Gransnet forums

House and home

Sticky worktops- what to do

(25 Posts)
Gingster Fri 22-Sep-23 08:30:17

On arriving at our holiday home, we found the worktops to be extremely sticky. I’ve googled and tried everything they suggest to no avail. Have no idea what has made them so sticky. Any ideas please. ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Sep-23 08:38:00

I would wash them down with hot soapy water a couple of times and rinse thoroughly.

I have granite worktops and after doin the above I use a either a granite or glass cleaner with kitchen roll to give a good shine,

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 22-Sep-23 08:42:24

Depends what they are made of, if they remain sticky after a good scrub and they are Formica they might be at the end of their life.

If they are wood they will need wire wool over them and oil applied

If they are stone/quartz then a good wash should do it followed by whatever GG recommends.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Sep-23 08:45:35

Gingster my sister had solid wood worktops, they were a nightmare with the constant rubbing down and oiling.

I agree with Oops if they are old style Formica probably best replace as once they are sticky they are finished.

Gingster Fri 22-Sep-23 08:46:11

Yes they are Formica and I think you’re right ‘oops* at the end of their life.
I dont know how old they are but we’ve been here 24years and they weren’t anywhere near new then. They’ve served us well.

Gingster Fri 22-Sep-23 08:47:14

Thanks GG. I’ll broach the subject with Dh. 😬

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Sep-23 08:50:09

Gingster

Thanks GG. I’ll broach the subject with Dh. 😬

There are several companies that fit worktops (usually thin granite or quartz, and much cheaper than replacing with a full granite or quartz one) over existing ones, might be worth a quick Google for ones near your getaway

JackyB Fri 22-Sep-23 09:08:10

If washing up liquid with a scouring sponge doesn't help, try window cleaner or even oven cleaner, if they're available. A bit of elbow grease should do the job, though.

What material are they? And what were the suggestions you've already tried?

welshchrissy Fri 22-Sep-23 09:57:42

It may be they have been very thorough with the cleaning and have used a commercial sanitiser spray this made the tables in our local restaurant sticky . The owners at the time explained it too us when we complained about a sticky table

Gingster Fri 22-Sep-23 10:42:19

I’ve tried …
Lemon juice
White vinegar/washing up liquid
Scouring
Elbow grease spray.
Bicarb.

It’s slightly better but patchy.

kittylester Fri 22-Sep-23 10:57:20

Please get rid of it!!

DH sometimes does Home From Hospital for RVS and he despairs of the number of old people still living with 'sticky back' work surfaces. It can't be hygienic.

Granmarderby10 Fri 22-Sep-23 11:37:46

kittylester I’m guessing here but…most people know when their “stuff” is old tat it’s just that there are other priorities for spending money on.
And some elderly people feel that it doesn’t really matter anymore to them in the grand scheme, only to others.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Sep-23 11:40:23

welshchrissy

It may be they have been very thorough with the cleaning and have used a commercial sanitiser spray this made the tables in our local restaurant sticky . The owners at the time explained it too us when we complained about a sticky table

We had a quick lunch in a supermarket cafe the other week and the wooden tables were sticky - perhaps that explains it as I did see someone cleaning them with a spray in between customers.

AreWeThereYet Fri 22-Sep-23 14:26:23

Do you have any white spirit or rubbing alcohol? You could try a bit on a corner - it's possible the sealer on the formica has been affected by the hot weather. If the stickiness is removed you can recoat the formica with an oil like Butcher block oil (Catskill, Rustin's and others) that is food grade. A thin coat of the oil dries hard like plastic, protecting the formica. You could even try an oil to see if that removes it.

Gingster Fri 22-Sep-23 14:53:22

Thanks for all your tips. I gradually working my way through them.
It is improved but still not quite right.

I’m going to try white spirit next .
🤞👍

grannypiper Fri 22-Sep-23 19:27:09

They may have too many products on them. Try a denture tablet in really hot water a couple of times then just hot water. Apply the denture mixture with a cloth ( don't wring it out) and leave for 10 minutes.

Oldbat1 Fri 22-Sep-23 19:58:53

We have top quality wooden worktops. We have one area where we just cant get rid of the sticky feel. Dh has sanded down numerous times and reoiled but the sticky feel is still there in the same place all the other worktops are fine. Very odd.

Squiffy Fri 22-Sep-23 22:37:55

Might be worth trying Sticky Stuff Remover. WD40 is very good at dealing with all sorts of issues - not just squeaky hinges!

Esmay Sat 23-Sep-23 09:52:50

Have you got a soapy build up of products ?
Try rubbing some vinegar in hot water over them leave it for a while and wash off with plain water .

Gingster Sat 23-Sep-23 18:29:22

The stickiness is gradually going so thanks for all your ideas.
I’ll continue as see how it goes.

Fleurpepper Sat 23-Sep-23 19:47:09

Vinegar and bicarb

SachaMac Sat 23-Sep-23 20:08:35

A strong dilution of Fairy liquid in hot water is effective, being a detergent it breaks through any grease or stickiness. It’s also good for getting grease marks off clothing before putting them in the wash.
Lots of cafes/bars use anti-bac sprays on tables since Covid came along but they can leave a sticky residue on some surfaces.

Nandalot Sat 23-Sep-23 20:17:38

Would sugar soap help? I have just checked and the website I found said it was safe for laminate.

Esmay Mon 25-Sep-23 07:34:56

Apparently, bicarbonate of soda in a paste with a little dishwasher liquid in hot water is the answer to sticky tops.
This came up on my pinterest .

Yesterday , I had a go at the sticky edges of the old kitchen floor with an old toothbrush .
It came up well .

grandtanteJE65 Wed 27-Sep-23 14:48:32

GrannyGravy13

Gingster my sister had solid wood worktops, they were a nightmare with the constant rubbing down and oiling.

I agree with Oops if they are old style Formica probably best replace as once they are sticky they are finished.

Instead of oiling and rubbing down, clean all oil off solid wood worktops, sand them down, wipe carefully then give them three coats of good varnish, Preferably one recommended for sports halls wooden floors.

They can then be re-varnished every five or six years or so.

If you use the sports hall floor variety it can be water based rather than terpentine based - better for you, the enviroment and the food you prepare in the kitchen.

Although our generation survived a childhood of varnished kitchen tables, trays, floors and wooden staircases quite well all over Scandinavia. And varnish was assuredly terpentine based then.