Gransnet forums

House and home

Awnings

(14 Posts)
Franbern Sun 05-Mar-23 16:16:58

I have a good sized patio type balcony to my flat. It is a total sun trap, as it has a stone wahisll up one side of it past the small balcony above me. THis stop any wind/breeze. Much too hot to sit out during really hot weather. Sun moves round there from midday onwards.

This has a large sliding patio door from my Living room, and this door has large full length windows on each side. So, even with the door fully open there is a lot of glass, and this means my Living Room gets vry hot during the summer.

I tried having ordinary parasols on this balcony, but they were not successful. The basis took up a lot of space and they just did not do the job of keeping the sun off the windows. I looked in to an awning, but itg all looked extremely expensive to have a very long one fitted.

Then last summer a new neighbour put an awning on to their balcony that looked perfect. Not fixed, this has a pole at each end that adjusts in height and suctions top and bottom (simialr to those long shower trays).
The cost of their biggest for me was well under a hundred pounds, and this gentleman kindly came and put mine up. His own he disconnected for the winter, I did not dare do that and purchased a weather cover for it.

Because I did not get it until September, I have not really used it yet. It just winds in and out quite simply. When fully open it will give my living room glass (and the balcony) complete protection from the sun.

Okay the poles do take up a little room, and yes, a lovely electric awning attadched to the wall would be better (I got quoted well over two grand for one of those)!!. but for the money this is effective and pretty simple to erect, and very simple to use.

Made by a company called manomano.

Katyj Sun 05-Mar-23 16:24:37

Oh thank you for that Franbern. I have been looking at awnings, I would love one, but the cost ! We’re in a house the lounge faces south west with a patio door and window. We nearly cooked last year 🤣 there’s nowhere else to sit in the house either as the kitchen is at the front and too small. We have perfect fit pleated blinds that are a godsend, but still need to keep the sun from the windows Going to look at Manomano now, funny enough I’ve just bought a console table from them. Very pleased with it.

Norah Sun 05-Mar-23 16:24:39

We love our electric awnings over the very long row of deep windows on the back side of our home. The summer sun is hot, awnings help.

karmalady Sun 05-Mar-23 16:51:28

I wish I could afford electric awnings but the s east side of the house has 2 large french double doors with windows on either side of both plus a half-glass door ie three areas of glass. I managed fine last year by maneuvering two large sail-like structures that are good on patios and balconies. Until the wind came, which it did every mid-day and fortunately when the sun left the back house. I could not take my eye off those sails

The sun took over on the west side, without respite and I followed it by using the window coverings again. I even closed the shutters on the one window north side as the heat was bouncing off my drive and the pale coloured house opposite

I have fragile k rend all over my house so would not get anything that needs drilling into that

Best of all, I have a comfy seat in the shade canopy of some nice small trees that I planted 2-3 years ago. That small area was a godsend last year and the canopy is bigger now. Pruned low down so more shoots grow from about 5+ feet up the trunks. Crabapple and rowans

I shall have to do the cave act again, pull down my perfect fit insulating blinds before the sun hits any side of my house, also close the wooden plantation shutters inside. All in all it worked reasonably

vegansrock Sun 05-Mar-23 17:03:43

I’ve got an electric awning the full width of the back of the house which has large patio doors and would be unusable without it in summer as it’s south facing. Expensive but worth it for the amenity.

Katyj Sun 05-Mar-23 18:19:20

Franbern. Do you know the name of the awning you have ? There’s over 500 on Manomano

Auntieflo Sun 05-Mar-23 18:26:35

Hello Franbern, another here who would be interested in the name if the awning please. Sounds ideal.

Franbern Mon 06-Mar-23 08:46:54

ManoMano OutSunny manual retractable patio awning. 2 5 metre showing as £76.99 at present.

dragonfly46 Mon 06-Mar-23 08:55:25

When we moved here 25 years ago the first thing we bought was a huge awning. Without any maintenance it lasted until last summer when we had it replaced. We use it all the year round, it also protects us from light rain if we want to sit out and has a wind sensor. It also has lights for warm summer evenings. Money well spent!

Katyj Mon 06-Mar-23 09:15:40

Thank you Franbern. I’ve had a look at them but they need securing at the top, so don’t think their suitable for a house. It’s got me looking though they have some that are on a free standing frame that might do. For others looking The Range have some good ideas too.

karmalady Mon 06-Mar-23 09:33:57

Katyj, be aware of how much wind you might get, eg gusts when the awning is out.

I can imagine one here and can imagine it tearing off with its fixing to the wall. Hugely powerful forces. Hence me putting up with a few hot weeks in other ways. Depends very much what your wall is made from eg stone or brick or soft stuff like k rend on the exterior. Breeze block inside the k rend here and very soft thermalite on the inside. Having put long screws into the wall, I know how relatively soft breeze block is, for me, it is not worth the risk

karmalady Mon 06-Mar-23 09:38:16

The other, expensive, alternative is a permanent shade on pillars concreted into the ground but that would shade even on lovely sunny winter days

Last house was pure eco, built with solar shading ie a verandah on first floor and another on ground floor. They were permanent and lovely and certainly helped but in reality, nothing helps that much when the ambient air temperature is very high

Katyj Mon 06-Mar-23 11:06:18

Thank you Karmalady. The wind, yes that’ll have to be a consideration here too. I had one of those clothes dryers fitted on the wall for a while, until the wind bent it and it wouldn’t fold down anymore. I’ll have to have a think .

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Mar-23 14:59:34

Thanks for posting the details.
I see it's sold in several places - including B&Qm Robert Dyas and Amazon.