven, which just sits on a shelf. It includes a steam function and can be used at low temperatures for proving bread.

M0nica Sun 12-Mar-23 13:37:45

There is nothing to beat going to somewhere like Currys and/or John Lewis and fingering the goods, you do not have to buy from them. Make a list of those you like and then research them online. See if your local library takes 'Which?' and check on their latest cooker report.

Never, if my life depended on it ,would I let DH buy any domestic appliance unsupervised. The one exception was when he insisted our new washing machine needed to have been manufactured in Korea. He is an engineer, he had seen the quality and skill of Korea engineering in Korea. But I was still there to decide on the specific model. 10 years on I have never regretted his input. It is still running perfectly and plays me a little tune when the cycle is over.

Grammaretto Sun 12-Mar-23 21:41:29

John Lewis only had split level cookers and hobs in store plus some huge ranges.
They pointed me to their website and referred me to Curry's.

M0nica Tue 14-Mar-23 08:56:15

John Lewis display the goods that as many as possible of their customers buy. Obviously JL customers only have ranges or split level cookers in their kitchens.

25Avalon Tue 14-Mar-23 09:04:59

I have a double oven gas cooker with gas hob. I’ve had it for 12 years now. It is a Cannon Professional and has been very good apart from I very rarely use the top oven as it’s a fiddle to convert it from a grill. Regarding electricity you still need it to light the oven and the hob. In a power cut the oven won’t light as a safety feature.

If you are the one who does all the cooking it should be your choice. Whilst the electrician is sorting out dh’s thing, whilst he’s there ask him about your cooker.