Gransnet forums

House and home

My towels have seen better days - recommendations please?

(53 Posts)
PiscesLady Mon 27-Feb-23 15:43:56

My bath towels and hand towels need replacing and I'm not sure which are the best to buy. I normally shop online so am not able to 'feel the quality'.
I'm hoping you lovely people will be able to advise me because I am too ashamed to hang them on the line!

Granmarderby10 Mon 03-Apr-23 12:18:47

Bought two turquoise bath sheets for a tenner! At the Bakewell Flower Show back in 1999 and only in the last year have they been officially designated as “dog towels”

Glorianny Mon 03-Apr-23 12:14:34

I've got ones from Asda as well. Trying to remember how old they are, possibly 10 years.
I've bought them at TKMax as well- but you have to keep looking for bargains.

yogitree Mon 03-Apr-23 12:13:39

My son had to do a 'business' project at school and he had towels made with the school emblem on. 24 YEARS later, the bath towel I purchased still has its deep blue colour and is the best towel in the house for drying, despite being quite thin. Sadly, the school emblem has come away from the towelling, but I have kept it, holey or not!

Quokka Mon 03-Apr-23 12:05:13

Donate your old towel to your local dog rescue centre perhaps?

HurdyGurdy Mon 03-Apr-23 11:59:29

We were away last weekend and forgot to take towels with us. We bought some "to make do" in Tesco, and I have been really surprised with the quality. Very soft, and with excellent absorbency. Never thought I'd be buying towels in a supermarket, but will be returning to replace some of our old towels.

PinkCosmos Mon 03-Apr-23 11:22:18

I have had some lovely towels from Asda.

I prefer the ones that don't have the differently woven band at each end - see picture. I bought some very expensive Egyptian cotton towels with this band on either end. When I washed them the band part shrank, making the towel bunch up at both ends. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not keen on very fluffy towels either. They look and feel lovely but they don't dry you very well.

dogsmother Mon 03-Apr-23 10:05:53

The white company. Undoubtedly the thickest and best.

Primrose53 Mon 03-Apr-23 09:46:43

I decided on Cancer Research shop also because the charity benefits from me purchasing them.

Shinamae Mon 03-Apr-23 09:45:03

Wasn’t even thinking about new bathsheets until I read this thread.Just ordered three from Dunelm free delivery as well…🤗
To be honest, I can’t remember the last time I bought bath sheets so this is a good thing 😁

Deedaa Sun 02-Apr-23 22:45:19

I bought a couple of big beach towels in a local market about 20 years and I've been using them as bath towels ever since. They are still soft and absorbent.

HeavenLeigh Sun 02-Apr-23 22:28:20

Dunelm is my first port of call

Primrose53 Sun 02-Apr-23 22:14:02

We have a house we let out for holidays. We started April 2021 and bought new towels …. Hand towels and bath sheets. 2 sets in different colours. I looked around before I bought them and decided that the thickest and best value were from the brand new range at Cancer Research charity shop! They have been used and washed almost every week since April 2021 and are still like new and they haven’t plucked like some towels do.

A few weeks ago I bought ribbed bath sheets for our own house at Tesco on their Clubcard scheme and they cost £5.50 each and they look nice too.

SuzieHi Sun 02-Apr-23 21:50:38

Our vets always needs clean old towels. Try your local vet if you want to dispose of any.

Hetty58 Sun 02-Apr-23 20:19:21

I keep some in the porch for drying the dog. When I went to the local charity shop for some more - I found some brand new, luxury Egyptian cotton ones, still packaged, for £2! Apparently, the lady who left them there didn't like the colour. They're far too good for the dog!

Oldbat1 Sun 02-Apr-23 20:11:17

Anyone disposing of old towels please donate to animal and wildlife charities where they will be warmly accepted.

Mazgg Sun 02-Apr-23 19:39:37

I was given some beautiful thick bathsheets and hand towels when a relative closed their guesthouse. Unfortunately I find the bathsheets too big and cumbersome and don't really feel as though I dry myself properly. I am going to buy bathtowels from Morrisons as I have their facecloths and they are very thick and soft. I don't use fabric conditioner on towels as it stops them being absorbent but put white vinegar in the drawer of the washing machine.

PiscesLady Tue 28-Feb-23 15:25:46

Wow ladies, thank you so much for your replies. I had tried Amazon reviews but got rather overwhelmed with so many items to go through, hence my posting on here.
I'd not heard of Hampton & Astley or Out of Eden, thank you NotSpaghetti & Ladyripple, so definitely worth a look as is John Lewis.
Dunelm seems to have come out on top, (not just because of their bacon roll Oreo but well worth knowing, thank you grin) They also have a branch nearby so it is one place I can get to easily.
Aonk That is an excellent idea to start small. I will just buy a selection of flannels or hand towels to start with, before I decide where to get the bath towels.
Nannytopsy I don't always think of sales so thank you, I will look at the White Company as well.
JackyB I agree that quality is best and I always try to buy the best I can afford. I don't have a tumble drier so it's the outside line or an indoor airer.
Georgesgran The local cat & dogs home had already crossed my mind. Good idea, thanks.

MiniMoon Tue 28-Feb-23 11:19:37

My DH bought 2 sets of towels from Waitrose. Very good quality and beautifully soft. He bought them in grey, I don't know if there were any other colours.

skunkhair63 Tue 28-Feb-23 10:04:46

I’ve been pleased with towels from Matalan, which have remained thick and fluffy for several years now.

GagaJo Tue 28-Feb-23 09:59:51

Lovely opening line. Very Alan Bennett.

'My towels have seen better days' said my mother...

Cheeseplantmad Tue 28-Feb-23 09:55:44

shysal

I have been surprisingly pleased with mine from Asda!

Few of mine are from Asda also , I find they are good and wash well keeping their colours .

A lot say how good Dunelms is , not that I’ve bought towels from there , but bought two sets Teddy fleece duvet sets when they were in the sale , I don’t like them much as the fleece doesn’t feel nice on the skin , also they too hot & bulky . Much prefer the set I bought from B&M .

maytime2 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:44:52

I have been buying my towels from Primark for over 10 years. They have a couple of price points but I am referring to the dearest ones. They are thick and come in a range of colours and are sized from bath sheets down to hand towels.
When my daughter was pregnant with my oldest grand-daughter, 10 in July, we bought white towels there ready for the baby. They are still in use today.

Parsley3 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:33:19

M&S towels are my recommendation.

Nannytopsy Tue 28-Feb-23 09:33:17

Another White Company buyer. Aim for the sales. Love their huge bath sheets!

JackyB Tue 28-Feb-23 09:27:07

Thick "pile"! (Not "like"!)