Gransnet forums

House and home

Vinyl flooring for kitchen

(16 Posts)
truman Thu 23-Mar-23 19:25:28

In my last property I had Rhino vinyl flooring in my kitchen and when we moved it was 25 years old. Apart from the odd tiny mark it was as good as the day it was put down. I have now moved to a new property and the vinyl in this kitchen although fairly new (probably put down to sell the property) is no where near the quality of the Rhino floor. It is also textured vinyl flooring so all the dirt gets ingrained and it is difficult to remove. I have looked at samples in the shops including the current Rhino flooring and there does not seem to be available smooth vinyl flooring anymore its all this textured stuff. I cannot put down ceramic tiles as the kitchen is floorboards. My old kitchen used to take me just 10 mins with a mop and it was clean. Has anyone purchased vinyl flooring they can recommend where the dirt becomes impossible to remove. I also have 5 dogs so you can understand it needs to be tough.

Grannyben Thu 23-Mar-23 20:19:21

I do love a vinyl floor in the kitchen! I'm a big fan of Leoline flooring (had it in 2 homes now). Google www.leoline.co.uk and you can look for stockists near you. Its lovely quality and mine has always been untextured

Scribbles Thu 23-Mar-23 22:02:41

I have Karndean LVT (luxury vinyl tiles) which are smooth and very easy to clean.

Juliee Sun 28-May-23 14:57:04

Karndean is fantastic, but quite pricey. I had lino in my kitchen and it looked as good as new for years. Then after an extension, I had karndean wood put in.
It looked more stylish and is hard wearing, but is possibly a bit slippy for dogs.

Franbern Mon 29-May-23 08:47:49

Amtico or Karndean is the answer.

Franbern Mon 29-May-23 08:48:53

Justto say would NEVER have ceramic tiles in kitchen. They ae cold underfoot, and anyuthing dropped gets broken.

Georgesgran Mon 29-May-23 08:55:53

What about Marmoleum, made in Scotland by Forbo. It’s a 97% natural product and can last up to 40 years. It must be professionally installed (stuck down) but other than that, it might work for you.

eazybee Mon 29-May-23 09:04:00

I have had Amtico for 12 years in a small kitchen and found it good, easy to clean and tough, also warm underfoot.

Bella23 Mon 29-May-23 09:44:36

I had Amtico in our last house brilliant.
Here we inherited ceramic tiles,we can't get rid of as they were put down before the skirting boards and door arcitrivies were put on. I have broken more things in 10 years than in the other 40.Amitico or kardean are what I would suggest.

Caleo Mon 29-May-23 10:00:25

The sheet vinyl (12 feet wide by 19 feet)in my living room is more than twenty years old and still looking good. I chose a neutral beige with a 4mm wear layer.

I don't know if I'd want sheet vinyl in the kitchen, as spills may find their wat under the loose edges between the vinyl and the concrete floor.

JackyB Mon 29-May-23 10:24:31

Franbern

Justto say would NEVER have ceramic tiles in kitchen. They ae cold underfoot, and anyuthing dropped gets broken.

We have tiles, but with the opposite problem. We stupidly bought tiles that were on offer and they are such poor quality that every time we drop something, the tiles crack! I have been thinking of covering them with vinyl but that would mean taking out all of the bottom units.

Grantanow Tue 25-Jul-23 10:06:32

We put Karndean down about 3 years ago in the kitchen and it is very satisfactory. Needs a levelling compound before fitting.

Charleygirl5 Tue 25-Jul-23 10:09:45

This is an old thread

MayBee70 Tue 25-Jul-23 10:16:26

Can’t you put tiles on top of floorboards if you put board down on top of the floorboards? I’m sure I did that in my hallway. I do worry about tiles with dogs, though. I’ve known dogs to be badly hurt when slipping on tiles. I’ve had to cover my hallway tiles with mats because my dog skids around on them. Which defeats the whole object of having tiles in the first place. The ones in my utility room are non slip, though. They’re slightly textured. We fitted them after my first whippet ripped up all the cushion floor that was there!

Whiff Tue 25-Jul-23 10:31:40

Have Karndean flooring in my kitchen and hall way. Had it done since 2019. Nothing has marked it yet and I have dropped everything you can thing off on it. Due my hands.

MerylStreep Tue 25-Jul-23 10:38:35

I think the op might have sorted it by now. They asked for advice in March