Gransnet forums

House and home

Noise from deaf neighbour

(18 Posts)
hugshelp Fri 27-Oct-23 12:09:19

We have a neighbour who is becoming increasingly deaf and relies on her TV for her main pleasure. We have struggled with the noise for quite some time but would hate to think she can't have the TV on.

It's got to the point where it is having a negative impact on my health. I can't think straight, can't relax in the bath (two rooms away from her lounge but can still hear her TV), can't hear my TV properly without it being uncomfortably loud. My DH is finding it stressful too.

She recently bought a huge new TV and sound bar and put them on the party wall. That made it intolerable and I was wondering how to broach it - bearing in mind she's so deaf it's hard to have a conversation with her. We do sometimes see her family visiting and I was thinking I might get the chance to speak to one of them. Luckily, she is a nice lady and sent her grand-daughter round to ask if the new TV was a problem. I had to say that unfortunately it was. I asked if it could be moved off the wall, as I don't think they had a considered a solution, and were hoping I'd say it was fine, but they said they would do so.

For a few days it was blissfully quiet. I think she left her TV off till they moved it. Unfortunately it's now back on and the improvement is minimal. I'm hoping they'll ask again in the near future but if not I have realised I really am struggling with this much noise and will have to ask them if they can reduce it further.

I'm wondering what else I could ask them to do? I've already got noise-cancelling headphones on but they don't do enough. It's like having a TV on at normal level in the my room sometimes, other times it's more the endless boom of base. It's so loud you can't relax in the garden either if it's on as you can hear it out there - not that I'll be gardening too much in winter. I could live with that if I could have some improvement in the house.

Fleur20 Fri 27-Oct-23 12:24:53

She shoild be the one to get headphones.. not you!
Can you contact her family directly and explain that nothing has changed and can they please help her/you?

BlueBelle Fri 27-Oct-23 13:39:03

Does she have hearing aids ?if not the family need to help her on her way with that one
It’s awful to have something loud coming through the walls of the house

25Avalon Fri 27-Oct-23 13:55:23

I lived next to a profoundly deaf lady. Her son used to play music so loud that the whole house shook (it was a semi) with the vibrations. We were so glad when we moved. I really sympathise with you hugshelp. For your own health you need to talk to the family and suggest the lady has headphones. You could complain to the environment department at your council but I’m sure you don’t really want to do that.

Oldbat1 Fri 27-Oct-23 14:08:23

We both use hearing aids and also use subtitles with any programme which supports it. Our tv isnt loud if we use our aids - the gc vouch for that. There is various system (at a cost) which would help her. You could also get the party wall soundproofed? I do feel very sorry for you as other folks noise is dreadful! Sound bars make the noise so much worse too much bass and treble weve found anyway.

NotSpaghetti Fri 27-Oct-23 14:16:25

My friend soundproofed all rooms on one side of his house after he had this problem. He didn't want to move but was prepared to lose 2 or so inches of every room. It cost quite a bit in materials but he said it was worth it to stay sane.

Really, if next door can't get their hearing any better, and can't manage headphones, they should be the one getting soundproofing!

I think speaking to the family is a good idea.
Ask them in when the TV is on.

Good luck.

Cabbie21 Fri 27-Oct-23 14:36:15

My house is weird. I can hardly tell the TV is on when I go into the kitchen, but it is booming upstairs( or is used to be when DH had it on too loud). So some walls transmit sound more than others.
If you can, I would try to have another word with the family, invite them in to hear how loud it us for you, and offer the various suggestions. Something has to be done.

Vito Fri 27-Oct-23 18:52:38

My mum was terribly deaf, her TV was on so loud it would hurt your ears being in the same room !! She bought herself some earphones ,which were terrific, and solved the problem for the family and neighbours . Best of luck with it all.

lixy Fri 27-Oct-23 19:13:10

My mum uses the text option so she reads what people are saying. It can be very funny. confusing at times but it does mean the TV isn't too loud.

nandad Fri 27-Oct-23 19:32:33

The problem may be that she is using the soundbar but not turning the volume off on the TV. A lot of televisions have their speakers at the back which muffles the sound for the viewer, unfortunately this means that the sound is directed to the room next door, in your case, you. The suggestion upthread to get her relatives in when the tv is on is a good one.

AGAA4 Fri 27-Oct-23 19:48:26

What about subtitles. I use them a lot as I would hate to disturb my neighbour. It's easy to get used to them.

Oreo Fri 27-Oct-23 19:53:25

Fleur20

She shoild be the one to get headphones.. not you!
Can you contact her family directly and explain that nothing has changed and can they please help her/you?

That’s what I’d do too as they seem to be reasonable people.
Otherwise I’d consider moving house.Noise is stressful.

pascal30 Fri 27-Oct-23 21:01:35

I'd write her a nice letter explaining how it is making your life unbearable and if necessary offer to pay for headphones..

Theexwife Fri 27-Oct-23 21:38:23

Ask her family to come into your house to hear the volume. It would probably be best if she had headphones to listen to the TV.

cornergran Fri 27-Oct-23 23:29:29

We had a very similar problem with our previous neighbour. Once her tv was on the wall we could hardly sit in our living room. A friendly chat with her family solved it, I invited them to come and listen. The offer was refused as they knew the tv was too loud. I’m not sure what they did but in a day or two the noise disappeared. Our current neighbours put their tv on an inside wall and we can’t hear a thing. They say they can’t hear our tv, I hope they are telling the truth as I’d hate anyone else to be put through such intrusive noise.

The family seem to know there could be a problem hugsgelp. Invite them in when the tv is on and politely ask for their help. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

hugshelp Sat 28-Oct-23 10:50:51

Thanks for all your responses. I have no idea if she has a hearing aid, we haven't got beyond hello nice day, she doesn't get around very well and we only see her going in and out on the odd occasion if her family are taking her on an outing. She can't stand long enough to chat at shouting levels by the fence.

I'll wait until the family come around and politely mention it again. I suppose I'm just feeling bad about depriving her as she doesn't get out much but I can ask if they've considered a hearing aid or headphones to listen if they don't have any ideas of their own. I think they want to make things better but don't know how. Ofc they may have suggested things that my neighbour is averse to but I'll see how it goes.

25Avalon Sat 28-Oct-23 11:28:44

I wonder if she can sign? Lots of programmes on the TV have someone signing if you switch that option on. Also you can get subtitles for some programmes so you don’t need sound on at all. That could be a further option especially if she has a smart TV.

Aveline Sat 28-Oct-23 11:47:44

Our neighbour was also deaf and her TV volume was a problem. However, she was aware of this and got support from a deaf charity who came round and set up some sort of personalised sound system (a loop?). Problem solved. It must be a very common problem.