Gransnet forums

House and home

Slugs and snail

(15 Posts)
Stansgran Fri 15-Sep-23 16:29:00

But fortunately no puppy dog tails. I have snail trails or slug trails all over the paths outside which I can tolerate but they are also on the outside of the windows at the top part. I think they must live in the eaves . Has anyone had this problem and is there anything I can do about it? I've never seen them on the windows- I do go to bed early . It looks horrid and gives me the shudders. Windows are only cleaned monthly

BlueBelle Fri 15-Sep-23 16:31:48

I ve had them crawl in the house even worse

Granny23 Fri 15-Sep-23 16:56:10

Put out some tubs with left over alcohol in. they will que up to slide in, get drunk and die. Empty the tubs onto a bird feeder. The birds will also fight to eat them and then have a sing song.

PS experience proved that the slugs and snails preferred Beer to lager and spirits to wine.

Oreo Fri 15-Sep-23 19:49:34

Granny23 🤣

Oreo Fri 15-Sep-23 19:52:37

I have slug or snail trails on my wall, and on paving in my back yard but not on windows.I don’t have a real garden tho, just a yard with some pots and a tub, maybe if you’ve a big garden you get loads?

NotSpaghetti Fri 15-Sep-23 20:15:31

Is it really so bad?
Snail slime is even used in cosmetics!

NotSpaghetti Fri 15-Sep-23 20:28:07

Can't you just wash it off ?

Wenmore Sat 16-Sep-23 00:02:09

It can be absolutely dreadful. I had an infestation of them.
As mentioned beer traps are effective, slugs follow their trail home so leave beer traps near the trail. If you catch lots it's fairly disgusting but get rid asap as the stench is horrific. Salt directly on them kills them, as does spray bleach. I had some success with nematodes but l think the timing of using them is fairly crucial for effectiveness. Eggshells, copper wire, many other suggestions do not help if the number of slugs is high, they get hardier the longer they live and multiply at a rate of knots.
Finally, and fortunately, I moved (not because of the slugs and the midnight death forays, but because l found a house with a view (and very, very few slugs).

nanna8 Sat 16-Sep-23 01:52:10

Hate them. They munch up our plants and get into the mailbox and munch up the letters. I tried putting elastic bands in there because they don’t like them and for a while it worked but they are back to their old habits now. I feel happy when the magpies and ravens eat them.

Josephine132 Sun 17-Sep-23 20:35:53

Thanks for sharing this information.

Josephine132 Mon 18-Sep-23 07:12:59

Josephine132

Thanks for sharing this information.

Just like this piece, I have another one to share with you something like <a href="https://www.cozynestliving.com/">cozynestliving</a>.

Josephine132 Mon 18-Sep-23 07:13:47

Just like this piece, I have another one to share with you something like www.cozynestliving.com/

henetha Mon 18-Sep-23 10:53:03

I loathe them! And, because I had the patio doors open a lot in the hot weather, I found a snail trail on the living room carpet. Ugh!

Wheniwasyourage Mon 18-Sep-23 12:47:43

We had a lot more until thrushes moved into the garden. Don't know how to do it, but get a thrush! I suppose get a hedgehog would work too, but sadly I haven't seen on for years. sad

Wheniwasyourage Mon 18-Sep-23 12:50:21

I know someone who used to get slugs in the house until they got a properly-fitting front door. They used to put a line of salt along the carpet just at the door, and that helped. 🧂